talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ronald Koeman Over Everton Sacking

Ronald Koeman says he is over the disappointment of being sacked by Everton and is honoured to take charge of the Netherlands for the first time against England. 

Koeman, who was replaced by Sam Allardyce as Toffees boss in October, welcomes England to the Amsterdam Arena on Friday, and anticipates a "great game".

The 54-year-old has been tasked with returning the Dutch to the global stage after they failed to qualify for Euro 2016 and the upcoming World Cup under Danny Blind and Dick Advocaat.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

In hindsight I look at the situation with Walsh here, and the situation with Walsh at Everton, and they really were so different. He signed Mahrez and Vardy when we were in the Championship spending a fraction of what we, or Everton do now. We were forced into unearthing gems.

Everton now wouldn't have given either of them the time to grow into what they've become. Not with the money they have behind them.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dan said:

In hindsight I look at the situation with Walsh here, and the situation with Walsh at Everton, and they really were so different. He signed Mahrez and Vardy when we were in the Championship spending a fraction of what we, or Everton do now. We were forced into unearthing gems.

Everton now wouldn't have given either of them the time to grow into what they've become. Not with the money they have behind them.

This has been discussed among our lot a fair bit in a different way. Basically that when the money wasn't there to justify the immediate demands for success and good football, we actually had to buy well and it ended up making us better than we are now.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This has been discussed among our lot a fair bit in a different way. Basically that when the money wasn't there to justify the immediate demands for success and good football, we actually had to buy well and it ended up making us better than we are now.

I agree massively and I think that applies to us as well. Just try and grasp the fact our regular XI from the title winning season cost us less than Slimani.

I do think money, and in-particular wide knowledge of you having the money, can work against you at times. Obviously if you're at the top with an owner like Man City's then it's no issue, but for someone like Everton you've got pretty high demands that probably aren't realistic. It will take you years to build a side that'll regularly push for the top four.

Having the money I do think has bred a complacency from a lot of clubs too. Both of us again are good examples. We've spent over £150mil since winning the league and does it really show? There are still notable weaknesses in our squad, plenty of players close to or have hit 30, the biggest wage bill we've ever paid out (though I appreciate that's largely due to the inflation, but even relative to our history it's got to be right up there) and this is all from a side who thought out of the box with signings and put a proper structure together. It's like we forgot about all of those fundamentals once we'd seen the money.

For all the stick they've taken from fans, including me, and a lot of our fans, Tottenham have a great model. They're not paying out wages anything like most of the rest of the sides around them, they're bringing through youngsters, good ones to boot, they're playing very good football, they're not bullied or ripped off by other clubs, they get proper fees for their players. Both us and Everton could look at that I think.

Archived