talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League 2017/18 - Quarter-Final Draw

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Remember what we did to you in the usa? ;)

yeah.   i thought that was only due to madrid not focused coz it's a preseason match, oh fack was i wrong haha.     City flourished while Madrid slump.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bozziovai said:

yeah.   i thought that was only due to madrid not focused coz it's a preseason match, oh fack was i wrong haha.     City flourished while Madrid slump.

Pre season matches give us quite a bit of inside info as to the real mackoy mate! ;)

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah fair enough, I think the game in September was fairly even until the red card though. We're also much improved from that game early in the season. City rightly favourites though of course

We nearly always start slow for some reason, that's the time you need to get at us, we had a mad 10mins at your place, that was fuckin crazy! xD ..you look like you are in good form now so should be a cracker, we havent won at Liverpool for a long time, just hope our 2 week holiday/hot weather training camp has a good effect on the team

18 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

my lame excuse  -   City played better bcoz they have a lot to prove while madrid has won everything :P  :P 

Barcelona ripped Real apart in the same US tour during pre-season and two weeks later in official competition (Supercopa de España) were torn a new arsehole by Madrid.

The truth is that after this Real's season has been an authentic disaster (barring the Champions League), so maybe there was something to be taken from Real's terrible pre-season tour.

53 minutes ago, Berserker said:

You still haven't achieved anything (besides almost certainly winning the league) something Juve and Bayern do every year. PSG also has a great squad and look, they're already out. Having one of the 4 best squads does not automatically translate into being one one of the 4 best teams. I didn't say Atletico was one of the current best teams, but that they achieved more than you recently, which is true.

That remains to be seen, until you achieve more than the other teams you won't surpass them, no matter how good your squad is.

And man city knocked out PSG just a few years ago you know the year we made the semis of the CL? Must have forgotten that one I guess 

you base things off now and how these teams play? There’s a reason man city have been considered the favourite for the CL or at least one of the favourites.

lets not forget city made the semis a few years ago and lost 1-0to Madrid the champs that year. Seeing as you like to bring up the past from previous years.

50 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

i'm sorry but i have to disagree.

in the group stage, City is joined in with Feyenoord, Shaktar and Napoli.    We all know that Napoli and City will go through and with their last 16 tie, City is VERY lucky to have drawn against FC Basel.     And now in the quarters, they are up against fellow EPL team Liverpool.   Now, this has a fear-factor for liverpool, i don't mean any disrespect to liverpool but as the way it stands, City is the champions elect of england i'm sure that will have a psychological impact on the liverpool players.      Anyone here remembers that All Spain Finals between Valencia and Madrid ??  We can all see that Valencia was unnerved during that game coz they were contesting against the "best" in their league at that moment.

As a Madrid fan I’m sure you know plenty about lucky champions league draws over the years.

43 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Barcelona ripped Real apart in the same US tour during pre-season and two weeks later in official competition (Supercopa de España) were torn a new arsehole by Madrid.

The truth is that after this Real's season has been an authentic disaster (barring the Champions League), so maybe there was something to be taken from Real's terrible pre-season tour.

but the most important of all is the season itself and Madrid facked up, really facked up.

2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

but the most important of all is the season itself and Madrid facked up, really facked up.

It could've happened last season mate.  The play was the same in all factors aside from iffy refereeing (that in itself broke records) and injury-time goals.  Then from February the second string started to obtain results and in so doing create a sensation of security which spurred Cristiano Ronaldo on to score vital goals.  When you look at any situation at the end of a long road you can sometimes forget about the finer details.

That isn't a complaint about what happened but a reasoning to explain what's happening this season. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

It could've happened last season mate.  The play was the same in all factors aside from iffy refereeing (that in itself broke records) and injury-time goals.  Then from February the second string started to obtain results and in so doing create a sensation of security which spurred Cristiano Ronaldo on to score vital goals.  When you look at any situation at the end of a long road you can sometimes forget about the finer details.

That isn't a complaint about what happened but a reasoning to explain what's happening this season. 

well, i can summarize in one word the reason why Madrid is in turmoil right now - complacent.   

Just now, bozziovai said:

well, i can summarize in one word the reason why Madrid is in turmoil right now - complacent.   

Not for me although it could be one of the reasons.  It think it's a lot more complicated than that and this is why a revolution is expected in the summer.  The side is unbalanced and there's only one avenue to goals which entails that player being at the top of his game at a moment where he has become totally one dimensional.

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Napoli finished third in that group. 

Yourpoint about the all Spanish games in this competition can be countered with the Liverpool v Chelsea games in 2005 and 2007. Both years Liverpool were miles behind Chelsea in the league. Both times Liverpool progressed.

Atletico were behind Barcelona in La Liga in 201-52016 in La Liga as well, yet won that fixture on their road to the Champions League final.

I wouldn't rule Liverpool out at all. In fact, this is the tastiest fixture for me as I could see lot of goals over the 2 legs.

7 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Atletico were behind Barcelona in La Liga in 201-52016 in La Liga as well, yet won that fixture on their road to the Champions League final.

I wouldn#t rule Liverpool out at all. In fact, this is the tastiest fixture for me as I could see it ending p 6-5 to either team on agg due to how both play.

Form goes out of the window when two top teams face each other in their respective domestic leagues.  Form goes even more out of the window when facing two top sides face each other in their domestic cup competition...  But form and hypothetical superiority on paper is totally irrelevant when two top teams from the same country face each other in Europe.  That game between Liverpool and Man City is by no means a foregone conclusion and it wouldn't be a major surprise at all to see Liverpool go through.  Hell... When Valverde was asked (pre the quarter final draw) if Sevilla would be a good pairing, he looked at the journalist with incredulity and told him in a straight answer... "Is this your first day as a football journalist?... No, I don't want Sevilla at all!"

