talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

North America 2026 World Cup Bid Successful

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I had a friend with that surname when I was growing up. He was most definitely English. His name was Robert too... but we all called him Robbie. So Robbie Bertie may be a possible relative of yours @Blue - may have some scally up in your blood.

Unfortunately, Robbie was hit by a car 7-8 years ago and his head cracked open on the pavement. The person who hit him was completed wasted. It was a pretty serious injury (his head fucking cracked open). He was in a coma in a few days, but he was either taken off life support when it became clear he'd basically be a vegetable. Sad story :( - probably wouldn't have been reminded of it if not for this Bertie discussion.

shit, that's terrible. sorry to hear that :( 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stan said:

shit, that's terrible. sorry to hear that :( 

It's alright... it happened a while back. Still pretty sad though. I'm a bit more sad generally that I almost completely forgot about that until just now. The cunt who killed him I think got convicted of manslaughter, so there's at least a bit of justice in the sad story too. But it should never have happened and he was pretty fucking young and just having a night out on the town :( 

Back to the world cup though, instead of my sad story...

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

There might be a deal in place to play the Semi-Final matches in 2 countries, and the Final in another, which to me, would mean

Semi-Finals (1) - Toronto
Semi-Finals (2) - Atlanta

Finals - Azteca

I wouldn't mind that at all tbh. Those are good cities for fans to be at and visit and enjoy apart from the final, they've got not only the world's biggest airport... but actually quite a few airports around each of those cities I believe. And I think Azteca is one of the coolest national stadiums & an iconic stadium that I would be happy to see host another World Cup final (not that I saw the other World Cup finals there... but I'd be fine with it seeing another).

• Subscriber

Not enamoured if I'm honest. I mean, it's not Qatar, but it's unfair to measure any host against Qatar as that's such an appallingly bad choice of host it's genuinely challenging to be worse.

Three countries. Is it really necessary? Canada's a lovely place but are they really needed here considering the size of the place and the lack of interest in football? Both USA and Mexico could've gone it alone for me.

Also find 48 teams hugely off-putting. The 24 team Euro 2016 format lead to the worst international tournament I've ever seen, the biggest farce as a side who should've been knocked out in the groups went on to win the whole thing. A 48 team, 16 groups of 3 World Cup is going to lead to even more dead rubber games, and with that many groups, the scenario where Team A beats Team B 1-0, Team B beats Team C 1-0 and Team C beats Team A 1-0 is quite likely, meaning that drawing lots (which I think is ridiculous anyway) is probably more likely to happen than not.

It's got its pluses. They've got the infrastructure for sure and while I haven't looked it up, they won't need to plough loads of money into building a load of white elephant stadiums.

I actually do think I'll try and go to this but that isn't to say that it couldn't have been better.

Were this bid and morocco the only contenders at all? Or were they the final shortlist?

Have read about a terms of declining appetite for hosting these events (WC and Olympics) due to cost reasons and how badly they have hurt in Brazil in South Africa.

I'm hearing the next 2 Olympics only have one bidder....

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Were this bid and morocco the only contenders at all? Or were they the final shortlist?

Have read about a terms of declining appetite for hosting these events (WC and Olympics) due to cost reasons and how badly they have hurt in Brazil in South Africa.

I'm hearing the next 2 Olympics only have one bidder....

It has gotten way out of hand. I know Russia has struggled as well since Sochi. 

There was a time of economic optimism where the job of each host was to outspend and outshine the previous one. 

Hopefully the new normal of prudent investment results in things being more sustainable. 

16 minutes ago, Asura said:

Does this mean all three nations USA, Canada and Mexico will automatically qualify? Or just the USA?

In 2002, South Korea and Japan did. I think they will too. Especially considering USMNT didn´t make it this year, better not take any risks. 

• Subscriber

So this will be the first time Canada qualifys since the mid eighties I believe? Kind of sad but thats another story. Im a bit torn on all this. Very disappointed Vancouver (my hometown) withdrew their bid to be a host city citing Fifa essentially asking for a blank cheque and a whole shit ton of demands with very little transparacency as far as benefits go. Id have to dig it up by our local newspaper published the entire contract purposal and it was kind of absurd. I think it was Chicago and Minneapolis that also backed out. At the same time im excited in my lifetime to have one at home, looking up the venues Ill probably be doing a trip out east between the few games in Canada and the U.S. out that way theres a bunch in a smi concentrated area.

3 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

So this will be the first time Canada qualifys since the mid eighties I believe? Kind of sad but thats another story. Im a bit torn on all this. Very disappointed Vancouver (my hometown) withdrew their bid to be a host city citing Fifa essentially asking for a blank cheque and a whole shit ton of demands with very little transparacency as far as benefits go. Id have to dig it up by our local newspaper published the entire contract purposal and it was kind of absurd. I think it was Chicago and Minneapolis that also backed out. At the same time im excited in my lifetime to have one at home, looking up the venues Ill probably be doing a trip out east between the few games in Canada and the U.S. out that way theres a bunch in a smi concentrated area.

Interesting. I was surprised to see Chicago and Vancouver missing. That explains it. 

Countries I would like to see a World Cup in:

England

Ireland/Scotland/Wales

Spain/Portugal

Italy

Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland

Romania/Hungary

Argentina

Mexico

Argentina/Uruguay/Chile

Australia

Cameroon/Nigeria

Ivory Coast/Ghana

Algeria/Morroco

Obviously there are some political issues with some of the African nations that could prevent it short term, but in general the above. I think the USA getting it again is a travesty and I hope they're not given it for a very long time afterwards as it doesn't need to go to them. But it's a strong market and FIFA love money more than they do Football.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Countries I would like to see a World Cup in:

England

Ireland/Scotland/Wales

Spain/Portugal

Italy

Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland

Romania/Hungary

Argentina

Mexico

Argentina/Uruguay/Chile

Australia

Cameroon/Nigeria

Ivory Coast/Ghana

Algeria/Morroco

So basically a world cup hosted on earth :ph34r:

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Harry said:

Interesting. I was surprised to see Chicago and Vancouver missing. That explains it. 

Yeah, I dont recall If anymore dropped out or not. Heres the article, at the bottom is the actual contract.

https://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics/fifas-shocking-host-city-agreement-for-the-world-cup

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 13/06/2018 at 12:08, Eco said:

That's disheartening. You'd think they'd put the final in a city that is a leader in the league with MLS attendance. 

Atlanta leads the league in attendance, and has the largest airport in the world. This would seem the obvious choice. 

Atlanta plays on an artificial surface. Who would want to play a final on that?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

After this world cup and the disruptions in the regular schedule, teams will play on magma next if you ask them. 

Tempted to go to this, depending on life situations! I have always wanted to go to a world cup and would've done Brazil if I didn't move abroad. Qatar is a no chance, fook that. Russia wasn't good timing for me, so although I have no real desire to go to USA, a world cup is on my dream list!

5 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

Unless they specifically change it for the World Cup, and that might be probable, most of the US stadiums selected have artificial pitches.

I sincerely hope they do something. Would be horrible to have the World Cup on pitches with faded American football markings.

Archived