talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Andrés Iniesta - Life in Japan

Iniesta for Infinity. Nice. Love it! Gr8 way to honor Iniesta!

If you read the article mate they may very well wear next season's jersey in the final match of the season (does anyone know if this has been done before?)! 

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/05/special-fc-barcelona-infinit8iniesta-jersey.html

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/news/2017-2018/the-andres-iniesta-infinit8iniesta-jersey-on-sale-now-online-fcb-megastore

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/07/barcelona-18-19-home-kit.html

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Iniesta has said Van Gaal is the best coach he has worked under

His real words were "Van Gaal is the coach that has marked my career the most".  But in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if he did believe that because I know a number of Barça players do believe that hadn't it been for Van Gaal, they wouldn't have made the first team. Ask Rashford at Man Utd what he thinks.

On 08/05/2018 at 15:36, SirBalon said:

Maybe Grêmio to replace Arthur! :banana:

It'd be good to see more players at his stage go to Portugal.

The Portuguese league is often full of young stars who are constantly poached by Spanish clubs(and clubs from other big leagues), so them being able to bring in more star players, even when at the end of their career, would really benefit their league alot. I'm not speaking about players who are past it, but ones who still have plenty left to offer, such as Iniesta.

Could you imagine Iniesta at Porto or Benfica @Machado, @ASF? It would make a lot of sense from a footballing perspective, although unfortunately it won't happen as he claimed he doesn't want to ever cross paths with Barcelona in European competitions. Also you've got to bare in mind that players going to countries like China and USA is more for financial reasons than footballing ones. Then again, the MLS is ever improving and maybe I'm being a bit unfair on their behalf as even some quality young players are leaving for there at the moment such as Ezequiel Barco.

The MLS would be a better choice than China for me. Maybe go and play with David Villa? He's another player who could still play in Europe if you ask me.

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Iniesta would literally embarrass the MLS 

Like Xavi in Qatar:-

He looks levels above everyone on the pitch, it just doesn't seem right that he is playing there. Too good.

The thing with the MLS though, is that it's actually a growing league and it's one that you would gladly tune into in order to watch a player like Iniesta. If he must leave Europe and doesn't fancy a country such as Brazil or Argentina(which I doubt he would do) then the MLS is probably the only league he should consider in my opinion. Much better than China, Qatar or wherever else.

4 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The Portuguese league is often full of young stars who are constantly poached by Spanish clubs(and clubs from other big leagues), so them being able to bring in more star players, even when at the end of their career, would really benefit their league alot. I'm not speaking about players who are past it, but ones who still have plenty left to offer, such as Iniesta.

Could you imagine Iniesta at Porto or Benfica @Machado, @ASF? It would make a lot of sense from a footballing perspective, although unfortunately it won't happen as he claimed he doesn't want to ever cross paths with Barcelona in European competitions. Also you've got to bare in mind that players going to countries like China and USA is more for financial reasons than footballing ones. Then again, the MLS is ever improving and maybe I'm being a bit unfair on their behalf as even some quality young players are leaving for there at the moment such as Ezequiel Barco.

The MLS would be a better choice than China for me. Maybe go and play with David Villa? He's another player who could still play in Europe if you ask me.

Not a chance. Too big of a salary for us to afford him.

Would love it to happen, though. 

13 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He would fit into the culture, the lifestyle and the football seamlessly in Portugal without a doubt and with the plus of being next door to home.

But Europe is not an option at all for Iniesta as he has already mentioned many times that he wants absolutely no risk whatsoever of ever playing against Barcelona in the future as he wouldn't be able to do it.

The best bets are on Japan right now with Australia and the MLS also being touted.

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He would fit into the culture, the lifestyle and the football seamlessly in Portugal without a doubt and with the plus of being next door to home.

But Europe is not an option at all for Iniesta as he has already mentioned many times that he wants absolutely no risk whatsoever of ever playing against Barcelona in the future as he wouldn't be able to do it.

The best bets are on Japan right now with Australia and the MLS also being touted.

Ajax need a playmaker, would be perfect :ph34r:, Marc Overmars can pay him out of the 250 million Ajax have in their accounts.  

maxresdefault.jpg

I AM LEGEND

Muchísimas Gracias Don Andrés

22 years at the club and your time has now come to an end on the European scene my friend.  What can I say other than give you thanks for everything you have given me in the sport I have adored since I can recollect with my earliest memories.  I thought about copying and pasting the words of more eloquent people of letters from the multitude of newspaper columns that have been printed this morning in the world's news journals, but instead I have decided to just put my own few scribblings regarding you on this forum I share with a worldwide football community that all share their love for the sport.  I would expect you'll be missed by all and in Zinedine Zidane's (Real Madrid head coach) own words last week "With all due respects, Iniesta doesn't belong just to Barcelona, he belongs to the world of football, he belongs to everyone!".

