talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Lucky Are You???

football forum

And by that I don't mean how well you do down the betting shop... xD

My post the other day got me thinking about how Lucky/Fortunate I am to still be here... Call it Blind Luck if you like but I do often wonder if I am being spared for some reason... 

In total to my best recollection I have... 

Survived being hit by a Motorbike in my pram as a baby and got away unscathed.

While going round a roundabout one afternoon the passenger door swung open on my dads car when I was about 7 or 8 as I never shut it properly and as we didn't wear seat belts back then I nearly fell out but thankfully my old man managed to reach over grab me by the arm and pulled me back in just in time.. 

Once when 3 friends were messing about on the old style trains they thought it would be funny to mess about with the door of the carriage and it opened as it was travelling along and it slammed open against the outside when the wind caught it. Without thinking or looking I leaned out of the carriage and pulled it shut again only for another train to rush past on the other track within seconds of it being shut.. 

Me and a mate were sitting by the railway tracks bored one afternoon when we were younger and on holiday and were poking about at some stones with a metal bar near the track when suddenly there was this huge flash and bang and we got hit by shit loads of stones.. got a bit cut up as a result but could have been so much worse.. 

I was travelling to work early one morning when a couple of kids on the overhead pass dropped a log or something similar down into the traffic lane I was travelling in.. It all happened so quickly I couldn't react or move lane in time, luckily it landed just behind me... I won't even bother to mention how many close shaves I have had while being out on the bike... 

I think it would be fair to say on any one of those occasions it might have signaled my demise and yet here I am... What is it they say.. better to be lucky than good?? 

So who is the luckiest person on here??? 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Always considered myself to be pretty lucky.

Almost died at birth (premature birth with complications), had a few close calls as a child (bad case of flu, drowning, choking on food, almost hit by the car), and did a lot of stupid dangerous shit as a teenager that miraculously always ended well. Other than that, I had quite a complicated childhood with a shitload of family issues and hardships, but somehow managed to make the best out of it and even had loads of fun in the process. To this day I still feel that most things go my way in life in general.

*knocks on wood* 

I too had a few close calls as a child, almost got hit by a car, a boy from school that practised martial arts almost breaks my neck by performing a leg lock from behind me when i was sit and obviously not expecting it (was able to get out and break his leg), also almost died from an overdose of coke. Once i was walking home late with 2 other guys 2 blokes with a bike wanted to rob us, they did rob the two other guys but they cut me loose because they mistook me for somebody else. So i was quite lucky in all these events. But last year was a different story as i was robbed of a neat little business that i had, and that has costed me dearly. But i suppose it can happen to anybody.

43 minutes ago, nudge said:

Always considered myself to be pretty lucky.

Almost died at birth (premature birth with complications), had a few close calls as a child (bad case of flu, drowning, choking on food, almost hit by the car), and did a lot of stupid dangerous shit as a teenager that miraculously always ended well. Other than that, I had quite a complicated childhood with a shitload of family issues and hardships, but somehow managed to make the best out of it and even had loads of fun in the process. To this day I still feel that most things go my way in life in general.

*knocks on wood* 

You never think of the danger when you are a teenager though do you.. You just do stuff and then think about it afterwards for a bit then move on and do something just as bad a few months later... That drowning sounds a bit nasty, Can't think of any worse ways to go than drowning or being burned alive, Your car incident has reminded me of another one now.. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You never think of the danger when you are a teenager though do you.. You just do stuff and then think about it afterwards for a bit then move on and do something just as bad a few months later... That drowning sounds a bit nasty, Can't think of any worse ways to go than drowning or being burned alive, Your car incident has reminded me of another one now.. 

Drowning was actually nowhere near bad, I think I was too small to realise the gravity of the situation, at first I got scared but then I remember just thinking how beautiful everything looks under the water until someone got me out, then I panicked due to all the coughing, water, dizziness and stuff xD 

Yeah, most of the teenagers are really stupid twats when it comes to risk evaluation, but thrill seeking is so fun and there's that weird feeling of invincibility xD We used to walk on the edges of tall buildings and railway bridges, climb up to power towers and radio masts, trespass places that were closed to general public, get pulled in sleds behind cars, ride enduros in the woods, and a lot of similar stupid shit haha. I still tend to end up in some weird places from time to time due to curiosity, but these days I only take calculated risks xD 

Do you or have you had a motorbike in Vietnam or Cambodia Nudge? Surviving that is pretty lucky.

I rode one around Ho Chi Minh for a year and survive, somehow. That's pretty lucky on them deathtraps 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Marc said:

Do you or have you had a motorbike in Vietnam or Cambodia Nudge? Surviving that is pretty lucky.

I rode one around Ho Chi Minh for a year and survive, somehow. That's pretty lucky on them deathtraps 

No, that's what I mean by only taking calculated risks these days, haha... rode a friend's bike a few times here, but in remote tiny towns only where there is barely any traffic at all. Will probably move to a small town later this year though, so will consider getting myself a small scooter.

