talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Has the MLS Caught Up With The Liga MX?

football forum

After this years NACL, is it fair to say the MLS has caught up or after many years, is finally close to the level of the Liga MX?

I've always said that the MLS without DP's is the Peruvian League with better marketing, but I think that has changed as its become a proper feeder league after years of being absolutely crap. There are 2 Liga MX sides and 2 MLS sides in the NACL semi's and Toronto FC just beat Tigres, who you could argue are the best side in the continent.

Then you have a marketing standpoint. Yes, the Liga MX are the masters of it, but when it comes to smaller brilliant untouched talent, MLS has gone above. Almiron, Medina, Barco, Yotun are a few examples of this. Its true the Liga MX still signs "untouched" talent like all the Peruvians they signed. Some brilliant, others not so much and obviously they have their pick of where to sign. Usually its Colombia or Paraguay. You could argue the young untouched talent that the MLS has signed is better than that of the Liga MX.

Then there is signing some DP's that you'd expect in Europe like Giovinco and Vela. Gignac and Valencia are great but I wouldn't put them at the level of the 2 mentioned beforehand.

So what is your take on this? Has the MLS finally caught up with the Mexican league?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched two MLS games this season now and I would ask the question "Has the MLS caught up with the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League"? Whether I've got unlucky and I've just happened to see two of the poorest games the MLS has had to offer this year, I don't know but if the standard is comparable to what I've witnessed, the MLS is a very poor quality level of Football and reminds me of non-league football at times. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

I've watched two MLS games this season now and I would ask the question "Has the MLS caught up with the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League"? Whether I've got unlucky and I've just happened to see two of the poorest games the MLS has had to offer this year, I don't know but if the standard is comparable to what I've witnessed, the MLS is a very poor quality level of Football and reminds me of non-league football at times. 

Similarly, I tried to get into MLS a few years back when Torsten Frings left us to join Toronto FC. The quality was so shocking I gave up completely after a few matches, just couldn't watch it. Now, I'd imagine it's gotten much better since then (after all, it's been 5-6 years), but that previous experience was just too awful for me to consider watching it again xD 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Similarly, I tried to get into MLS a few years back when Torsten Frings left us to join Toronto FC. The quality was so shocking I gave up completely after a few matches, just couldn't watch it. Now, I'd imagine it's gotten much better since then (after all, it's been 5-6 years), but that previous experience was just too awful for me to consider watching it again xD 

I watch a fair bit of MLS (Sky Sports usually have one or two games on at the weekends) and the only team I find at least mildly entertaining are Atlanta Utd. 

No-one else comes close to be honest. They can have as many stars in the league as they want, but they're not stars or players at the peak of their careers. I'd agree with @Smiley Culture in that, at times, it is non-league standard. On a par with A-League sometimes, too. 

It can be a painful watch sometimes with glimpses of quality by some players/teams. It's never consistently entertaining and the standard is quite poor across the league. 

• Subscriber
On 3/23/2018 at 11:45, nudge said:

I usually go to a WhiteCap's game once or twice a year, I started out going more with their inception into the league but prices have gone up and up as well as costs going into the city etc etc.

But you're absolutely right, the quality is pretty poor on most days, so when the likes of an over the hill Beckham or now even Ibra comes along they look so far ahead of most others on the pitch. I watched on TV actually our playoff against Tigres last season and it was really tough to watch as the Cap's I think literally had no shots on goal over 2 legs. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I usually go to a WhiteCap's game once or twice a year, I started out going more with their inception into the league but prices have gone up and up as well as costs going into the city etc etc.

But you're absolutely right, the quality is pretty poor on most days, so when the likes of an over the hill Beckham or now even Ibra comes along they look so far ahead of most others on the pitch. I watched on TV actually our playoff against Tigres last season and it was really tough to watch as the Cap's I think literally had no shots on goal over 2 legs. 

It's also a completely different supporter culture that makes it even worse for me; it's not that the stadiums are quiet or there's no support, far from that, but the atmosphere just seems... a bit off? I don't know, it's hard to explain, must be a cultural thing. 

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's also a completely different supporter culture that makes it even worse for me; it's not that the stadiums are quiet or there's no support, far from that, but the atmosphere just seems... a bit off? I don't know, it's hard to explain, must be a cultural thing. 

DEFENCE! DEFENCE!

Lets go Whitecaps let's go

"clappers"

:ph34r:

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

DEFENCE! DEFENCE!

Lets go Whitecaps let's go

"clappers"

:ph34r:

Now that you say that, it was very similar to the chants and sounds you used to hear in baseball or NBA arenas in mid 90s xD that tu-du-du-du, tu-du-du-du sound xD 

• Subscriber
On 3/23/2018 at 12:20, nudge said:

Absolutely it is different. Our local radio raves about our supporters and the die hard faction(I forget their name), because when compared to the hockey games its night and day difference. 

I went to a couple confed cup games in Seattle I guess it was a couple years ago, there was nearly no atmosphere at either game but the Argentina Bolivia game came alive when Messi was subbed on in the second half, that kind of says it all about north america while maybe more so Canada/USA. Mind you i did go to the MLS all star game in Portland in 2014 they played Bayern and it was an absolute blast. Spent the day downtown before hand and caught up with a fanclub that was parading and chanting all around for a few hours before the game. For a mean nothing game that was probably the liveliest i can remember other then the 2010 Olympics here.

22 hours ago, nudge said:

Now that you say that, it was very similar to the chants and sounds you used to hear in baseball or NBA arenas in mid 90s xD that tu-du-du-du, tu-du-du-du sound xD 

I get the defense chant in basketball as they score with most attempts so stopping that is like scoring but not in other sports

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I get the defense chant in basketball as they score with most attempts so stopping that is like scoring but not in other sports

The way I see it, it's more to distract the opposition when they are in control of the ball and to support your team at the same time (although I fail to see how chanting "DE-FENCE, DE-FENCE" could make you defend better, and it hardly has any motivational impact... that said, I personally find most of the chants in all sports cringey, so there's that, too.). When I used to play, defense chants were thankfully rare though; the supporters were whistling and booing at opposition instead xD  I personally think it works much better as it creates a much more hostile environment.

All I will say about the MLS is that Bradley Wright-Phillips struggled to make an impact at Championship level and often found himself dropping back down to League One which was more his level....then he went to the MLS and scored for fun.

Much like the A-League, there's a big focus on marquee signings and trying to stir the sport up in the country but the competitions themselves are generally relegation Championship level to mid table League One.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Mexico is quite possible is the worst country at converting their gigantic talent pool into anything worth while

I've always thought they are possibly the worlds biggest underachievers.  A population of almost 130 million and football is the most popular sport. 

39 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I've always thought they are possibly the worlds biggest underachievers.  A population of almost 130 million and football is the most popular sport. 

And when they do have an interesting player it turns out he hates the sport and wishes he was in the NBA.

Archived