talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

North America 2026 World Cup Bid Successful

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

such a huge area to have the World Cup.

Wasn't around for the 1994 tournament so don't know how they worked it there. 

How will it work logistically? Teams could have their base in New York, for example, but end up playing group games or knockout games in Edmonton or LA. 3-4 hours flight to play in a group game and then a few days later you could be playing back near home which is another 3-4 hours flight. 

As for the venues itself, Atlanta's new stadium should be holding some knockout games at the very least.

With this being the first of the '48 Team World Cups', I'm sure this is going to be the start of the norm. World Cup will probably not be located in countries anymore, but more likely will be regions of the world.

Not only to find places with enough stadiums to host it, but enough people to try and fill stadiums with another 16 games in the schedule.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Huh?

My surname is English, although my parents and grandparents were born in Peru, past that is all England. Actually my grandmother is from Ipswich originally.

is it Smith? xD 

Also, by history, we're all African. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

#TeamNigeria

#NigeriaForever. Good man.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Bertie.

I have never heard that surname in my life and I've lived in England all that time.

Sounds more like a nickname for 'Robert'. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

#NigeriaForever. Good man.

I have never heard that surname in my life and I've lived in England all that time.

Sounds more like a nickname for 'Robert'. 

I never said it was a common surname, just that it is is English.

Think of it like this: what does the surname sound to you? Definitely not a Spanish name.

On 21/03/2018 at 07:26, Berserker said:

We will bid for the 2030 one along with Uruguay and also Paraguay that meddled in last year. Supposedly we have a good chance of hosting it as it's the 100 years anniversary of the first one hosted in Uruguay. Though this info was from last year and i don't know if there will be a problem now with both ones being in the Americas since 2026 probably will be in the US.

Is a World Cup with 48 nations in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay viable, Blakito? Because basically Uruguay and Paraguay have only 2 cities capable of hosting games.  Argentina would have to carry a huge burden. Not to mention the fact the logistics are even more difficult than in North America, whose airports are much better equipped to receive a big influx of journalists and tourists. Don´t get me wrong, I love Argentina´s passion for football and a final at Centenario 100 years later would be a great moment, but I´m not sure it´s realistic.

Honestly, the 2014 and 2016 experience made me totally against Brazil hosting any big events. This is like a wedding, it´s nice to go in other people´s weddings. You drink, eat, dance for free. But when it´s yours, you barely have fun and you also pay all the bill. xD

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Think of it like this: what does the surname sound to you? Definitely not a Spanish name.

I remember thinking it to same myself after listening to your pod: "Brian Bertie, is this dude really a peruvian?" xD

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Blue said:

you said your surname is English. I'm just saying I've never seen that surname of an English here in all my life. Fair enough if it's a historical one though!

9 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I remember thinking it to same myself after listening to your pod: "Brian Bertie, is this dude really a peruvian?" xD

Haha, it isn't a common Peruvian full name, but I do know a few Brian's or Bryan's here!

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

you said your surname is English. I'm just saying I've never seen that surname of an English here in all my life. Fair enough if it's a historical one though!

I remember there was a store named Bertie when I went to England. I'm not saying that's my source of information, but I'm a bit surprised you haven't heard it. Probably is historical to be fair.

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Are you related to Diego Bertie? 

Yes I am. I haven't actually met him but he's my dads cousin, so he knows him personally. They didn't get along well when they were younger. 

21 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Pretty sure the CIA rigged it so your lot won't go to Russia to get their phones and laptops hacked :ph34r:

A joint task force between the US and T&T...

• Administrator

i know it's just been announced today that the hosts have been revealed but is there a timeline on when host cities will be decided? Or when they have to put their bids in as well?

2 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Is a World Cup with 48 nations in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay viable, Blakito? Because basically Uruguay and Paraguay have only 2 cities capable of hosting games.  Argentina would have to carry a huge burden. Not to mention the fact the logistics are even more difficult than in North America, whose airports are much better equipped to receive a big influx of journalists and tourists. Don´t get me wrong, I love Argentina´s passion for football and a final at Centenario 100 years later would be a great moment, but I´m not sure it´s realistic.

Honestly, the 2014 and 2016 experience made me totally against Brazil hosting any big events. This is like a wedding, it´s nice to go in other people´s weddings. You drink, eat, dance for free. But when it´s yours, you barely have fun and you also pay all the bill. xD

Yeah, we would host 8 of the 12 venues. We already have all the stadiums required and even more i think, River's, Racing's, Huracan's, Independiente's, Velez's, Boca's, Rosario Central's, the Estadio Unico de La Plata and the Mario Kempes'. Regarding infrastructure, we were in the process of a massive transformation, new roads, airports, railroads, connections, etc. But the Fed upping their interest rate fucked us hard, so we're gonna have to do lots of cuts because of this. So these upgrades may be pushed back a few years or slowed down, nonetheless i expect to see big differences by 2025 or so, so i'm not worried in that regard.

Haha, guess so, but here people would love to have another one.

