talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Finland Named as 'World's Happiest Country'

football forum

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-43414145

This year's happiest place on Earth is Finland, according to an annual UN report - toppling Norway from the top spot.

The World Happiness Report measures "subjective well-being" - how happy people feel they are, and why.

Nordic countries regularly appear in the top five, while war-hit countries and a number in sub-Saharan Africa regularly appear in the bottom five.

Burundi was the least happy, taking over from the Central African Republic.

It was thrown into crisis when President Pierre Nkurunziza's bid for re-election to a third term in 2015 sparked protests by opposition supporters who said the move was unconstitutional.

This year's report by the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network also features data about the happiness of immigrants in their host countries, with Finland also coming top as home to the happiest immigrants.

• The Finns love to get hot and steamy in saunas - with an estimated 3.3 million, there are enough steam rooms for more than one every other person
  • They have the most metal bands per capita. The most famous include HIM, Nightwish and Children of Bodom
  • From Lapland, you can see wild reindeer, the Northern Lights and if you are lucky Santa Claus
  • The country's most famous exports include the cartoon characters called Moomins and the mobile gaming app Angry Birds

"I think everything in this society is set up for people to be successful, starting with university and transportation that works really well," American teacher Brianna Owens, who lives in Finland's second biggest city Espoo, told Reuters news agency.

The survey ranks some 156 countries by their happiness levels, and 117 by the happiness of their immigrants.

Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Switzerland were the other countries in the top five. The UK and US came in at 19th and 18th places respectively.

Togo is seen to be this year's biggest gainer, moving up 17 places, while the biggest loser is Venezuela, which dropped 20 places to 102nd.

The world's happiest - and least happy - countries
Happiest Least happy
1. Finland 147. Malawi
2. Norway 148. Haiti
3. Denmark 149. Liberia
4. Iceland 150. Syria
5. Switzerland 151. Rwanda
6. Netherlands 152. Yemen
7. Canada 153. Tanzania
8. New Zealand 154. South Sudan
9. Sweden 155. Central African Republic
10. Australia 156. Burundi

The study found that the 10 happiest countries also scored highest on immigrant happiness, suggesting that migrants' wellbeing was tied to the quality of life in their adopted home.

With a population of around 5.5 million people, Finland counted some 300,000 foreigners in 2016, reports say.

"The most striking finding of the report is the remarkable consistency between the happiness of immigrants and the locally born," said John Helliwell, co-editor of the report and a professor at the University of British Columbia.

The report relies on asking a simple, subjective question of more than 1,000 people in more than 150 countries.

"Imagine a ladder, with steps numbered from 0 at the bottom to 10 at the top.

"The top of the ladder represents the best possible life for you and the bottom of the ladder represents the worst possible life for you. On which step of the ladder would you say you personally feel you stand at this time?"

The average result is the country's score - ranging from Finland's 7.6 to Burundi's 2.9.

But the report also uses statistics to explain why one country is happier than another.

It looks at factors including economic strength (measured in GDP per capita), social support, life expectancy, freedom of choice, generosity, and perceived corruption

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to FInland Named as 'World's Happiest Country'
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

If I had to move somewhere and could speak the language I'd go to Norway. It's the best place I've ever been to, no surprise that they are 2nd with Finland a few doors down top.

Expensive af though... 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If I had to move somewhere and could speak the language I'd go to Norway. It's the best place I've ever been to, no surprise that they are 2nd with Finland a few doors down top.

they were top last year.

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I wonder where Anton would move to 🤔

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm calling bollocks on that

6ab7ee8055f06414bc4b77efaca5ac84.png

Yeah but what if you really want to kill yourself but can't bring yourself to do it and just live miserably forever.

That's hardly more happy than somebody who does kill themselves. 

36 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Same with Russia I think isn't it? The sun actually gives out vibes that make you happy and 24 hours of darkness quite literally makes your mood dip. 

No surprise that there is a correlation between no sunlight and suicide.

Russia doesn't have eskimo culture though I don't think. Its mostly just Canada and Greenland.

15 minutes ago, Blue said:

Russia doesn't have eskimo culture though I don't think. Its mostly just Canada and Greenland.

There's some in Alaska & Russia too I'm pretty sure. Well about Alaska I'm 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure there are eskimos in Russia.

• Subscriber

Plenty of Eskimo and related cultures in Siberia. Chukchi are particularly well known, I still remember them being the center of the jokes in the 80s and 90s (Soviet) Russia.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There's some in Alaska & Russia too I'm pretty sure. Well about Alaska I'm 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure there are eskimos in Russia.

Alaska is only in the very north of the state though. It's a minority compared to in Nunavut and Nunavik. Hence why I chose not to mention them.

• The title was changed to Finland Named as 'World's Happiest Country'

Archived