talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Ticket Prices Criticised

football forum

Fans groups from the four FA Cup semi-finalists have criticised the Football Association for increasing ticket prices.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Southampton and Tottenham supporters are accusing the governing body of "opportunistic exploitation of fan loyalty" with ticket prices that are "10 times the rate of inflation".

The cheapest ticket for the semi-finals remains at £30 but Category A, B and C tickets have all increased.

The most expensive ticket has risen from £60 to £80 for the semi-finals and from £115 to £145 for the final on May 19.

In a statement, the Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trusts, and Southampton fans groups said: "Supporters of all four clubs have already spent a fortune following their teams from round three onwards. Our reward for reaching the last four is price rises 10 times the rate of inflation.

"The FA has taken this decision at a time when, by contrast, the Premier League has reduced the cost of away tickets to a maximum of £30.

"Freezing the lowest ticket price category is a token gesture that will benefit only a small minority of supporters.

"These price increases further illustrate the longstanding issue we have with the FA as both the regulator of the game as well as the worst offender when it comes to excessive ticket prices for fans. A concession discount of just £10 further compounds the issue.

"The price of football at the top level is already extortionate. This latest decision is nothing more than opportunistic exploitation of fan loyalty.

"We expect better from a body that claims to be the guardian of the game, especially in the oldest and most famous cup competition in world football."

Andy Ambler, the FA's director of professional game relations, defended the price increases.

"It's always important to remember that the FA is a not-for-profit organisation where every pound and penny of profit is reinvested back into every level of football in England," he said.

"If you're buying a ticket for the semi-final or the final you are directly investing in the future of the game in this country."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Appalling. Our FA are an absolute disgrace. The entire organisation needs a complete reform from top to bottom. There's so much wrong with it it's hard to know where to begin.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

The other thing which I don't think is mentioned in the article is the fact we've paid them £20 million this year to use Wembley - it's greed pure and simple

If I remember correctly the cost of building Wembley was so high it wont be paid off for another 25 years. 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

If I remember correctly the cost of building Wembley was so high it wont be paid off for another 25 years. 

Easy for me to say, and easy for me to say now, but was it really worth it?

Archived