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

Yeah, we would host 8 of the 12 venues. We already have most all the stadiums required and even more i think, River's, Racing's, Huracan's, Velez's, Boca's, Rosario Central's, the Estadio Unico de La Plata and the Mario Kempes'. Regarding infrastructure, we were in the process of a massive transformation, new roads, airports, railroads, connections, etc. But the Fed upping their interest rate fucked us hard, so we're gonna have to do lots of cuts because of this. So these upgrades may be pushed back a few years or slowed down, nonetheless i expect to see big differences by 2025 or so, so i'm not worried in that regard.

Haha, guess so, but here people would love to have another one.

I don´t think any of your stadiums meets FIFA´s standards for a World Cup. In our case, it was what happened. Maracanã, Mineirão, Arena da Baixada, Beira Rio all had to suffer drastic and expensive renovations to hold World Cup matches. FIFA is a leech, they don´t put any money in stadiums nor in infrastructure and turn a huge profit. 

Have you seen the voting for the 2026 WC? CBF betrayed the Conmebol pact and was the only south american nation to vote for Morocco. CBF president, the same man who after arriving in Sochi this week said he was delighted to visit the Red Sea (xD), thought the voting was secret. Such an embarassment. I can definitely see Conmebol striking back and reducing the number of brazilian clubs in  continental competitions. Not to mention the backlash from the United States.  

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

I don´t think any of your stadiums meets FIFA´s standards for a World Cup. In our case, it was what happened. Maracanã, Mineirão, Arena da Baixada, Beira Rio all had to suffer drastic and expensive renovations to hold World Cup matches. FIFA is a leech, they don´t put any money in stadiums nor in infrastructure and turn a huge profit. 

Have you seen the voting for the 2026 WC? CBF betrayed the Conmebol pact and was the only south american nation to vote for Morocco. CBF president, the same man who after arriving in Sochi this week said he was delighted to visit the Red Sea (xD), thought the voting was secret. Such an embarassment. I can definitely see Conmebol striking back and reducing the number of brazilian clubs in  continental competitions. Not to mention the backlash from the United States.  

Could be, all those can hold more than 40.000 already though, and some were built or remodeled recently like the last two and Independiente's, we even want to remodel ours or even built a new one regardless of the WC. That is true, they are a bunch of corrupt scummy pricks, but still, it'd would be nice to host a WC.

Lol what a clown, same as the one we have in the AFA. I would welcome them taking a few spots from you and giving it to us though, just to have an even playground. :D Why would he do that though?, do you have good relations with Morocco?

6 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Could be, all those can hold more than 40.000 already though, and some were built or remodeled recently like the last two and Independiente's, we even want to remodel ours or even built a new one regardless of the WC. That is true, they are a bunch of corrupt scummy pricks, but still, it'd would be nice to host a WC.

Lol what a clown, same as the one we have in the AFA. I would welcome them taking a few spots from you and giving it to us though, just to have an even playground. :D Why would he do that though?, do you have good relations with Morocco?

Those FIFA standards are a pain. They have a lot of commercial obligations, seats reserved to sponsors, media accommodations, not to mention the World Cup laws. I don´t think it´s worth hosting such a big event unless you have modern facilities, like countries such as the US, England, Germany. 

No, Brazil and Morocco have zero relations. I mean, geopolitically the tendence is Brazil and Argentina as well turning more hostile to the US in the next decades, considering the chinese influence in our economies, with Colombia aligning with the americans. But this is not what explains the vote. 

In my opinion, he voted for Morocco out of revenge, after all FBI arrested the former president, José Maria Marin. 

3 hours ago, Eco said:

That's disheartening. You'd think they'd put the final in a city that is a leader in the league with MLS attendance. 

Atlanta leads the league in attendance, and has the largest airport in the world. This would seem the obvious choice. 

Yeah, I'm not really big on the MLS because I like Liga MX more (I just think the quality of football is better, plus Tijuana's got a side and that's closer to me than any of the LA sides)... but to have the final be in a US city and not have it be the city that leads the MLS attendances is a bit silly. Especially when you couple it with the fact that Atlanta is logistically the best choice for the final.

But I guess with MetLife you can get shots across to NYC, so the cameramen might enjoy that more. Seems silly though, especially when this World Cup I think will prove to be a logistical headache.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I'm not really big on the MLS because I like Liga MX more (I just think the quality of football is better, plus Tijuana's got a side and that's closer to me than any of the LA sides)... but to have the final be in a US city and not have it be the city that leads the MLS attendances is a bit silly. Especially when you couple it with the fact that Atlanta is logistically the best choice for the final.

But I guess with MetLife you can get shots across to NYC, so the cameramen might enjoy that more. Seems silly though, especially when this World Cup I think will prove to be a logistical headache.

There might be a deal in place to play the Semi-Final matches in 2 countries, and the Final in another, which to me, would mean

Semi-Finals (1) - Toronto
Semi-Finals (2) - Atlanta

Finals - Azteca

3 hours ago, Stan said:

I had a friend with that surname when I was growing up. He was most definitely English. His name was Robert too... but we all called him Robbie. So Robbie Bertie may be a possible relative of yours @Blue - may have some scally up in your blood.

Unfortunately, Robbie was hit by a car 7-8 years ago and his head cracked open on the pavement. The person who hit him was completed wasted. It was a pretty serious injury (his head fucking cracked open). He was in a coma in a few days, but he was either taken off life support when it became clear he'd basically be a vegetable. Sad story :( - probably wouldn't have been reminded of it if not for this Bertie discussion.

Archived