talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who will be England's first choice goalkeeper at Russia 2018?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Hart shouldn't even be on the plane. If he is it's based off his 'face' and the form he hasn't shown since 3-4 years ago.

Pickford edges it for me but I know I'm biased. He's good enough to be 2nd or 3rd choice at this stage, not number 1, but the other options are so bad or inexperienced the argument can be made. He has dropped a few clangers lately and could have done better for both goals last time out, but it's hard to imagine any keeper not making a few mistakes when the opposition has 25 attacks a game like anyone who plays against a central defence of Williams and Keane. He also made several quality saves, we could have lost 5-1 on Saturday with an average goalkeeper because we're that bad. Extend that to the whole season and we could really be up shit creek had we failed to get him in the summer.

Yeah, agreed. Hart not on the plane and first choice between Pickford and Butland. 3rd choice is a pick 'em. I'd take Pope at the moment, assuming he keeps his place ahead of Heaton.

I don't have any particular preference between Pickford and Butland, i think there's fuck all in it. I'd probably go for Butland on experience. I hope Southgate picks one and goes with him- probably make it clear in the upcoming friendlies. We don't need another goalkeeper media circus like we had when it was Green/James then Green fucked up and got dropped.

By the way i've been meaning to say somewhere, Angus Gunn is a top fucking goalkeeper. Has the potential to be fighting for the number 1 spot in a few years. It'll be interesting to see what he does next season, Ederson will be number 1 and Bravo I assume back-up still. It'd be a massive coup if we could get him back again but he's also more than good enough for a prem team, someone like Palace who have been crying out for a keeper for years. I'm not suggesting he should be in the England squad, by the way.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

@Marc crying that Gunn should be in in the England squad, what a bellend. 

:ph34r:

Outrageous if he's not picked. He's made less mistakes this season than Pickford did against Burnley at the weekend (2)

Out of the list of potential keepers above, you can’t honestly say any have been significantly better than the collective group there. 

I made a point in the Glenn Murray thread that friendlies should be for experimenting a bit and that should be the case with goalkeepers, especially given Joe Hart’s form over the past three seasons, yet we’ve seen Hart start most of those games. Why? How will people like Pickford or Butland, when fit, get experience at International level?

• Administrator

Seaman shouldn't be remembered for one freak goal. 

Kind of emphasises my point anyway that the keepers we have now still aren't that great despite looking at the recent list of poor goal keepers there. 

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Batard said:

Pickford purely for his distribution when England launch counter attacks. Few countries will have that in their armory at the World Cup

Debatable, for every quality karate kick ball he pings 60 yards upfield he puts 4 or 5 into touch.

At this point it's just about picking a keeper that the defence can work with, they're all about as good as each other and I wouldn't be against having Hart in goal as we don't have anyone proven to be better and so far the likes of Butland/Forster etc have only proven to be worse when they get a chance.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Asura said:

What happened to Forster? Why is he not in that list? Has he regressed very badly

He went through a terrible time with Southampton around November time.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

At this point it's just about picking a keeper that the defence can work with, they're all about as good as each other and I wouldn't be against having Hart in goal as we don't have anyone proven to be better and so far the likes of Butland/Forster etc have only proven to be worse when they get a chance.

I agree with this. I remember the 2010 World Cup when Rob Green started against USA, made a howler, and was replaced by David James. He never really recovered from that. I think we risk doing something similar to another promising Goalkeeper here.

Definitely shouldn't be Hart, but it probably would be. I'd go with Butland, Pickford, and Pope on the plane. Starter would be between Butland and Pickford. Neither fills me with confidence going into a World Cup though.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Marc said:

To start first England group game:

Pickford 8/11

Butland  13/8

Hart 9/2

I would imagine Hart’s odds will shorten soon 

Where are those odds? I'm having some on that.

• Subscriber
On 3/8/2018 at 05:21, Asura said:

What happened to Forster? Why is he not in that list? Has he regressed very badly

Can't get into Southampton's side, and quite honestly I think was over-rated because he was always considered our back-up to an under-performing Hart.

Butland, Pickford and Pope for me.

Archived