talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cristiano Ronaldo : Nobody Better Than Me

Cristiano Ronaldo says his belief that no player is superior to him is the key to his unprecedented success.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner has had a record-breaking year with Real Madrid - winning five trophies, including a second successive Champions League trophy, the La Liga title and the World Club Cup.

Despite struggling during the first half of the season, Ronaldo has once again proven his quality in front of goal since the start of 2018, scoring 21 times in 13 appearances.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, context is everything. To be considered the best, your football ability needs to transcend your goals. 

70% of his goals this year resulted in a cross or penalty. Nothing but a target man in today's game. 

Honestly can't wait for Juve to end their season. 

i read something similar last week .... if you'll just read the headlines you'll blow your top but if you read it in full, it'll be an ordinary statement from a dedicated athlete.

here's the link --  https://www.goal.com/en/news/cristiano-ronaldo-compared-real-madrid-lionel-messi/1pl0nhxugppo1i9gxnzcatz6a

"I don't see many people with my talent, dedication, my work, my ethic, my football. No one is going to be compared with me; no one is going to be Cristiano Ronaldo. You're going to be yourself, I'm going to be myself."

as for that article of him saying he's the best in the world, well, it's only his self motivation.

https://scroll.in/field/872721/i-always-believe-that-nobody-is-better-than-me-cristiano-ronaldo-reveals-his-success-mantra

“You need to think big. I always believe that nobody is better than me, out on the pitch at least,” he said.

Self motivation?

Is he thick?

I don't think so. 

He ain’t the best though, no way, not now, not ever. He’s been great but he’s not going to get offered the place on the top 5 Mount Olympus of footballers. 

Like it or not his performances of late have been phenomenal, to post the returns he is doing at 33 is unbelievable. He's actually better in the Champions League too. He seems to start seasons slower and come good at the finale, whether this is a deliberate thing to do with fitness i dont know.

He's cementing his status as an all time great and I can see him doing this for another few years. 

• Subscriber

People would be loving this if it was Ibrahimovich and lauding his "great character" or something. 

In reality, anyone who feels the need to come out with stuff like this while they're still playing is a bellend, especially in football. Sort of get it in boxing or something where posturing is important but these comments go to underline his attention seeking personality.

Ronaldo is insufferable but it's amusing how some people rewrite history when someone isn't a likeable character. "Nothing more than a target man in today's game" might well be an accurate assessment but how does that detract from the greatness of a player who started his career as a tricky winger? Again, countless other great players have changed positions later in their career in order to adapt to their relative strengths as their bodies have aged and been rightly credited for it. Won't hear that from some people when it comes to Ronaldo though as they can't separate their (justified) dislike of him from his abilities as a football player over his career.

Just like to emphasise that I agree with people mocking more cringeworthy comments from this man who I don't like but some usual suspects trying to detract from his capabilities. Really just seems like people don't want to admit Ronaldo is also an all time great because they don't want to breathe life back into the Messi v Ronaldo debate.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

People would be loving this if it was Ibrahimovich and lauding his "great character" or something. 

In reality, anyone who feels the need to come out with stuff like this while they're still playing is a bellend, especially in football. Sort of get it in boxing or something where posturing is important but these comments go to underline his attention seeking personality.

Ronaldo is insufferable but it's amusing how some people rewrite history when someone isn't a likeable character. "Nothing more than a target man in today's game" might well be an accurate assessment but how does that detract from the greatness of a player who started his career as a tricky winger? Again, countless other great players have changed positions later in their career in order to adapt to their relative strengths as their bodies have aged and been rightly credited for it. Won't hear that from some people when it comes to Ronaldo though as they can't separate their (justified) dislike of him from his abilities as a football player over his career.

Just like to emphasise that I agree with people mocking more cringeworthy comments from this man who I don't like but some usual suspects trying to detract from his capabilities. Really just seems like people don't want to admit Ronaldo is also an all time great because they don't want to breathe life back into the Messi v Ronaldo debate.

That's a great post and very true in everything you say.  On the final reference to "not admitting he's an all time great" I hope that's not aimed at my comment on when I said he's not in the top 5 Mount Olympus of footballers.  You don't have to be that great to be one of the greats, but he's not up there.

I have a friend who is of Portuguese heritage (his parents) and he's always been a great Cristiano Ronaldo fan even though he's a Tottenham supporter.  Obviously his heritage wants someone like Cristiano to do as well as possible and I get that... But even he, when Cristiano comes out with threse types of comments (which in fairness have become less over the last couple of years) he puts on that type of face which looks like please, no, don't let this be true.  On this last statement he Whatsapped me and said that he's only creating more detractors and actually belittling how good he's actually been, which I agree.

No player before has needed to inform the public via a journalist as to how good he is.  Everyone has been wise enough to be able to place them in more or less the rightful place amongst the greats.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Ibrahimovic does it with a wry smile and a sense of self-awareness of how ridiculous it all is. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I've literally praised Ronaldo for his consistency and have him in my top 6 footballers ever for that very reason. I've also said on multiple occasions Ronaldo has a heart of gold outside the pitch. 

However, my point still stands. He's no where near as talented as he was in 2008-2013, and he has adjusted his game for the sake of scoring goals. Footballing ability must transcend your goals, and you can't say that about Ronaldo anymore, which is my main point. Yes he's still scoring goals, but to spout this nonsense clearly has him deluded and arrogant. 

No personal vendettas, just what we've all noticed. Messi, Maradona, Di Stefano, Garrincha, Pele, should undoubtedly be valued higher than him on a footballing aspect. 

