talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Switzerland World Cup Discussion

• Administrator
Just now, nudge said:

Akanji, Elvedi, Moubandje, Freuler, Zakaria, Zuber and Embolo, so  yes, 7 changes in total. There should be more though, I don't know why Djourou, Seferovic, Dzemaili, Fernandes or Behrami are still in the squad... I rate Elvedi, Zakaria and Embolo quite highly, but it's a bit too early for them to make a big impact, they are still challenging for a place in the starting XI. This must surely be the last tournament for most of the squad, they definitely need an overhaul and a change of generations afterwards.

This is probably their best current XI, in my opinion:

-----------------------------Sommer
Lichtsteiner-------Schär---------Akanji--------Rodriguez
-----------------------Xhaka------Zakaria
-------Embolo-------------Shaqiri------------Zuber
---------------------------Gavranovic

I'd have Shaqiri out wide and Embolo central.

I've not seen Gavranovic play so can't really comment on him.

They have to find a way of utilising Rodriguez's and Lichtsteiner's abilities of running each flank from full-back. Their attacking intent must be taken advantage of. 

Regarding the last tournament for some, I'd agree but having checked, there's only 5 players over 30 which surprised me! 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I am hoping the game against Japan shows a different side to this Swiss team. In the Spain game the midfield was literally nullified, as I expect when they play Brazil, but with the Japanese I think we'll have more of the ball leading to more chances.

• Subscriber

https://asia.eurosport.com/football/behrami-set-for-swiss-record-as-world-cup-squad-named_sto6791989/story.shtml

Behrami will be the first Swiss player to represent the country at four World Cups. He also has another awesome record which is the only Swiss player to been sent off with a red card in 2010. The man is unstoppable with setting firsts.

• Subscriber

A friendly against Japan kicks off in an hour.

DfLikMUX4AE-Rar.jpg

Quite a few changes in the starting lineup, with Bürki, Xhaka, Freuler, Embolo and Gavranovic replacing Sommer, Zakaria, Dzemaili, Zuber and Seferovic.

• Subscriber

That's game right there. Seferovic gets a goal against Japan. Feeling a bit better going into the group stages and I don't think this team will go out as easily as others have suggested. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

think we gave a good account of ourselves yesterday. Could have gone into ultra-defensive mode yesterday but we came out in the second half and put Brazil under pressure and came away with a draw. Still suffer from the fact that we don't have an actual front-man who can cause issues but I think we'll see a different squad against Serbia and Costa Rica.

Archived