talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jack Wilshere Leaves West Ham By Mutual Consent

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

That was close to a decade ago... I don't really see him as combative, just as having a poor temper. Anyway, I just can't rate him higher than Oxlade-Chamberlain because the latter is reliable. An underrated attribute.

You see, for me Oxlade-Chamberlain doesn't tick any box on what I would desire in any position in a team. He can do various things, some quite well and other ok, but he isn't a difference maker.  Plus they don't play the same game if they're playing at their best.  Wilshere is an association player, combinative who interchanges quick intelligent passes (which is why there have been moments where I've though "Barça" with him although understanding always that something was missing.  The Ox is for me just a super sub.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You see, for me Oxlade-Chamberlain doesn't tick any box on what I would desire in any position in a team. He can do various things, some quite well and other ok, but he isn't a difference maker.  Plus they don't play the same game if they're playing at their best.  Wilshere is an association player, combinative who interchanges quick intelligent passes (which is why there have been moments where I've though "Barça" with him although understanding always that something was missing.  The Ox is for me just a super sub.

But we are talking about what Danny said; a ball carrier, that runs from deep. Quick passing has naught to do with this. 

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

A super sub?

Under Wenger maybe. Under Klopp he’s showing what he can really do in a position he prefers. 

Not just that, he’s a great lad that has quickly become a very popular player in the dressing room and to a certain extent a fan favourite. 

Seriously, Arsenal’s loss was our gain. 

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

But we are talking about what Danny said; a ball carrier, that runs from deep. Quick passing has naught to do with this. 

Yeah but he's not a ball carrier at all in my book and rather average at that for me.

13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

A super sub?

Under Wenger maybe. Under Klopp he’s showing what he can really do in a position he prefers. 

Not just that, he’s a great lad that has quickly become a very popular player in the dressing room and to a certain extent a fan favourite. 

Seriously, Arsenal’s loss was our gain. 

I didn't want to sell him but at the same time I don't miss him at all.  You may have gained (for you) but we haven't lost anything because he wasn't with us just for a couple of months mate.

• Administrator

Oxlade-Chamberlain has grown on me since his move to Liverpool. Seems comfortable and settled in his role there. Compare that to performances at Arsenal and he clearly wasn't happy there. 

I'm also in the 'don't rate Wilshere' camp. A few quick passing moves doesn't make a player amazing or special. The injury record speaks for itself too. For him the less said about that the better. 

Chamberlain is not like Wilshere at all and plays further up the pitch, pressing defenders and trying to defend and attack in the final third.

Wilshere is a deep midfielder, sits back with the holding mid and either looks to play splitting passes or drives forward through the use of one twos. Chamberlain doesn't possess the passing ability Wilshere has.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

The injury record speaks for itself too. For him the less said about that the better. 

His lifestyle has a lot to do with his injury history.  He doesn't give a crap about his career and has taken it for granted along with other decisions he's made.  He shouldn't be given any sort of contract other than sweeping fag ends outside the stadium after match days.

No one's really that fussed about losing Chamberlain. Weren't at the time and aren't now. Wanted him to sign but didn't see him as being a big miss. Similar thing with Wilshere here only with Wilshere having more natural talent and actually fitting our style of play... 

One thing to look forward to if he leaves though is that I can start pretending that him smoking is on par with murder like the press want everyone to think. Should be fun.

56 minutes ago, 6666 said:

No one's really that fussed about losing Chamberlain. Weren't at the time and aren't now. Wanted him to sign but didn't see him as being a big miss. Similar thing with Wilshere here only with Wilshere having more natural talent and actually fitting our style of play... 

One thing to look forward to if he leaves though is that I can start pretending that him smoking is on par with murder like the press want everyone to think. Should be fun.

And he' a beakhead, everyone knows that one.

15 hours ago, Danny said:

Chamberlain is not like Wilshere at all and plays further up the pitch, pressing defenders and trying to defend and attack in the final third.

Wilshere is a deep midfielder, sits back with the holding mid and either looks to play splitting passes or drives forward through the use of one twos. Chamberlain doesn't possess the passing ability Wilshere has.

Driving in most other sports refers to carrying the ball through dribbling, so that is what I thougt you meant

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

Driving in most other sports refers to carrying the ball through dribbling, so that is what I thougt you meant

Through dribbling and one twos, but Wilshere plays in the classic centre mid role whereas Chamberlain is more advanced outwide/by the striker.

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

Through dribbling and one twos, but Wilshere plays in the classic centre mid role whereas Chamberlain is more advanced outwide/by the striker.

The term I think comes from basketball; it essentially means running towards the net with ball, and using that momentum to create offence. To me, if that were applied to sokka it'd be how Oxlade-Chamberlain plays when he is a midfielder, many players do. Yaya Touré, Mattías Vecino, André Gomes, Ramires, Michaël Essien, all players that move the ball using momentum and strength.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

The term I think comes from basketball; it essentially means running towards the net with ball, and using that momentum to create offence. To me, if that were applied to sokka it'd be how Oxlade-Chamberlain plays when he is a midfielder, many players do. Yaya Touré, Mattías Vecino, André Gomes, Ramires, Michaël Essien, all players that move the ball using momentum and strength.

