Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Alexis Sánchez: I Expected Better of Myself

Alexis Sanchez says he expected better of himself following his move to Manchester United.

Sanchez joined United from Arsenal in January but has managed just one goal in 10 appearances since arriving at Old Trafford.

The 29-year-old admits he has struggled to adapt to his new life in Manchester after four seasons with the Gunners.

'I've got an idea. How about I join a divisional rival that isn't challenging for any titles but can pay me three times the pay packet. Fucking villainous, mate, I'm a genius.'

41 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I feel so sorry for him 

Why?

He knew how Mourinho's United play (or at least he should have). And it's not like he's not getting a giant sum of money for playing for them. And it's also still very early days in his Man Utd career, so it's not as though it's a total wash. And if he wanted to go to a side where he'd likely have fit in better and quicker... Manchester City was after him as well.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why?

He knew how Mourinho's United play (or at least he should have). And it's not like he's not getting a giant sum of money for playing for them. And it's also still very early days in his Man Utd career, so it's not as though it's a total wash. And if he wanted to go to a side where he'd likely have fit in better and quicker... Manchester City was after him as well.

I think Cicero was being sarcastic xD

• Upvote 1

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

I think Cicero was being sarcastic xD

Oh... whoopsies xD

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh... whoopsies xD

I am amazed you made that comment mate. You strike me as quite an intelligent person. We all make mistakes I guess xD

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I am amazed you made that comment mate. You strike me as quite an intelligent person. We all make mistakes I guess xD

Everyone is capable of being stupid, especially me :dunce:

Shattered because of his situation, 500k a week playing for United.

Truly one of the saddest stories in modern football.

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Shattered because of his situation, 500k a week playing for United.

Truly one of the saddest stories in modern football.

@Dr. Gonzo your thoughts?

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

football forum

I can't help but think he's lost motivation. At Arsenal he didn't look happy for the longest time and now that Chile have failed to qualify for the World Cup which was his last reason to play for (at least in the season/year) I honestly think he isn't fired up by anything or feels he has nothing to play for. 

Moving to United though was his own fault as he chose the money over the success (City)

2 hours ago, Blue said:

I can't help but think he's lost motivation. At Arsenal he didn't look happy for the longest time and now that Chile have failed to qualify for the World Cup which was his last reason to play for (at least in the season/year) I honestly think he isn't fired up by anything or feels he has nothing to play for. 

Moving to United though was his own fault as he chose the money over the success (City)

I don't think its motivation more confidence and focus.

football forum
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't think its motivation more confidence and focus.

So what is Sanchez playing for? Outside of the UCL anyways

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

So what is Sanchez playing for? Outside of the UCL anyways

Footballers at that level are very self motivated. He wouldn't need a world cup to motivate him. It would help but he won't need it. 

football forum
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Footballers at that level are very self motivated. He wouldn't need a world cup to motivate him. It would help but he won't need it. 

I don't agree but we all think differently. At one point it looked like he put his eggs in one basket (Chile) and now that he's out he looks even worse. It's been the case with more footballers in South America that are more motivated at national level.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I don't agree but we all think differently. At one point it looked like he put his eggs in one basket (Chile) and now that he's out he looks even worse. It's been the case with more footballers in South America that are more motivated at national level.

Well obviously you know more about the south American mentality than me. But shorly as successful journalist you understand self motivation?

football forum
7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well obviously you know more about the south American mentality than me. But shorly as successful journalist you understand self motivation?

I do but I don't always believe in it and less in Europe. I doubt a Chilean like Sanchez who may or may not have followed European football when he was a child, would be self motivated to play for clubs in England.

You do have a fair point in confidence though. He is clearly a serious player but one of the problems with European football is players chasing the money rather then the passion and this usually applies with foreign players. Alexis would rather play for Colo Colo or U de Chile than Manchester United if we were looking just at club stature in their home country but he's playing in Europe because of the money and because the world stars are all in Europe these days but it doesn't always spark self motivation as I'm sure if it was possible, he'd rather be playing for a Chilean club.

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

I do but I don't always believe in it and less in Europe. I doubt a Chilean like Sanchez who may or may not have followed European football when he was a child, would be self motivated to play for clubs in England.

You do have a fair point in confidence though. He is clearly a serious player but one of the problems with European football is players chasing the money rather then the passion and this usually applies with foreign players. Alexis would rather play for Colo Colo or U de Chile than Manchester United if we were looking just at club stature in their home country but he's playing in Europe because of the money and because the world stars are all in Europe these days but it doesn't always spark self motivation as I'm sure if it was possible, he'd rather be playing for a Chilean club.

