talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Andrés Iniesta - Life in Japan

On 16/03/2018 at 05:51, SirBalon said:

Heard last night the crazy offer Chinese football has put in front of Iniesta...  We're talking about €90m (£86m) a year with a guaranteed 3 year deal. O.o

Wow! Call me a brazilian mercenary, but I´d go without thinking twice. xD It´s just too money to leave on the table.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15219992874793.jpg

The long and glorious road coming to an end

Everything that has a beginning has an end unfortunately, that's the cycle of life on our planet and nothing can defeat that fact.  It's been almost 20 years of a glorious career both for club and country for Andrés Iniesta with memorable goals but overall it's been his sublime and almost ballet style football that has left football fans throughout the world in awe of this magician of the sphere we call the football.  To recount every one of his moments would be unjust seeing as he is more than just that and we can add to all of it his wonderful mild character with never a word out of place.

There's been much speculation (fuelled by his own words) in recent weeks and it all gives off the sensation that we're witnessing the end of yet another genuine football legend arriving at its conclusion on the field of play.  Obviously his feats will last forever both in the retina's memory and video archives, but it's always sad and almost melancholic to sense that something that seems to have eternally been with you will no longer be a part of your weekly digest.

Iniesta has held various interviews in recent weeks with all sorts of quotes surrounding finalisation of an era.  The latest quote coming from an interview while on international duty where he leaves the sensation of; "This could possibly be the end of the road for me playing for Spain once the World Cup is over."

Whatever his decision may be, he's earned the right to stop when he wants in full knowledge that he's made more than just a substantial mark in the world of football.

If you top playing, thank you Andresito!  Gracias por todo!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The Chairman of Chongqing Dangdai Lifan seems quite confident that Iniesta is joining them.

is it bad that I thought the chairman's name was Dangdai Lifan?

47 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

With that he's alluding to the fact Iniesta isn't Brazilian.  I don't think that's an issue these days... The fact he doesn't score 30+ goals a season has been the problem.  Anyway... I think Iniesta has the recognition of the whole football world on what his worth has been to the sport over his career at elite level.  He's cemented have himself in the all time legends of the sport without a doubt.  One of the best players I have personally ever witnessed.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

With that he's alluding to the fact Iniesta isn't Brazilian.  I don't think that's an issue these days... The fact he doesn't score 30+ goals a season has been the problem.  Anyway... I think Iniesta has the recognition of the whole football world on what his worth has been to the sport over his career at elite level.  He's cemented have himself in the all time legends of the sport without a doubt.  One of the best players I have personally ever witnessed.

Me neither mate!

And yeah, definitely. Also one of my all time favourites. 

Greatest midfielder in my lifetime. Bar none. 

End of an era 

That piece of skill at 1:35 to set up Messi's goal against Arsenal is still probably the best ever moment of technical brilliance i've seen from a midfielder. Incredible. 

• Subscriber

Sometimes I think the man glides and doesn't run. His ability to use both feet to move around/through tight spaces and make defenders look pedestrian is something I'll miss watching. 

42 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That piece of skill at 1:35 to set up Messi's goal against Arsenal is still probably the best ever moment of technical brilliance i've seen from a midfielder. Incredible.

90% of his moves look impossible to do against anyone let alone elite players.  One of my favourite moves ever is on 2:22 against Real Madrid.  Although there's stuff missing there but a lot of the great moves are there.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Greatest midfielder in my lifetime. Bar none. 

End of an era 

The goal itself wasn't bad either, to knock it over the keeper's head and then volley it in. It's probably one of Messi's most underrated goals. Watching those 2 together(and Xavi when he was still at the club) will never be replicated again at the club. I'll never see such magical players together again in my lifetime.

Funnily enough, Iniesta pretty much never scores, he's not a scorer at all. Yet 2 of the most remembered goals from this generation are going to be of him vs Chelsea and vs Holland. He knows when to pick his moments.

2 absolute legends :congrats:

I love him, my all-time favourite non-Arsenal player. Completely agree with Ramos, how he never won a Balon d'Or is a joke. The greatest player to never win it for me,  I just loved the way he moved and the way he glided around the pitch was beautiful to watch.

Julen Lopetegui has expressed his satisfaction at the form of the evergreen Andres Iniesta. The man whose goal won Spain the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Final turns 34 in May, but he is showing no signs of slowing down as Russia 2018 approaches.