Survive riding around Ho Chi Minh for a year? You must indeed be proper lucky AND crazy :P 

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Drowning was actually nowhere near bad, I think I was too small to realise the gravity of the situation, at first I got scared but then I remember just thinking how beautiful everything looks under the water until someone got me out, then I panicked due to all the coughing, water, dizziness and stuff xD 

Yeah, most of the teenagers are really stupid twats when it comes to risk evaluation, but thrill seeking is so fun and there's that weird feeling of invincibility xD We used to walk on the edges of tall buildings and railway bridges, climb up to power towers and radio masts, trespass places that were closed to general public, get pulled in sleds behind cars, ride enduros in the woods, and a lot of similar stupid shit haha. I still tend to end up in some weird places from time to time due to curiosity, but these days I only take calculated risks xD 

Great stuff... xD

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Berserker said:

I too had a few close calls as a child, almost got hit by a car, a boy from school that practised martial arts almost breaks my neck by performing a leg lock from behind me when i was sit and obviously not expecting it (was able to get out and break his leg), also almost died from an overdose of coke. Once i was walking home late with 2 other guys 2 blokes with a bike wanted to rob us, they did rob the two other guys but they cut me loose because they mistook me for somebody else. So i was quite lucky in all these events. But last year was a different story as i was robbed of a neat little business that i had, and that has costed me dearly. But i suppose it can happen to anybody.

coke overdose as a child? O.o what are you, Paolo Guerrero in disguise? 

They're children until 35 in Argentina.

I had a boring childhood in terms of dangerous antics. I can't think of anything. However, as an adult, one night I lost control of my car and wrote it off. Did some research of the area on google earth after that for some reason, and found where I crashed there used to be a very very big tree. Luckily it wasn't there anymore. 

• Administrator

When I was a baby I gave my mum and dad a bit of a fright as I turned blue/purple from head to toe. They rang an ambulance and it arrived. Got taken in to the ambulance and I was fine xD. Absolutely no idea what it could have been and doctors were somewhat perplexed as well after I went for check ups apparently. Might have just been a bit of poor blood circulation but still a bit bizarre.

I feel a bit lucky in stuff I've achieved but it's not for lack of effort or hard work or determination (so totally different to the stories above). I feel quite fortunate to have been on TV as well as having worked on the front line, so to speak, at the Olympics as a medal-bearer. 

I think my relatives have been a bit 'luckier' than me.

In 2005 my dad was working in London. On the day of the 7/7 bombings he decided to go in late, for reasons I can't remember. But if he'd gone in normal time as was his routine, he'd most likely have been on that tube that got bombed. 

A longer-distant relative, literally, was in Sumatra (Calang, couple hours from Banda Aceh) in 2004 when the earthquake struck and there were tsunamis and the whole aftermath of that natural disaster. Each evening he'd go out to the beach walking with his dog, around 6-7pm, without fail. The dog would happily go play in the water and run around in the sand, as many dogs would. In the few days leading up to Christmas and on Christmas Day, he went for the walk and the dog almost seemed to refuse to go in to the water on each night. At first he thought something might just be wrong with the dog and maybe it was ill or not feeling right. By the time it happened again on Christmas Day, he decided something definitely wasn't right. So he decided to go up to a friends house up in the hills and took his family with him. Lo and behold about 6 hours later the earthquake hit and then the tsunami followed. He's adamant that if it wasn't for his dog 'playing up' on these beach walks, he wouldn't have chosen to leave and would have been left on lower ground. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

When I was a baby I gave my mum and dad a bit of a fright as I turned blue/purple from head to toe. They rang an ambulance and it arrived. Got taken in to the ambulance and I was fine xD. Absolutely no idea what it could have been and doctors were somewhat perplexed as well after I went for check ups apparently. Might have just been a bit of poor blood circulation but still a bit bizarre.

I feel a bit lucky in stuff I've achieved but it's not for lack of effort or hard work or determination (so totally different to the stories above). I feel quite fortunate to have been on TV as well as having worked on the front line, so to speak, at the Olympics as a medal-bearer. 

I think my relatives have been a bit 'luckier' than me.

In 2005 my dad was working in London. On the day of the 7/7 bombings he decided to go in late, for reasons I can't remember. But if he'd gone in normal time as was his routine, he'd most likely have been on that tube that got bombed. 

A longer-distant relative, literally, was in Sumatra (Calang, couple hours from Banda Aceh) in 2004 when the earthquake struck and there were tsunamis and the whole aftermath of that natural disaster. Each evening he'd go out to the beach walking with his dog, around 6-7pm, without fail. The dog would happily go play in the water and run around in the sand, as many dogs would. In the few days leading up to Christmas and on Christmas Day, he went for the walk and the dog almost seemed to refuse to go in to the water on each night. At first he thought something might just be wrong with the dog and maybe it was ill or not feeling right. By the time it happened again on Christmas Day, he decided something definitely wasn't right. So he decided to go up to a friends house up in the hills and took his family with him. Lo and behold about 6 hours later the earthquake hit and then the tsunami followed. He's adamant that if it wasn't for his dog 'playing up' on these beach walks, he wouldn't have chosen to leave and would have been left on lower ground. 

Something like this ??

Image result for avatar movie

Archived