• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

North America 2026 World Cup Bid Successful

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

So this one will be 48 teams in groups of 3 and a penalty shootout at the end of every group stage draw 😂

That's not confirmed, right?

I thought there was still a lot of pushback to the 3-team in each group format.

Gonna be weird seeing such a big world cup, so many teams, and the format changing so drastically.

The penalty shoot-out in a group game is such an American thing - they don't like that no-one can 'win' and that things like draws do exist. 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

The penalty shoot-out in a group game is such an American thing - they don't like that no-one can 'win' and that things like draws do exist. 

Yeah, I don't know why Americans hate draws so much. But I also think part of it is due to not really thinking 3-team groups through at all & worrying about whether sides in the 3rd round of the group stages will just end up colluding if they've both got a chance of going through with a draw.

16 works for the Euros & 32 works for the World Cup. If it's ever going up, I do think it should be doubled. So to 64 for World Cup. All same, except Last 32 as an extra match. Or no increase.

World Cups were always weird with 24 sides. 6 groups of 4 with only 8 sides not making the Last 16. And before my time there was an odd 2nd group phase for a while.

If 48 teams in groups of 3, that would be 16 groups? Winners only into Last 16?

The more I think of it, the more I don't like the idea. Certainly fixing something that just is not broken.

• Subscriber

There's only one good way to do 48 teams for me.

12 groups of 4.

24 teams go through. The best 8 winners go to the last 16, the others all play a round before that. A bit like what they do in the Europa League now. This is good because it not only makes it top 2 go through still, it incentivises teams on 6 points from 2 to go for it in their last game too.

The latter has been a bit of an issue in this tournament, probably the first proper flaw I've seen with the current system is that there's just that bit too big an advantage to play the pot one side in your third game. Look at the France side that Tunisia faced against what Denmark / Australia had to. Look at the Brazil side Cameroon faced etc...

On 02/12/2022 at 14:28, Honey Honey said:

So this one will be 48 teams in groups of 3 and a penalty shootout at the end of every group stage draw 😂

To be fair groups of 3 could mean more attacking football. But I don't like it myself. I think it might end up being a one of thing if reaction to it is poor. 

Archived