I thank you Don Andrés... I thank your father for meeting your mother, I thank your mother for giving birth to you and I thank both of them together for being so brave as to leave their beloved 10 year old son to live far away from their parents in a football youth complex called La Masia so as to have given the world of football all these years of entertainment and mystifying awe at your gracefulness on the green football pitches the world over.  You still have a little more to offer us on the world stage playing for your country in Russia this summer, but as for the everyday digestion of club football in the hectic and at times chaotic world of the European game, it's sadly come to an end.  I will miss you!  I will miss your magic and your humble well mannered way you have always held yourself.  Not only are you one of the greatest players to have ever graced a football pitch, but on top of all that you have earned the love and respect of many for human reasons the world over.

It's the end of an era and football is the poorer for it.  But as with anything in life that comes to an end... Nobody can take away the memories!

Thank you,

SirBalon

Sergio Ramos posted a farewell tribute tweet to Torres, Iniesta and Buffon. But was Torres really such a huge legend for Atletico? He didnt really win anything with them except the europa league this season and he made his actual name elsewhere in liverpool and he wasnt even part of the club when they won the league and reached two UCL finals. Maybe he was a fan favourite I assume. 

Anyways I thought Ramos should have included Xabi Prieto in his tribute as he was probably a bigger legend for Sociedad and a one man club who also played his last match yesterday.

45 minutes ago, Asura said:
Sergio Ramos posted a farewell tribute tweet to Torres, Iniesta and Buffon. But was Torres really such a huge legend for Atletico? He didnt really win anything with them except the europa league this season and he made his actual name elsewhere in liverpool and he wasnt even part of the club when they won the league and reached two UCL finals. Maybe he was a fan favourite I assume. 

Anyways I thought Ramos should have included Xabi Prieto in his tribute as he was probably a bigger legend for Sociedad and a one man club who also played his last match yesterday.

Torres' first years at Atleti were when the club were in financial dire straits and sacking coaches all the time.  The club were a total mess and I hope the club understand and show the merit to Diego Simeone that he deserves because it's under his stabilisation that the club were able to root themselves as a contender for things and build on the use of one of the world's biggest league brands.  You may like or dislike Simeone's brand of football (I don't like it) but it was the only method to be able to compete with giants and anchor themselves onto the football money family.

Torres is a club legend because he was very young then and scoring against all sorts at a time when they couldn't compete.

Torres is absolutely an Atletico legend in the same way Iniesta is at Barcelona, even though his career fizzled out in some ways, he was always adored there and still is. As SirBalon says, it was more to do with his presence when they were at a low, he symbolised a hope and loyalty, he turned down Real Madrid too which helps.

20 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Torres' first years at Atleti were when the club were in financial dire straits and sacking coaches all the time.  The club were a total mess and I hope the club understand and show the merit to Diego Simeone that he deserves because it's under his stabilisation that the club were able to root themselves as a contender for things and build on the use of one of the world's biggest league brands.  You may like or dislike Simeone's brand of football (I don't like it) but it was the only method to be able to compete with giants and anchor themselves onto the football money family.

Torres is a club legend because he was very young then and scoring against all sorts at a time when they couldn't compete.

Xabi Prieto is still a bigger legend to Real Sociedad than Torres is to Atletico from the outside looking in, in my opinion. He's been with them through thick and thin, even though he could have played for a multitude of bigger clubs. He's played in a struggling Segunda Division side, he's been relegated with them, promoted with them, played in the Champs league with them, the Europa league and has been there through it all even though he must have had many offers to leave throughout his (long) career. You don't get many players like that in this day and age.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Xabi Prieto is still a bigger legend to Real Sociedad than Torres is to Atletico from the outside looking in, in my opinion. He's been with them through thick and thin, even though he could have played for a multitude of bigger clubs. He's played in a struggling Segunda Division side, he's been relegated with them, promoted with them, played in the Champs league with them, the Europa league and has been there through it all even though he must have had many offers to leave throughout his (long) career. You don't get many players like that in this day and age.

This is what I wanted to say above too. I was trying to say Prieto is a bigger legend to Sociedad than what Torres is to Atletico in my opinion for all the reasons you mentioned.  Unfortunate that I havent put that in better words but this is really what I wanted to say and I found it odd that Ramos didnt include Prieto in his tribute who also played his last match for his club. Anyways its nothing wrong from Ramos as he has the freedom to post what he likes on his personal twitter account but just that it seemed Prieto was not recognised/left alone by the Spanish Captain. 

