talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League 2017/18 - Quarter-Final Draw

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love a Barcelona v Liverpool clash just to see how Barça handle the crazy Klopp approach to attacking football... I actually think Barça would have serious problems with that sort of team because it's unusual in the Champions League.

As for the other ties, well a Real Madrid v Manchester City would be morbid so as to see how big Guardiola can make his yellow ribbon would be a laugh.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Would love a Barcelona v Liverpool clash just to see how Barça handle the crazy Klopp approach to attacking football... I actually think Barça would have serious problems with that sort of team because it's unusual in the Champions League.

After watching tonight's game I am in agreement here. When teams play fast-flowing attack style football we shine the best. It's when theres a very good defensive element to the game that we start to find ourselves winding down and playing nonsensical passes and giving away cheap positions. Also, I really want to see what our front three are capable of against a team that has arguably one of the best midfield-attack linkups in Europe now. 

Hopefully the bottom four in that list draw each other. Don't want another final between two of those.

IMO Man City (despite having no experience) and Barcelona are heavily the favourites to win it at the moment.

7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Hope we draw Real Madrid or Munich

Real Madrid v Manchester City would be brilliant to see.  You'd be massive favourites for that one even without the experience on City's part.  Real are on better form than they were only under a month ago but even with that they're nowhere near functioning at their best.

in the end it's 3 out of 4 from spain.   2 out 5 from england.       City and Liverpool got it lucky by drawing Basel and Porto respectively.

question -  why do english teams perform badly in the UCL ??

last year, it was only Leicester who got into the quarters.    the year before that, only City.   and the year before that - NIL.    Why ???     the only year that two english teams ( chelsea and united ) got into the quarters was during the 2013-2014 season.     Why ??

8 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

in the end it's 3 out of 4 from spain.   2 out 5 from england.       City and Liverpool got it lucky by drawing Basel and Porto respectively.

question -  why do english teams perform badly in the UCL ??

last year, it was only Leicester who got into the quarters.    the year before that, only City.   and the year before that - NIL.    Why ???     the only year that two english teams ( chelsea and united ) got into the quarters was during the 2013-2014 season.     Why ??

English teams play in a more physically demanding league at a frantic speed and don't have a winter break so tend to be burnt out come knock out time and have a lot of injured players    ..unfortunately for Europe, City can now rest players for the CL with nearly having the league won 

22 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Real Madrid v Manchester City would be brilliant to see.  You'd be massive favourites for that one even without the experience on City's part.  Real are on better form than they were only under a month ago but even with that they're nowhere near functioning at their best.

Id love to beat Madrid 4-1 again B|  ..i enjoy beating Munich too, it's good watching Rummenigge lose his shit! xD

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

English teams play in a more physically demanding league at a frantic speed and don't have a winter break so tend to be burnt out come knock out time and have a lot of injured players    ..unfortunately for Europe, City can now rest players for the CL with nearly having the league won 

i see.   the FA is not doing anything about this ??    Could they just scrap that EFL Cup ??

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38497382

The Premier League has confirmed that a draft fixture schedule for next season could see six rounds of games over Christmas and New Year in 2017-18, as opposed to four this year.

That could see clubs playing six games in 17 days from 16 December 2017 to 1 January 2018 inclusive.

3 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

i see.   the FA is not doing anything about this ??    Could they just scrap that EFL Cup ??

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38497382

The Premier League has confirmed that a draft fixture schedule for next season could see six rounds of games over Christmas and New Year in 2017-18, as opposed to four this year.

That could see clubs playing six games in 17 days from 16 December 2017 to 1 January 2018 inclusive.

That might help a bit, or start the league early and have a proper winter break with maybe just the boxing day game

3 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

That might help a bit, or start the league early and have a proper winter break with maybe just the boxing day game

yeah.   to make the boxing day game more relevant than it is now.

17 days --- 6 games.   that's a game every 3 days.

• Subscriber

Honestly I think the two i want to avoid are Barca and Liverpool. After watching them dispatch Chelsea while arguably not playing great things dont look to good for us in that tie. Liverpools speed on the break and counter would pose us the greatest problems out of any of the teams. Hummels isnt fast, Boateng has been up and down in form after injuries and Alaba and Kimmich have defeciences in our own half.

Madrid and ManCity would make for great ties, I would love to go toe to toe with either from a spectacle point of view. Roma is probably the tie every team wants.

21 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Fuck, hardest possible draw.

No way is that the hardest possible draw Juve could've got... Man City, Liverpool or Barcelona would've been much more difficult. Real are there for the taking but the bad luck in this case is how the home and away legs have resulted for Juventus.

As for Barcelona v Roma, obviously on paper one of the "easier" sides anyone could've been drawn against but in Barcelona's case the other side in that easier reckoning would've been Sevilla and there's no way Barcelona would've wanted a Spanish side also considering the Copa del Rey Final with those two is soon to be played.  Barça are favourites but Roma are back on form and have to be respected!

• The topic was unpinned

Archived