talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Vladimir Putin 'Will Use World Cup Like Hitler Used Olympics'

The UK Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, has agreed with a Labour MP's comparison that Vladimir Putin will use Russia's World Cup "like Hitler used the Olympics in 1936".

Speaking at the Foreign Affairs committee in Parliament, Labour MP Ian Austin made the remark and called for England to boycott the tournament.

Replying to the comment, Mr Johnson said: "Yes - I think the comparison with 1936 is certainly right."

Mr Johnson believes Putin is determined to portray Russia as "strong again" following the collapse of the Soviet Union and wants his country to be "taken seriously again - at any price".

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Spike said:

HE could have actually just referred to the '78 World Cup.

I agree. It´s a much more accurate comparison. But at the same time it seems obvious to me that it´s advantageous to Boris Johnson or to any british politician to mention 1936, because he/she then gets to claim the position of Winston Churchill in facing Hitler, or in this case, Putin, and all the political benefits the "Finest Hour" mythology brings.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

fack this.      any country who can host a big event, especially the World Cup will of course say things like that.   They would always promote their country, tell the world that they are a strong and powerful.      

It's the political undertone to it all though. 

Just now, Stan said:

It's the political undertone to it all though. 

of course there will be a political flavor to it bcoz it's a leader of a nation who said it.

if you're in putin's shoes what would you do or say to your people regarding your country hosting the World Cup ??

austin and johnson are just too emotional with their reaction.

Archived