talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Salvatore Schillaci of 2018

For those that don't know, Salvatore Schillaci made his Italian debut in March 1990. He then made his competitive debut at Italia '90. At this tournament, he then went on to win the golden boot.

Now, whilst such a similar achievement seems very unlikely, the likes of Marcos Alonso, Wissam Ben Yedder, Anderson Talisca and Lautaro Martinez all could make their national debuts this week. Could they become icons in their respective countries by the end of the tournament?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Wissam Ben Yedder is a very good striker and with the right service, I can imagine him having a good tournament with France. I think he's a hell of a lot more likely to win the golden boot as a national team debutant this year than Marcos Alonso, personally.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Wissam Ben Yedder is a very good striker and with the right service, I can imagine him having a good tournament with France. I think he's a hell of a lot more likely to win the golden boot as a national team debutant this year than Marcos Alonso, personally.

I wasn't referring specifically to the golden boot. Just Schillaci is just the most incredible story I could think of for a debutant. There's plenty of other ways players can become national heros. 

Archived