3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

1 hour ago, Asura said:

This is what I wanted to say above too. I was trying to say Prieto is a bigger legend to Sociedad than what Torres is to Atletico in my opinion for all the reasons you mentioned.  Unfortunate that I havent put that in better words but this is really what I wanted to say and I found it odd that Ramos didnt include Prieto in his tribute who also played his last match for his club. Anyways its nothing wrong from Ramos as he has the freedom to post what he likes on his personal twitter account but just that it seemed Prieto was not recognised/left alone by the Spanish Captain. 

I'll say something to both of you guys in respect to this which is only how I see these things.

We can't measure what a club legend is for any particular respective football club because there are many reasons as to why this may occur.  Let me put this as an example to you...  In the same week another big name said goodbye after many years of residing in the same club, only that it wasn't in Spain but in Italy (I know you all understand now who I'm going to cite). Gianluigi Buffon got quite a bit of worldwide media exposure for his goodbye to Juventus where he had been quite a number of years but yet he wasn't a one club man because we all know he was once at Parma and that at that club he had already made a certain amount of impact... You don't get to be chosen by Juventus when Italian unless you're pretty damned good and more so for a goalkeeper which is a sole position.

Andrés Iniesta was a one club man and achieved practically everything the game has to offer and more during his illustrious career but yet due to the magnitude of both names in this sport, they shared the worldwide protagonism over these past few weeks as to not only their goodbye but also where they could possibly be going from there on.  So what do we have here?  Should Iniesta or those that are more connected to him but still respect how important Buffon has been to the game, should those that are more in tune with Iniesta's goodbye, should they be upset at the fact that Buffon has a lesser importance in his goodbye?  Even more so because Buffon could actually possibly be moving to another European club as he hasn't said at any moment that this wasn't an option.  But yet (I repeat) Buffon has received quite a similar amount of media coverage in his departure from Juve.  Why?  Because he's earned it and because even though he isn't a Juventus product, he is associated with them for all the obvious reasons apart from everything else during his career.

What I'm saying is that there are all sorts of reasons as to why a player becomes a club legend and that when he calls it a day at the respective club, it becomes more than just newsworthy worldwide.

Lets also put into perspective a player's grandeur on the world stage.  With all due respects to Xabi Prieto (and believe me, I have the utmost respect for him) his impact will could never have been as big as Fernado Torres'. Torres is a brand name while Prierto is a cult legend in Spain and an authentic one for his club.

As for Sergio Ramos mentioning the players he did... Well ignoring the fact Ramos isn't all that intelligent (trust me, I'm not being nasty on that remark, it's actually true), he does have good reasons.  He actually played, cohabited and lived legendary international moments with both players.  Plus he will have in his retina that both Iniesta and Torres have had massive impacting careers at the elite level where they've been either part of a deadly rival or been around some of Europe's great clubs and leagues.  His head won't have clicked with Xabi Prieto and I doubt he would've done it on purpose, he is and innocent soul in that respect (think what that last bit actually means, it's no let off or pardon).

Theres been other players that have been in Xabi Prieto's position that have been even more renowned and stayed at one club. I can name one Spaniard in Julen Guerrero of Athletic Bilbao.  Not only could he have gone to big clubs, but both Barcelona and Real Madrid tried countless times to sign him and the great AC Milan side of the era tried time and time again to no avail.  You can't get more respect than that and yet stayed at Athletic Bilbao and won NOTHING except for mutual respect of those in the know.

It is indeed sad Xabi Prieto didn't get the recognition that he deserved that day although he did make every single major national sport daily in more than just a single column the following day.  But you HAVE to forgive the media for focusing more on Torres and Iniesta simply goes without saying.

I can see why Ramos didn't mention him mate as he didn't play with him like he did with Torres and Iniesta, but I still believe Xabi Prieto represents what Real Sociedad are about much more than Torres does Atletico. Torres is just your typical modern day footballer, Prieto isn't.

The problem with marketing is that Xabi Prieto played for Real Sociedad. If you remember when Cazorla signed for Arsenal, most of their fans on here were asking who he is, even questioning if he's good enough as they hadn't heard of him. This is a man who had been ripping Spanish football up for about 6 years and had even made about 50 caps for Spain. Now look at him, the same people who didn't know him pre-Arsenal, claim (rightfully, as he's brilliant) that he's one of the best of his generation. Going to the Premier league gives you higher marketability, Xabi Prieto didn't get that and that shouldn't go against him for me as football isn't about marketing. In Spain it's difficult especially unless you play for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico or Valencia.

Football needs more of these men in this day and age.

Speaking of Prieto, is 34 not too young? I haven't really watched enough Real Sociedad this season(apart from at the start of the season), but he was class in the 2016-17 season and looked to still have plenty left, so I'm surprised he's hung up his boots so soon given that he still has plenty left.

Archived