talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jaap Stam Leaves Reading; Paul Clement Hired

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massively overachieved last season as the stats showed so you could argue that they’re at their natural level and sacking Stam, though the fans may want more, was harsh. 

Paul Clement is the new Alan Curbishley, isn’t he? Any Premier League or Championship job comes up and he’s linked with it. Is he even any good? I’ve never got it about him, tbh. 

17 hours ago, Marc said:

They should be about mid-table, but he's suffered from over achieving massively in his first season.

Why should they be mid table? They have regularly been challenging for promotion and have had 3 years in the premier I league

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Why should they be mid table? They have regularly been challenging for promotion and have had 3 years in the premier I league

Finished 17th in 15/16 season.

Finished 19th in 14/15 season.

Aside from being a one-season wonder in the Premier League when they finished 8th about 10 years ago, it's not at all regular that they challenge for promotion.

They are definition of inconsistent. 5 consecutive seasons in the Championship - so far, the 2 lowly finishes above and then 7th (13/14) and 3rd (16/17)

54 minutes ago, Stan said:

Finished 17th in 15/16 season.

Finished 19th in 14/15 season.

Aside from being a one-season wonder in the Premier League when they finished 8th about 10 years ago, it's not at all regular that they challenge for promotion.

They are definition of inconsistent. 5 consecutive seasons in the Championship - so far, the 2 lowly finishes above and then 7th (13/14) and 3rd (16/17)

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of all of their league finishes

Reading fans actually thought they were amazing at football last season but I'm pretty sure we can all set our teams out to play 77 passes between the back four and the keeper without venturing over the halfway line. 

Poor Jaap was an extremely bitter man last season when we beat them after they had 70% possession but that's the logic of the bloke. Retarded.

Best thing for them in truth. Hopefully they get relegated and can restore rivalries with Oxford and Swindon. More their level.

18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Reading fans actually thought they were amazing at football last season but I'm pretty sure we can all set our teams out to play 77 passes between the back four and the keeper without venturing over the halfway line. 

Poor Jaap was an extremely bitter man last season when we beat them after they had 70% possession but that's the logic of the bloke. Retarded.

Best thing for them in truth. Hopefully they get relegated and can restore rivalries with Oxford and Swindon. More their level.

I think most managers moan when they have more possession and chances but loose to be fair

• Administrator

Reading have appointed Paul Clement as manager on a three-year contract.

The former Derby County and Swansea City boss, 46, succeeds Jaap Stamafter he parted company with the Royals on Wednesday in his second season.

Clement takes charge with Reading 20th in the Championship, three points above the relegation zone with eight games remaining this campaign.

"It's a great opportunity at a club I've always respected in my years in coaching," he said.

Clement, sacked in December by Swansea, will face QPR at home in his first match in charge on Friday, 30 March.

He is Reading's fifth permanent managerial appointment since Brian McDermott's first spell in charge ended in March 2013.

The club also confirmed on Friday that assistant manager Andries Ulderink and first team coach Said Bakkati have left following Stam's departure.

Clement said he is looking to bring in two coaches he has previously worked with before the QPR game.

"This is a club that's always been competitive at this level," he said. "The ambition in the immediate term is to secure the club in the Championship.

"Beyond that, there's a lot of ambition to take this club back into the Premier League after it came so close last season. My ambition is to coach at that level again.

"But, the focus has to be on the next eight games."

As well as time in charge of Derby and Swansea, Clement's coaching experience includes working as Carlo Ancelotti's assistant at Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

"I'm delighted to have secured the services of a hugely experienced forward-thinking manager like Paul, who I've personally worked alongside during our time spent at Chelsea," Reading chief executive Ron Gourlay said.

"He has a rich understanding of English football having managed in both the Championship and the Premier League in recent years."

Clement won 14 of his 33 matches at Derby during his eight months in charge, but was relieved of his duties in February 2016 with the club just five points behind then Championship leaders Hull.

In January 2017, he was appointed boss at Swansea with the club in the Premier League relegation zone. He eventually guided them to 15th after an impressive run of form and was named Premier League manager of the month in January.

But, just three Premier League wins this season before Christmas cost him his job at the Liberty Stadium with the club bottom of the table.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43499111

• The title was changed to Jaap Stam Leaves Reading; Paul Clement Hired
34 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

28 wins from 74 games, absolute cabbage. How's he still commanding Championship jobs?

Some context needed with them useless stats.

Most of them games were at swansea in the prem, a fucking Clough/Ferguson/Cryuff clone isn't going to come out with a good win percentage from that. He did well at Derby and was harshly sacked (they were top 6 or so when he was  sacked I believe.. I'd say it's a decent appointment.

25 minutes ago, Marc said:

Some context needed with them useless stats.

Most of them games were at swansea in the prem, a fucking Clough/Ferguson/Cryuff clone isn't going to come out with a good win percentage from that. He did well at Derby and was harshly sacked (they were top 6 or so when he was  sacked I believe.. I'd say it's a decent appointment.

I mean, Carlos Carvahal is doing relatively well at Swansea and last time I checked he wasn't Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson or Johan Cruyff or a clone of any of the three. 

22 defeats at Swansea from 41, 19 of 33 games failed to win at Derby but he worked with Ancelotti so he must be great.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

I mean, Carlos Carvahal is doing relatively well at Swansea and last time I checked he wasn't Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson or Johan Cruyff or a clone of any of the three. 

22 defeats at Swansea from 41, 19 of 33 games failed to win at Derby but he worked with Ancelotti so he must be great.

CC obviously won't keep this up long term. You're trying to twist the stats to suit your opinion, the losses looks high when in actual fact he got 47 points from 41 games at Swansea... them stats also don't tell the full story, even though that's staying up form he got most of them points in the honeymoon period (Carlos Carvahal esque) and then did really shit the following season. At Derby he got sacked when they were 5th, 5 points off first - according to wikipedia.

I don't think he's a superstar but you're trying to portray he did a bad job at both,  the stats don't tell the full story certainly not how you've tried but failed to portray them.

He did well initially at Swansea then shit the following season, did well at Derby and was harshly sacked after 6 months when they were 5th. I'd say a mid/lower table championship club is where I'd expect him to be appointed.

19 minutes ago, Marc said:

CC obviously won't keep this up long term. You're trying to twist the stats to suit your opinion, the losses looks high when in actual fact he got 47 points from 41 games at Swansea... them stats also don't tell the full story, even though that's staying up form he got most of them points in the honeymoon period (Carlos Carvahal esque) and then did really shit the following season. At Derby he got sacked when they were 5th, 5 points off first - according to wikipedia.

I don't think he's a superstar but you're trying to portray he did a bad job at both,  the stats don't tell the full story certainly not how you've tried but failed to portray them.

He did well initially at Swansea then shit the following season, did well at Derby and was harshly sacked after 6 months when they were 5th. I'd say a mid/lower table championship club is where I'd expect him to be appointed.

Do you know that though? Or is that just opinion?

Two wins in ten between February 2017 and mid-April 2017 then three wins in eighteen between September and his sacking in December at Swansea. No wins in six of his first six at Derby and one win in ten before his sacking in February 2016. Hardly that of a good manager.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Do you know that though? Or is that just opinion?

Two wins in ten between February 2017 and mid-April 2017 then three wins in eighteen between September and his sacking in December at Swansea. No wins in six of his first six at Derby and one win in ten before his sacking in February 2016. Hardly that of a good manager.

You really aren’t getting this are you? You keep cherry picking stats. 

If he had runs that bad he must have also had some good runs as the overall points per game at Swansea and Derby was decent.

Archived