That shows a weak mentality to me! 

Suarez hardly played CL football whilst with us, won basically nothing and wasn’t surrounded by stars, yet I’ve never seen a more motivated and dedicated player play for us in my life. 

If Sanchez is unmotivated and can’t pick himself or his form up then he’s mentality weak and not as good a player as everyone thought. 

football forum
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

That shows a weak mentality to me! 

Suarez hardly played CL football whilst with us, won basically nothing and wasn’t surrounded by stars, yet I’ve never seen a more motivated and dedicated player play for us in my life. 

If Sanchez is unmotivated and can’t pick himself or his form up then he’s mentality weak and not as good a player as everyone thought. 

That's what I'm seeing. Another player who wasn't too keen on playing in Europe was Tevez, but this isn't a permanent thing hence his good performances for several clubs. Besides, he also wanted to play for Argentina. 

I also see it as having to build a bond with the club, manager or the players around you and I don't think Sanchez did any of the above.

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

xD 

As funny as that truth is, what we have here is a typical and very common example of plain old greed. Excepting Barça where he was seen as surplus to requirements with few choices and too good to be on the bench, what he's done the moment he's arrived in England and started to receive earned plaudits is forget football and return to a method of thinking that is based on selfishness and a conditioned form of believing in need... = Greed.

Many people suffer from this but the lower your exposure to the world at an early age coupled with a good education, the result is an unbalanced one.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

As funny as that truth is, what we have here is a typical and very common example of plain old greed. Excepting Barça where he was seen as surplus to requirements with few choices and too good to be on the bench, what he's done the moment he's arrived in England and started to receive earned plaudits is forget football and return to a method of thinking that is based on selfishness and a conditioned form of believing in need... = Greed.

Many people suffer from this but the lower your exposure to the world at an early age coupled with a good education, the result is an unbalanced one.

Why is it greed? Arsenal are finished as a force, why would he let his career rot there, if Mourinho leaves (which I expect him too in the next year) then he can get back to his best. There was no guarantee Manchester City would come back in for him and he obviously hated it at Arsenal.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why is it greed? Arsenal are finished as a force, why would he let his career rot there, if Mourinho leaves (which I expect him too in the next year) then he can get back to his best. There was no guarantee Manchester City would come back in for him and he obviously hated it at Arsenal.

There are no quotes as to hating it at Arsenal. Why would he hate it there?  Were they selling his kids in a child prostitution racket?  It's a football club for god's sake!  A club based in London (I know you won't like that last part) and a club where he made his biggest impact as of yet.  The reason he moved was due to personal gain!  Not that there's anything wrong with this as I put well in my previous post. Uneducated people can't decipher life in an apt manner most of the time.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There are no quotes as to hating it at Arsenal. Why would he hate it there?  Were they selling his kids in a child prostitution racket?  It's a football club for god's sake!  A club based in London (I know you won't like that last part) and a club where he made his biggest impact as of yet.  The reason he moved was due to personal gain!  Not that there's anything wrong with this as I put well in my previous post. Uneducated people can't decipher life in an apt manner most of the time.

A club incapable of challenging at the top is not befitting of such a player, he's wasted 3 1/2 years at Arsenal without competing for top titles. He is an ambitious man and saw leaving as his only option, trying to paint it all as greed is delusional and smacks of denial about the pitiful, secondary status of Arsenal nowadays. He's now moved to a far bigger club, with a much better chance of competing at the top and yes, bigger wages too. He would have got the same at Manchester City but couldn't take the gamble of waiting for pep, his desperation to move from Arsenal is shown by this.

Not sure what the emboldened bit is about, when have I ever disparaged London, a wonderful place. Arsenal as a club and their support is a different matter.

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

A club incapable of challenging at the top is befitting of such a player, he's wasted 3 1/2 years at Arsenal without competing for top titles. He is an ambitious man and saw leaving as his only option, trying to paint it all as greed is delusional and smacks of denial about the pitiful, secondary status of Arsenal nowadays. He's now moved to a far bigger club, with a much better chance of competing at the top and yes, bigger wages too. He would have got the same at Manchester City but couldn't take the gamble of waiting for pep, his desperation to move from Arsenal is shown by this.

Not sure what the emboldened bit is about, when have I ever disparaged London, a wonderful place. Arsenal as a club and their support is a different matter.

Really?

Theyve been competing at our level for a number of recent years and yes last year they won the League Cup and the Europa League, something he wasn't involved in because he was at another club shrouded in mediocrity. Those are the facts unless you want to sell me brand names?