51 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Not for me although it could be one of the reasons.  It think it's a lot more complicated than that and this is why a revolution is expected in the summer.  The side is unbalanced and there's only one avenue to goals which entails that player being at the top of his game at a moment where he has become totally one dimensional.

the part that i can't understand is why this super dip in form as a team when fact of the matter is, they have the very same core of players which has won them the back2back UCL crowns, well, minus only Morata and James.     That's why i said complacent coz the starting 11 can rest on their laurels coz they are sure to play week in week out, no internal competition.     Big example is Isco, what the heck happened to him.   Anyhow, this is best discussed in the RM thread :P  

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Hell... When Valverde was asked (pre the quarter final draw) if Sevilla would be a good pairing, he looked at the journalist with incredulity and told him in a straight answer... "Is this your first day as a football journalist?... No, I don't want Sevilla at all!"

haha!! smooth one from Valverde.

1 minute ago, bozziovai said:

the part that i can't understand is why this super dip in form as a team when fact of the matter is, they have the very same core of players which has won them the back2back UCL crowns, well, minus only Morata and James. 

That answers your question mate.  It's been repeated time and time again by the Madrid based press this season that the difference between the Real Madrid of last season and this is the options with the second string and subsequently what's sitting on the bench.  Morata scored 20+ goals last season... Where is that available this year?

Plus injuries in defence, where's the experience to come on like Pepe?

James Rodríguez never really hit it off at the Benabéu, but he was a luxury coming off the bench or for rotation... Where's the option there?

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

That answers your question mate.  It's been repeated time and time again by the Madrid based press this season that the difference between the Real Madrid of last season and this is the options with the second string and subsequently what's sitting on the bench.  Morata scored 20+ goals last season... Where is that available this year?

Plus injuries in defence, where's the experience to come on like Pepe?

James Rodríguez never really hit it off at the Benabéu, but he was a luxury coming off the bench or for rotation... Where's the option there?

actually, there's two in the face of Vasquez and Asensio.    But sadly, Zidane haven't used them too much.

in defense too, when Carvajal was injured, no one was able to cover his place  :(     

Just now, bozziovai said:

actually, there's two in the face of Vasquez and Asensio.    But sadly, Zidane haven't used them too much.

in defense too, when Carvajal was injured, no one was able to cover his place  :(     

True, Zidane hasn't used the second string too much this season and Asensio with Lucas Vázquez aren't the only ones.  Dani Ceballos with Theo Hernández are another two.  Asensio started the season amazingly and nobody knows why he dropped him but it obviously affected him seeing as he's so young and Ceballos not being used is a crime.  But there you have it... The options for solutions when the first team aren't responding haven't been there this season.

Another note on Lucas Vázquez is that every time he's played this season he's taken the MOTM award by MARCA which is damning for Zidane.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the Quarterfinal draw sucked. Certainly none of the matchups I wanted to see (unlike the Round of 16). One of the worst draws in recent memory, the quarters. 

I'm very curious as to just how good this iteration of Guardiola's City team is so I wanted them to get Real Madrid or Bayern. I didn't want a Barca vs City cos that's been done way too many times.

Liverpool vs Roma would have been pretty sweet. Was hoping Spurs could be in the quarters mind. Tired of seeing Juve in the mix.

Sevilla the surprise! How dismal are Utd this season.

Didn't expect Madrid to get past PSG so easily. Don't think Neymar would have a difference in the outcome. The aggregate maybe. Will he be back at PSG next season? Emery needs to go. Hasn't found the formula. Would love to see what a Guus Hiddink can do at PSG.

AS Roma was probably my 2nd choice in Barca opponent after Real Madrid. Everyone else is a been there done that. Didn't want Liverpool. On their day they can beat anyone and everyone. Even without Coutinho.

You can see that UEFA's trying to engineer an El Clasico Final, much the way FIFA wants a Brazil vs Argentina Final. I for one would definitely love to see an El Clasico pairing somewhere in the CL. Just how long can we see these aging once in a lifetime superstars competing against each other on the biggest stage of them all? We're truly living in blessed times. It may or may not matter who wins the World Cup (Portugal won't), whoever wins the Champions League wins the Ballon d'Or. Has been the case all along. Unless someone else really shines in the World Cup. Griezmann was great in Euro 2016, but he didn't win anything. Germany won 2014,  which player on their squad won the Ballon d'Or that year again? Nada.

Neymar.....will he be in the conversation? 3 months away is a long time in football.

Barcelona vs Roma, Sevilla vs Bayern, which is more of the sure thing, I wonder. Everyone's saying Bayern will obliterate Sevilla but we'll see. 

That said, I do respect Heynckes a lot. He's got Muller firing on all cylinders again.

Oh, I forgot to add: Juventus playing Real Madrid over two legs. They may do better against Madrid than most people think. It's not a one-off game. 

If Allegri can pull this off with his less talented squad..............

I've noticed a slight shift in tactics in the CL knockout stage in recent years. It used to that the 1st leg was largely "inconsequential". The first leg was just a prelude to the "final" that is the 2nd leg. The Home team in the 2nd leg always having the advantage.

Now, achieving a good result in the 1st leg is of paramount importance. A good result to take into the 2nd leg. The results of the Barca 0-4 and 6-1 notwithstanding! :D :D

(Let's just say that ONLY PSG could have managed to lose on aggregate like that!! Certainly/probably not a City or any other scrappy English team for that matter, for example.)

• The topic was unpinned

Archived