Dribbling has been used as a term in football since forever. But you can dribble from different positions on the pitch, doesn't make you the same player.

7 hours ago, Danny said:

Not for us he isn’t. He’s played most of his games for us as a traditional No8, joining the attack as well as dropping deep to help out defensively in equal measures but usualy from a central position. It’s our fullbacks who provide the width as well as Mane and Salah who also drift inside to join Firmino centrally. 

So yeah, Ox for us has played predominantly as a CM with licence to join the attack (which often takes him wide) but not as you say ‘out wide/by the striker’ at all. 

Take a look at this highlight reel of his time with us. The first minute or so does actually show him out wide but then you’ll notice how after a short period he was a lot more central and actually starting moves from a really deep position. He’s pretty good at breaking up play, playing in tight spaces and carrying the ball forward, which is what you want from a No8. 

If you then compare that to Wishere’s highlight reel .....

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not for us he isn’t. He’s played most of his games for us as a traditional No8, joining the attack as well as dropping deep to help out defensively in equal measures but usualy from a central position. It’s our fullbacks who provide the width as well as Mane and Salah who also drift inside to join Firmino centrally. 

So yeah, Ox for us has played predominantly as a CM with licence to join the attack (which often takes him wide) but not as you say ‘out wide/by the striker’ at all. 

Take a look at this highlight reel of his time with us. The first minute or so does actually show him out wide but then you’ll notice how after a short period he was a lot more central and actually starting moves from a really deep position. He’s pretty good at breaking up play, playing in tight spaces and carrying the ball forward, which is what you want from a No8. 

If you then compare that to Wishere’s highlight reel .....

Wasn't saying he's a winger, just meant he picks up a lot of positions outwide and drifts in. I'm sure he's playing centre mid but considering you go with more of a 3 up front approach he's playing in a 3 man midfield that gives him license to drift about. More Iniesta than Xavi if you know what I mean. Tbh (gunna use one of Blue's statistical attempts here) about 90% of that video was him picking the ball up or making tackles outwide and a lot of defensive positions taken when the team pushed back looked wider. And with Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can and Milner who all occupy the deeper centre mid roles (of which Wilshere plays in) I wouldn't say they're in the same bracket.

He's playing well though Chamberlain, I know one particular Arsenal fan on here reckons its nothing Arsenal haven't seen but he's now key to a thriving Liverpool side and he was a bench warmer at a side falling out of the top 4 so..

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Wasn't saying he's a winger, just meant he picks up a lot of positions outwide and drifts in. I'm sure he's playing centre mid but considering you go with more of a 3 up front approach he's playing in a 3 man midfield that gives him license to drift about. More Iniesta than Xavi if you know what I mean. Tbh (gunna use one of Blue's statistical attempts here) about 90% of that video was him picking the ball up or making tackles outwide and a lot of defensive positions taken when the team pushed back looked wider. And with Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can and Milner who all occupy the deeper centre mid roles (of which Wilshere plays in) I wouldn't say they're in the same bracket.

He's playing well though Chamberlain, I know one particular Arsenal fan on here reckons its nothing Arsenal haven't seen but he's now key to a thriving Liverpool side and he was a bench warmer at a side falling out of the top 4 so..

What’s surprised me most about him to be honest is how he is off the pitch. In all his interviews he’s been extremely humble, extremely critical of himself (always wanting to work harder and improve) and in general somewhat of a leader in the dressing room by all accounts. I was watching LFCTV a few weeks ago and a lot of the younger and more experienced players were saying it’s like he’s been here for years, always encouraging and helping the youngsters and the foreign players. Just a really popular lad in general. 

He also helps with the homegrown quota which is a bonus and as I said before, Arsenal’s loss has really been our gain. Apparently Klopp absolutely loves him which is why he sanctioned a fairly high transfer fee for a player that was almost out of contract. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What’s surprised me most about him to be honest is how he is off the pitch. In all his interviews he’s been extremely humble, extremely critical of himself (always wanting to work harder and improve) and in general somewhat of a leader in the dressing room by all accounts. I was watching LFCTV a few weeks ago and a lot of the younger and more experienced players were saying it’s like he’s been here for years, always encouraging and helping the youngsters and the foreign players. Just a really popular lad in general. 

He also helps with the homegrown quota which is a bonus and as I said before, Arsenal’s loss has really been our gain. Apparently Klopp absolutely loves him which is why he sanctioned a fairly high transfer fee for a player that was almost out of contract. 

Really? completely strikes me as an total cunt, fair play to him. 

19 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Really? completely strikes me as an total cunt, fair play to him. 

This interview sums him up perfectly. Bare in mind Ox had only been here a couple of months whereas Coutinho had been here about 4/5 years, Ox steps in when a reporter is asking some really awkward questions regarding Barcelona, like a captain protecting a youngster.... 

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Jack Wilshere Leaves West Ham By Mutual Consent

Archived