talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Will Not Have a Referee at the World Cup Because of Mark Clattenburg's Greed

For the first time in post-war history, England will have no referee representative at this summer's World Cup.

Mark Clattenburg had been included on the pre-selected group drawn up by FIFA in 2016 and was involved in training for the tournament in Russia, before leaving the Premier League and moving to Saudi Arabia in February.

Speaking on Sky Sports News for Support The Ref week, referee chief Mike Riley confirmed there was no time to replace Clattenburg.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that they have to have a certain number of referees from different places for logistical purposes, but I don't like the implication that there has to be a representative from England. Can anyone name a Premier League referee they'd be happy to have at the World Cup? 

Just now, Burning Gold said:

I understand that they have to have a certain number of referees from different places for logistical purposes, but I don't like the implication that there has to be a representative from England. Can anyone name a Premier League referee they'd be happy to have at the World Cup? 

Mourinho, should have a run out. Maybe he'd poke players in the eyes when they act up.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

the list is bigger for those I wouldn't have, for sure.

Craig Pawson
Jon Moss
Bobby Madley
Mike Jones
Kevin Friend
Stuart Attwell

Of those that I'd consider going
Michael Oliver
Martin Atkinson
Anthony Taylor

And I'd only want Mike Dean to go for entertainment purposes in the sense that he can be hilarious to watch...

I don't see how this is in any way related to greed on Clattenburg's part because clubs have been using oil money and the like in the search to be more successful and players at those clubs make their big bucks from those sources.  Clattenburg being a ref is just another element of football and he's gone where they pay him more without a care in the world to where he's at.

I don't even see how any of this is important to be honest.  Who gives a damn where the ref is from as long as he is honest and does an efficient job.

• Subscriber

It is actually a shame, because whilst we criticise them a lot, the standard of English refereeing is considered to be amongst the very best. Our refs get a lot of major finals etc.

23 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Statistically speaking English referees are some of the best in the world

8 hours ago, Storts said:

It is actually a shame, because whilst we criticise them a lot, the standard of English refereeing is considered to be amongst the very best. Our refs get a lot of major finals etc.

Yeah. I would argue the referees are better than the players at their job

Archived