talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alexis Sánchez: I Expected Better of Myself

Alexis Sanchez says he expected better of himself following his move to Manchester United.

Sanchez joined United from Arsenal in January but has managed just one goal in 10 appearances since arriving at Old Trafford.

The 29-year-old admits he has struggled to adapt to his new life in Manchester after four seasons with the Gunners.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I feel so sorry for him 

Why?

He knew how Mourinho's United play (or at least he should have). And it's not like he's not getting a giant sum of money for playing for them. And it's also still very early days in his Man Utd career, so it's not as though it's a total wash. And if he wanted to go to a side where he'd likely have fit in better and quicker... Manchester City was after him as well.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why?

He knew how Mourinho's United play (or at least he should have). And it's not like he's not getting a giant sum of money for playing for them. And it's also still very early days in his Man Utd career, so it's not as though it's a total wash. And if he wanted to go to a side where he'd likely have fit in better and quicker... Manchester City was after him as well.

I think Cicero was being sarcastic xD

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh... whoopsies xD

I am amazed you made that comment mate. You strike me as quite an intelligent person. We all make mistakes I guess xD

I can't help but think he's lost motivation. At Arsenal he didn't look happy for the longest time and now that Chile have failed to qualify for the World Cup which was his last reason to play for (at least in the season/year) I honestly think he isn't fired up by anything or feels he has nothing to play for. 

Moving to United though was his own fault as he chose the money over the success (City)

2 hours ago, Blue said:

I can't help but think he's lost motivation. At Arsenal he didn't look happy for the longest time and now that Chile have failed to qualify for the World Cup which was his last reason to play for (at least in the season/year) I honestly think he isn't fired up by anything or feels he has nothing to play for. 

Moving to United though was his own fault as he chose the money over the success (City)

I don't think its motivation more confidence and focus.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't think its motivation more confidence and focus.

So what is Sanchez playing for? Outside of the UCL anyways

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

So what is Sanchez playing for? Outside of the UCL anyways

Footballers at that level are very self motivated. He wouldn't need a world cup to motivate him. It would help but he won't need it. 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Footballers at that level are very self motivated. He wouldn't need a world cup to motivate him. It would help but he won't need it. 

I don't agree but we all think differently. At one point it looked like he put his eggs in one basket (Chile) and now that he's out he looks even worse. It's been the case with more footballers in South America that are more motivated at national level.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I don't agree but we all think differently. At one point it looked like he put his eggs in one basket (Chile) and now that he's out he looks even worse. It's been the case with more footballers in South America that are more motivated at national level.

Well obviously you know more about the south American mentality than me. But shorly as successful journalist you understand self motivation?

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well obviously you know more about the south American mentality than me. But shorly as successful journalist you understand self motivation?

I do but I don't always believe in it and less in Europe. I doubt a Chilean like Sanchez who may or may not have followed European football when he was a child, would be self motivated to play for clubs in England.

You do have a fair point in confidence though. He is clearly a serious player but one of the problems with European football is players chasing the money rather then the passion and this usually applies with foreign players. Alexis would rather play for Colo Colo or U de Chile than Manchester United if we were looking just at club stature in their home country but he's playing in Europe because of the money and because the world stars are all in Europe these days but it doesn't always spark self motivation as I'm sure if it was possible, he'd rather be playing for a Chilean club.

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

I do but I don't always believe in it and less in Europe. I doubt a Chilean like Sanchez who may or may not have followed European football when he was a child, would be self motivated to play for clubs in England.

You do have a fair point in confidence though. He is clearly a serious player but one of the problems with European football is players chasing the money rather then the passion and this usually applies with foreign players. Alexis would rather play for Colo Colo or U de Chile than Manchester United if we were looking just at club stature in their home country but he's playing in Europe because of the money and because the world stars are all in Europe these days but it doesn't always spark self motivation as I'm sure if it was possible, he'd rather be playing for a Chilean club.

That shows a weak mentality to me! 

Suarez hardly played CL football whilst with us, won basically nothing and wasn’t surrounded by stars, yet I’ve never seen a more motivated and dedicated player play for us in my life. 

If Sanchez is unmotivated and can’t pick himself or his form up then he’s mentality weak and not as good a player as everyone thought. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

That shows a weak mentality to me! 

Suarez hardly played CL football whilst with us, won basically nothing and wasn’t surrounded by stars, yet I’ve never seen a more motivated and dedicated player play for us in my life. 

If Sanchez is unmotivated and can’t pick himself or his form up then he’s mentality weak and not as good a player as everyone thought. 

That's what I'm seeing. Another player who wasn't too keen on playing in Europe was Tevez, but this isn't a permanent thing hence his good performances for several clubs. Besides, he also wanted to play for Argentina. 

I also see it as having to build a bond with the club, manager or the players around you and I don't think Sanchez did any of the above.

• The title was changed to Alexis Sánchez: I Expected Better of Myself

Archived