• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

If You Could Live Anywhere in the World, Where Would it Be And Why?

Recommended Posts

Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll pose this question here: Where is your ideal place in the world to live in? (assuming that resources and language etc. are not an issue)

I need a place with beaches, a large city (am a city person), Latin temperament/sensibility, and proximity to other places/cities/countries worth visiting. 

For me it'd be Rio de Janeiro or Barcelona, with Barcelona edging it. Definitely not Miami Beach. Been there done that and am over it.

Would love to hear your thoughts/answers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I have thought about before. It's tough because I would like to live on a Mediterranean island but then again I haven't lived on one before so might not like it! Ideally at the moment, it would be in Fremantle or on the Swan River in Perth. Sounds mad considering I have spent almost my entire life around Perth. 

There are places I want to try for a year though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it stands, where I do now. Boring answer, but I haven't seen enough of the world to give a definitive answer and I've got a lot around me that I need.

If I ever felt I'd had enough of England, I'd go travelling and discover my dream life. I'd likely end up in Oceania.

My reasons why are probably based too much on my limited perception, rather than the reality.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Toinho @Dan Ta lads thank you very much for your input.  Much appreciated.

Whereabouts in the Mediterranean? That's a huge expanse of ocean. Loads of islands to savor: Sardinia, Corsica, Cyprus, Malta, The Greek Islands, The Balearic Islands, Tunisian, Egyptian islands off the top of my head.

Of course, if you want to go the Med route,  Barcelona's the largest city there is (islands notwithstanding, obviously.)

Yes, a year abroad would be a nice "gateway" to discover places you'll actually enjoy (or not enjoy) living. 

Never lived in the Southern Hemisphere. Wonder just how different that experience is (if any) aside from the obvious climate ones.

Yes, I reckon that once you see more of the world you'll want to see that much more of it @Dan. Believe me, I thoroughly enjoy all the creature comforts the States has to offer myself but living and traveling abroad helps you grow so  much as a person and human being. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where i am,  Melbourne, is pretty awesome. Its been rated as the most liveable city for the last few years and overall it has a lot going for it for anyone, let alone for myself with all my friends and family being here. 

If i were to move elsewhere for a year or two with work looking at locations that would offer interesting jobs for my wife and i and quality of life for my children I'd probably move to London, New York or Sydney.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Harry for your input. Yes, I've heard about Melbs being very ideal to live in. Same with Auckland, Sydney and Brisby, I believe.

To follow on from your point: Vienna has been the #1 Most Livable City in the World several/umpteen years in a row.

For me, oz and nz cities are too much alike "just another American city" (with all the requisite amenities etc.) to be given much consideration. That's speaking for myself, obviously. Guess I'm more beguiled by and attracted to the Continental European/South American/Caribbean lifestyle, from a cultural standpoint.

I'm Anglo too, mind, but like a bit more "flava" lol.

So no-one else has the wanderlust to uproot from one's surroundings (with family and all) and make a go of it in other cities/countries/places? Does domestic wedded bliss necessitate that we stay where we are? No one else has a sense of adventure etc.? No one likes to challenge themselves? Taking care of one's family means "battening down the hatches" and "play it safe"?

Hindsight is 20/20 of course :What if that living elsewhere turns out to be the best decision anyone can make in their personal development and that of their family's?

A lot of topics and differing schools of thought/viewpoints can be generated from the original question, as we can see!

(Again, we're assuming that resources and languages are not factors/considerations here).

Food for thought.

Edited by Paulo Dybala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess what piqued/stoked my interest in this topic is this family, who call themselves "The Bucket List Family." He used to be a fellow footy player too.

https://www.thebucketlistfamily.com/about/

Now, granted, their situation may be a bit different from some  ppl as they're (more or less) retired and aren't interested in living where they travel to (as far as I know) but I've always thought of travel as something that allows you to see the world and pick and choose your next/new/additional "property/home base" from. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it's Southeast Asia. Love the nature, the climate, the flair, the food, etc. If I had to go back to Europe, then Switzerland or a small Italian town would be my ideal place. Still haven't visited a lot of countries though, so not ruling out anything else, but it will be hard to beat SE Asia for me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your input @nudge I see that you're in Vietnam? Been there twice. Wonderful country, love the food.  Yes I agree that SEAsia as a whole has a lot to offer travelers/expats. We're talking Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore here. Haven't been to the rest. Food really is amazing in these parts. Weather bit too hot and humid for me personally but you do get used to it (lived in Singapore for a bit).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Thanks for your input @nudge I see that you're in Vietnam? Been there twice. Wonderful country, love the food.  Yes I agree that SEAsia as a whole has a lot to offer travelers/expats. We're talking Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore here. Haven't been to the rest. Food really is amazing in these parts. Weather bit too hot and humid for me personally but you do get used to it (lived in Singapore for a bit).