For me personally I would imagine football is getting better. Advances in sport science and fitness, psychology.  If all footballers ever played at the same time with the same resources it would probably be different but for me messi and ronaldo are the best ever. But in twenty years there will be better players.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

For me personally I would imagine football is getting better. Advances in sport science and fitness, psychology.  If all footballers ever played at the same time with the same resources it would probably be different but for me messi and ronaldo are the best ever. But in twenty years there will be better players.

Back in the day they also didn't have other things that evolution and technology has brought us like light balls that don't fill up with water and end up weighing 7 times more than what was already a heavy leather ball.  They also didn't have the protection from referees as many more possible career ending tackles were permitted... Hell, they didn't even have bookings at one stage. The pitches were also terrible and you can forget the luxury under soil heating.  Kits hadn't technoligically evovled and with rain weighed 5 times more than originally and also the sweat stayed in as there was no perspiration technology... Boots were primitive and players would have their feet bandaged first before going out to play in those boots and we're only talking pre mid 80s there.  I could go on and on...  But football started when?

38 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Back in the day they also didn't have other things that evolution and technology has brought us like light balls that don't fill up with water and end up weighing 7 times more than what was already a heavy leather ball.  They also didn't have the protection from referees as many more possible career ending tackles were permitted... Hell, they didn't even have bookings at one stage. The pitches were also terrible and you can forget the luxury under soil heating.  Kits hadn't technoligically evovled and with rain weighed 5 times more than originally and also the sweat stayed in as there was no perspiration technology... Boots were primitive and players would have their feet bandaged first before going out to play in those boots and we're only talking pre mid 80s there.  I could go on and on...  But football started when?

I have no interest in what you have to say. I've have you on block but for some reason that post got through.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

If you were to take Pele into today's game, how do you think he'd fair?

Honest Question. 

Not to sure but when you look at some of the famous goals he scored he had so much space. Possibly what you would expect from a league one side. However if he was born today with modern resources I'm sure he would be a great player. Other things to consider are the life style it takes to be a footballer today. In now days footballers have to devout their whole life to football to keep themselves fit. This wasn't the case years ago. Would George Best have the discipline to be a great footballer in now days? I'm not so sure. Although obviously they are ridiculously well paid as well.

19 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I have no interest in what you have to say. I've have you on block but for some reason that post got through.

You’d do well to read and learn like we all do and not he so frivolous in making blanket statements. What I wrote and answered you with is questioning what you wrote... ;)

Now, don’t block me because it seems you’ll benefit a lot more from reading what I have to tell you. 

22 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You’d do well to read and learn like we all do and not he so frivolous in making blanket statements. What I wrote and answered you with is questioning what you wrote... ;)

Now, don’t block me because it seems you’ll benefit a lot more from reading what I have to tell you. 

I have no issue with learning. If you read through my posts I've said in numerous occasions my knowledge on football isn't great. Probably the worst in the forum. But you can be very patronising self opinionated and not particularly nice to be honest. I respect your knowledge. I've asked you questions on numerous occasions. But I don't like the way you say things sometimes. You've even admitted yourself you're not that patient.

In his defense, that is the mentality you have to have if you want to be the best. If you ever hear an interview with Lebron James he's the same way. You always have to be hungry and prove you are the best. If he is or is not is left to be decided, but if you don't think like that you'll never be more than mediocre.

8 minutes ago, Dickie said:

In his defense, that is the mentality you have to have if you want to be the best. If you ever hear an interview with Lebron James he's the same way. You always have to be hungry and prove you are the best. If he is or is not is left to be decided, but if you don't think like that you'll never be more than mediocre.

There's having that mentally, then there's what he's doing. Showing off his arrogance with absolutely zero humility. 

I'm fairly certain Messi thinks the same way, but he never publicly states it. Always says he is blessed to play with Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, etc and that he doesn't consider himself the very best but rather among the best. He always says there are players he views are just as good as him (which is total bollocks)

That's the difference between the two. 

35 minutes ago, Cicero said:

There's having that mentally, then there's what he's doing. Showing off his arrogance with absolutely zero humility. 

I'm fairly certain Messi thinks the same way, but he never publicly states it. Always says he is blessed to play with Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, etc and that he doesn't consider himself the very best but rather among the best. He always says there are players he views are just as good as him (which is total bollocks)

That's the difference between the two. 

I know what your saying and I don't like him either. But I think his mentality makes him a better player. I mean most boxers mma fighters etc are told they have to have that attitude and I think it does help him

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I have no issue with learning. If you read through my posts I've said in numerous occasions my knowledge on football isn't great. Probably the worst in the forum. But you can be very patronising self opinionated and not particularly nice to be honest. I respect your knowledge. I've asked you questions on numerous occasions. But I don't like the way you say things sometimes. You've even admitted yourself you're not that patient.

Let’s let bygones be bygones mate. I apologise if I’ve made you feel the way you have felt but I promise that it hasn’t been my intention to come across that way. To be honest I’m very demanding in everything in life and sometimes one must learn to let go. But what’s for sure is that there is always something new to learn and that includes beliefs that we almost hold sacred. 

Sorry dude! ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with what he's said. Sure he comes off as arrogant, but in our generation of players there are two players that stand out above the rest - Messi and CRonaldo. So he's got a bit of a right to be arrogant. He's also dealt with a lot of criticism about his form this season - if he didn't believe in himself he'd probably lose confidence and not hit a rich vein of form like he has. But he's worked hard and even at 33 and losing pace, he's evolved from a tricky winger into a deadly striker.  And he's proven a lot of people wrong about him being totally finished at a top level.

Archived