Iniesta capped an imperiously inventive display in Saturday’s Copa del Rey decider with a gorgeous goal – he played a one-two with Lionel Messi, employed an exquisite dummy to leave goalkeeper David Soria on the floor, and slotted the ball home from a tight angle – that helped Barcelona win 5-0. He then received a standing ovation from both sets of supporters at the Wanda Metropolitano upon his late substitution, and was named man of the match.

"He has won over fans at every single stadium he's played at," said Lopetegui of his Spain playmaker. “Andres has had a very good season, like he did the one before, and he has always played at the highest level with us.

Andres Iniesta has announced he will be leaving Barcelona this summer after 22 years at the club.

The 33-year-old's announcement came during a press conference at Barcelona's training ground on Friday, bringing an end to a glittering career at the Nou Camp.

The midfielder was in tears during the announcement, which was attended by his Barcelona team-mates.

I feel like I'm old. I grow older every time a Barcelona wonderkid retires (or leaves the club to hunt the last money of his career before the retirement). First it was Puyol, then Xavi, now Inietsa... Damn. how old Am I?

I'm surprised there has been such little talk here given the press conference earlier today. It was pretty much to be known by then but at least on social media, today is when everyone is talking about him.

Hard to disagree with Cicero, and I'm younger than him. Hard to name a better central midfielder in my lifetime. He truly was a wizard. Some insane passing ability and just the way he was able to open up space with a simple pass was astounding. It was obvious he was beginning to get on in recent years and for me that's why Barcelona have begun to struggle by overrelying on him after he began to come inconsistent in recent years. At his best moment though, he was bar none the best midfielder in this century.

I really hope he doesn't take the boring choice and go to China. It would be great to see him in Latinamerica. He knows the language and can try his luck in the Copa Libertadores. Its a bit selfish from me to say so, but I think he's still good enough to be one of the best players here and he would be welcomed at any club. Winning the UCL is one thing, winning the Copa Libertadores AND UCL is special though, as they are the 2 most prestigious tournaments in the world.

FC Barcelona via their Twitter account posted this perfect summary in words of everything Andrés Iniesta has been throughout his career. That’s how great he’s been and there have been many quotes throughout the football world on what Iniesta means and has meant to each one of them. But for now I’ve chosen two that were said yesterday by Pep Guardiola and Zinedine Zidane respectively.

Pep Guardiola

”I need more than just 5 minutes on your question to me where Iniesta is concerned. I need minimum 30 minutes non stop and even then. But Iniesta made me understand football just by watching him on the pitch. Much further than just the titles he’s won, what remains with me is the fashion in which he’s achieved greatness. Not only one of the greatest but his manners have always been exemplary which is quite impressive in today’s football. What’s for sure, without him we wouldn’t have achieved what we did.”

”Describe his football?”

”I think all of us that live and love this sport will say the same thing and it won’t vary with me. The ease with which Iniesta would do moves that are so difficult to do, the way he would look to be floating on the pitch and executing moves with perfection. He was born this way, this only comes naturally and you can’t train to play and move like that. We won’t see another like him ever.”

Zinedine Zidane

”I’ve had the pleasure of going to dinner with Iniesta twice and know him well. With all due respects to Barça, I don’t see him as a Barcelona player because I see Iniesta as belonging to football all over the world. There isn’t a football fan of any team anywhere in the world that hasn’t watched Iniesta and many times asked themselves how he did that move and how he did it seeming to dance gracefully like he was floating. Then we have his manners which are perfect. Iniesta is perfect, as perfect as you can get. He’s done it all, he’s done it with class and he has the respect and reverence of the whole football world.”

3 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

What about the San Mames crowd Antonio? Surely now they will put it to rest but some fans can hold grudges for ever.

San Mamés and and an international against Holland are the only places Iniesta has ever been whistled at. The few Dutch crowd that did it is understandable considering he won the World Cup against Holland in the dying moments (the KNVB the following day criticised the crowd for doing that to Iniesta).  The Bilbao crowd which was a substantial amount brought shock around Spanish football for a while and was a debate for quite some time. The reason being is that the Bilbao fans are known for being very gentlemanly when it comes to football and to be honest ever since its been the opposite. Nobody can accuse Iniesta of all people to be an inciting personality that coaxes negative reactions. Just to prove how Iniesta is as a character, when he was questioned the day after the game against Bilbalo where they whistled him, he answered that they must've had their reasons and that there must've been something he done that he wasn't aware of where it made them react like that.

Archived