talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jack Wilshere Leaves West Ham By Mutual Consent

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Used to think he was going to be a star but combination of injuries and attitude have dampened that. Still think there's been something a bit toxic about Arsenal for a few years and players have been stunted, whereas maybe elsewhere they could flourish. I think Everton should take a punt on him.

I think you make a good point about Arsenal being a bit of a toxic environment for young players, certainly in their games. So many flopped under the old regime, I hope we can start getting the best out of youngsters once again. I think a lot will improve a lot next season, but for me it was too late for Wilshere.

Still maintain Palace is the perfect destination for him.

7 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

65 games in all comps (as he was played mainly in the Europa last season at Arsenal, rather than being out through injury) over the past two seasons, average of 32.5 games a season. That’s pretty standard I reckon across the league. And you’d suspect that he’d be managed slightly differently in regards to training and being rested due to his injury record.

His fitness hasn’t been a huge issue over the past two seasons. 

He made something like 38 appearances last season yet only 20 in the league...my point was more that there were times at Bournemouth he was on the bench, wasn't trusted to start game in game out in the league at Arsenal, but has been fairly fit the last two seasons. Just not been that good.

17 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Used to think he was going to be a star but combination of injuries and attitude have dampened that. Still think there's been something a bit toxic about Arsenal for a few years and players have been stunted, whereas maybe elsewhere they could flourish. I think Everton should take a punt on him.

Exactly. Since the early days of Rosicky and Van Persie Arsenal have had this situation of players you forget about due to the length of some of their injuries. Makes sense for arsenal to break free of that and for him to get out too.

He's been linked with us, but to be honest, I hope we stay clear.

I imagine his wage demands to play for us will be a lot higher than the demands he was prepared to play at Arsenal for. Which already places him in the category of expectation we had when we signed Benteke, Sakho and Cabaye.

We need attacking minded midfielders as we only have out of contract James McArthur and a potentially past it Jason Puncheon if you take out our new found winger strikers and R-LC (fuck you @stan). However, we need attacking midfielders that are match fit. We have taken risks on the last couple of years on players with injury concerns and none of them have worked out. Of the top of my head I can think of Wickham, Remy, Flamini and Chungy.

On top of that, when Wilshire has been fit for Bournemouth and played regularly for Arsenal, he hasn't actually taken the game to people in a manner that makes me believe he would establish himself as a key player here.

At the same time, West Ham would probably be a better fit for him. I can see him getting behind the whole mantra of the club given his Dad is a fan. There will be a role for him in the middle of the park, and he plays the style of football Pellegrini prefers.

Sky Sports seems to think a deal with West Ham is close to happening.

The success of this deal is going to to be dependant on his ability to keep fit. He's either going to play 30+ games, establish a connection with the fans, be appreciated for his efforts. Or he's going to be one of a number of unsuccessful high profile names signed by the current regime that the fans flip out about come February next year.

They’re spending money at West Ham this summer, they’ve almost been forced to in all honesty, and I can see them having a relatively successful season on the pitch.

They’re in need of a creative player due to Lanzini’s injury and Wilshere could be that player. 

Wilshere got a full season near enough at Bournemouth and if I'm not mistaken was relegated to the bench a few times and didn't make a massive impact. Also seemed to be in Arsenal's Europa League rotation last season?

On a free there's not much to lose but I don't think he'll be amazing.

• The title was changed to Jack Wilshere Confirms Arsenal Departure; Joins West Ham

Like the Rooney transfer thread, it's pleasing to see this thread finally move.

With all the options available to him this looked like the most logical move. Fingers crossed he stays fit and becomes a fan favourite. A good Jack Wilshere is in everybody's best interests.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Jack Wilshere Leaves West Ham By Mutual Consent

If he does go to the SPL, I'll be interested to see how his chipstick legs cope with the plastic pitches up there.

I'm sure the SPL have 3 or 4 sides with artificial pitches because Brendan Rodgers complained about it before.

That can be quite dangerous for players who have been blighted by certain injuries. I'm almost sure it would affect him.

Archived