The better place to talk football.

La Liga - Week 29 Fixtures - 16th-18th March, 2018

football forum

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Stan said:

for some reason, I've got a feeling none of the top 3 will win.

Me too!

Villarreal v Atlético Madrid has draw written all over it and infact that fixture finishes that way traditionally.  Although I will add that Atleti are on absolute blistering form and the only negative in nearly three months was the defeat to Barcelona which is something that's understandable.

If Girona were to get something at the Santiago Bernabéu, it wouldn't surprise me at all because although Real have regained some form (something they didn't have to do much to achieve this as they were frankly terrible beforehand), that form isn't as clear cut as it seems because in this mini winning streak they've managed over the past three weeks has had lots of ups and downs in each game.  Plus Girona aren't scared to attack you as they have nothing to lose.

Finally Barça v Athletic is a classic fixture that provides great games.  The truth is that Athletic's record at the Camp Nou is disastrous historically but something tells me Valverde will be doing mass rotation for this one and Athletic Bilbao are in dire need of forcing something because they've been frankly crap this season.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Me too!

Villarreal v Atlético Madrid has draw written all over it and infact that fixture finishes that way traditionally.  Although I will add that Atleti are on absolute blistering form and the only negative in nearly three months was the defeat to Barcelona which is something that's understandable.

If Girona were to get something at the Santiago Bernabéu, it wouldn't surprise me at all because although Real have regained some form (something they didn't have to do much to achieve this as they were frankly terrible beforehand), that form isn't as clear cut as it seems because in this mini winning streak they've managed over the past three weeks has had lots of ups and downs in each game.  Plus Girona aren't scared to attack you as they have nothing to lose.

Finally Barça v Athletic is a classic fixture that provides great games.  The truth is that Athletic's record at the Camp Nou is disastrous historically but something tells me Valverde will be doing mass rotation for this one and Athletic Bilbao are in dire need of forcing something because they've been frankly crap this season.

yeah i reckon draws in all of them (watch them all win 5-0 now xD )

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

yeah i reckon draws in all of them (watch them all win 5-0 now xD )

Well that's the nature of football, things that look predicable tend to be otherwise! xD

With Barça at least there'll be (or I expect they'll be) a lot of rotation. Iniesta has just come back from injury (early) for the Chelsea clash and he'll almost definitely be rested. Luis Suárez is suspended although I reckon even he would've been rested in this one due to having played practically everything!  Busquets has a minor injury and he's so so important to how Barcelona function that they'll be cautious with him in my opinion and then Alba will surely be given a rest as will Piqué...  I wouldn't be surprised if even Umtiti gets a day off but I'm not sure on that one because it could be too much with such a drastic change in all the defensive mechanics for one game.

Infact the only player I can see playing of the usual suspects is Messi because he had a rest (due to his latest child being born) last weekend and will probably want to play.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Well that's the nature of football, things that look predicable tend to be otherwise! xD

With Barça at least there'll be (or I expect they'll be) a lot of rotation. Iniesta has just come back from injury (early) for the Chelsea clash and he'll almost definitely be rested. Luis Suárez is suspended although I reckon even he would've been rested in this one due to having played practically everything!  Busquets has a minor injury and he's so so important to how Barcelona function that they'll be cautious with him in my opinion and then Alba will surely be given a rest as will Piqué...  I wouldn't be surprised if even Umtiti gets a day off but I'm not sure on that one because it could be too much with such a drastic change in all the defensive mechanics for one game.

Infact the only player I can see playing of the usual suspects is Messi because he had a rest (due to his latest child being born) last weekend and will probably want to play.

Ter Stegen

Nelson Semedo - Umtiti - Mina - Digne

Sergi Roberto - Rakitic - Paulinho

Coutinho - Messi - Dembele

Would expect to see something like that if Pique and Alba are rested.  

23 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

A nice 0-0 against Bilbao would do nicely after the Champions League midweek. I expect mass rotation and Athletic are no mugs!

To be fair though Athletic have been playing in the Europa themselves this week(where they were embarrassing again) so they should be there for the taking, rotations or not, if you ask me.

Coutinho will definitely play and I can't see Messi missing 2 league games in a row. I also believe Dembele should start as he's starting to really find his feet now.

Suarez will be missing due to suspension.

It'd be good to see Yerry Mina get a start.

14 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

To be fair though Athletic have been playing in the Europa themselves this week(where they were embarrassing again) so they should be there for the taking, rotations or not, if you ask me.

Coutinho will definitely play and I can't see Messi missing 2 league games in a row. I also believe Dembele should start as he's starting to really find his feet now.

Suarez will be missing due to suspension.

It'd be good to see Yerry Mina get a start.

That is true that they played on Thursday and it was embarrassing because they're not as bad as that although that's how bad they've been practically the whole season barring a few games where they lost but actually played very well (against Barça being one of those)... Most of the games they've won have been very hard fought sticky games and they haven't flowed at all.

All the same, it wouldn't be surprising for Athletic to give a respectable account of themselves in this fixture even though in general at the Camp Nou they've always been pretty bad.

On the other hand, when you make wholesale changes to a team like it sounds it will be, then it can have terrible effects on the team.  I have a feeling that after the massive reception André Gomes got when he came on for the injured Busquets against Chlesea, that he may get in that first team lineup to see if this actually frees him once and for all.

12 minutes ago, parsportu123 said:

Guys can someone help me? I need to predict Atletico vs Villareal game...What do you think? Atletico is going to win or there will be draw?

To obtain a money making prediction from none other than Talkfootball365 you have to have posted at least 152 posts mate. But for now I’ll give you that the result can go either of three ways 1|X|2 ;)

29 minutes ago, parsportu123 said:

Guys can someone help me? I need to predict Atletico vs Villareal game...What do you think? Atletico is going to win or there will be draw?

Idk i feel like Atletico is taking this W today...

Doing well... You're on a roll now mate.  150 to go for the answer. ;)

Barça have gone down a couple of gears in this second half. If Athletic were to get a goal it would be game on because when you do this you find it difficult to get back into the Rhythm of the game. It looks as if Barcelona are looking for the 3-0 on the counter without exertion. 

FC BARCELONA 2-0 ATHLETIC CLUB BILBAO (FT)

Barça playing economy class in the second half and really sparing the effort to try and coast to the 3 points which in the end is what a occurred. But it could've been different had Athletic been a little more confident in their game for that second period. Still, another massive step toward the title and one game less with three points chalked on the board.  Just to say that Messi was once again amazing and played a complete game, definitely man of the match.

18 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Straight forward 2-0 win really and the only reason it wasn't more is due to the team not taking their foot off the gas in the second half. They took it easy for me.

Another big win though and still undefeated in both La Liga and the Champions league.

The defensive record is extraordinary too.

• 13 goals conceded in La Liga with 29 games played.
  • 2 goals conceded in the Champions League with 8 games played.
  • 2 goals conceded in the Copa del Rey with 8 games played.
  • In total: 17 goals conceded in 45 games.

This is Barcelona we're talking about? :o

Ernesto Valverde :congrats:

• The topic was unpinned

Archived