I'm in Cambodia actually hehe, been living here for almost 4 years, will be moving to Vietnam later this year. Originally fell in love with SE Asia in Thailand though. Other than the obvious reasons mentioned above, I especially appreciate different culture and way of life in general, there are certainly both pros and cons, but personally, I enjoy life here more than anywhere else. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Toinho love a bit of Freo...I'd go back just for the grub at Little Creatures.

I could happily live in Melbourne or Sydney, show me a better beach city in the world and you've probably made it up. The harbour is amazing, the bridge and the opera house, the view of the skyline from the botanic gardens, swimming at North Sydney Olympic Pool underneath the Harbour bridge. Drinking in the Rocks...beaching and drinking at Bondi and Coogee, doing the Spit to Manly walk (legitimately one of the best things I've ever done in Aus and that's up the East Coast trip). Brighton-Le-Sands is nice and the harbour around Cronulla and the national park is paradise like. Not to forget Palm Beach which is again just pure paradise. So quite easily Sydney.

Alternatively I loved Melbourne and as much as I loved the stuff above in Sydney, it does lack in bars, restaurants and night life compared to Melbourne even if it is still class. I could spend a weekend in Fitzroy and not be close to bored.

With that said, I wouldn't want to move all the way to Australia just to live in Melbourne as it doesn't offer anything better than you can get in Europe, less technically and would much rather stay in London and have all of Europe on my doorstep.

If I were to live in Europe, Paris is absolutely amazing. Montmatre is just somewhere that cannot be beaten for a day or an evening. Rome was amazing as well and I've always wanted to go back to Barcelona. In truth I could live in any of those cities and probably many more around Europe but Paris and Rome would currently be at the top of my list

 I'd like to give some US cities a go but also don't fancy paying for my own healthcare, but excluding that, would look into New York, LA, San Francisco, Miami etc.

If were talking the UK then obviously London but affording it is something else entirely. Otherwise Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool or Newcastle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing couple votes for Melbourne and Sydney from @Danny and @Harry. Never been to either. Don't feel much of an incentive to do so, having been to Honolulu, Miami and LA in the States. Great beach cities all.

Here are the Best Cities by the Water according to the Daily Mail (Barcelona at #2):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3636484/From-volcanic-fields-Auckland-architectural-treasures-Barcelona-MailOnline-Travel-showcases-best-cities-water.html

Paris is amazing, agreed, but it doesn't have the warm sunny friendly vibe that Barcelona has for me.

Berlin's also top shelf too. Switzerland I wouldn't mind living for a while. 

Playa del Carmen in Mexico better than Puerto Vallarta.

Anyone been to Estoril and Cascais care to comment on them?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

of all the places I've been to on holiday, I think I'd love to live in Rebak Island Resort, Langkawi. 

Went there in 2011 as part of a 2-week holiday to Dubai and Kuala Lumpur. Langkawi is an island just west of Malaysia and it's a short boat ride from the island of Langkawi to Rebak Island. 

Sunrises and sunsets are incredible and something I could never get bored of. Everyone there seemed friendly enough and welcoming. You're not too far away from reaching Malaysia but it is quite a far away from Kuala Lumpur. From the resort we stayed in, you'd have the pool area and lounging area. Literally a few steps in between a few rows of trees and you'd be on to the beach if you wanted to. 

Tranquility in abundance. Could not have a care in the world about anything and just enjoy life as relaxing as it can be. 

The only downside I think some people would feel is isolation. And also I only know the island as it is in summer so in the winter times, it might get a bit shit weather-wise but that'd be the case anywhere?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan said:

of all the places I've been to on holiday, I think I'd love to live in Rebak Island Resort, Langkawi. 

Went there in 2011 as part of a 2-week holiday to Dubai and Kuala Lumpur. Langkawi is an island just west of Malaysia and it's a short boat ride from the island of Langkawi to Rebak Island. 

Sunrises and sunsets are incredible and something I could never get bored of. Everyone there seemed friendly enough and welcoming. You're not too far away from reaching Malaysia but it is quite a far away from Kuala Lumpur. From the resort we stayed in, you'd have the pool area and lounging area. Literally a few steps in between a few rows of trees and you'd be on to the beach if you wanted to. 

Tranquility in abundance. Could not have a care in the world about anything and just enjoy life as relaxing as it can be. 

The only downside I think some people would feel is isolation. And also I only know the island as it is in summer so in the winter times, it might get a bit shit weather-wise but that'd be the case anywhere?

Sounds positively ideal mate :) Your slice of heaven, I take it :) 

Never been to the Philippines but I understand that they have some of the best beaches in the world. Hard to compare them with the Maldives and Turks and Caicos??!! Maldives and T&C to me are the gold standard when it comes to beaches. White sand, sapphire water. Pure Paradise, the both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably an unpopular opinion here, but I personally prefer living in developing countries - given that I have enough resources of course though, as living as an average local is often very much about survival, so not much fun in that. There are various reasons, such as more personal freedom, less rules, a certain degree of roughness and wildness, less boredom of getting stuck in a routine and more experiences and challenges to satisfy one's curiosity, but one of the biggest things that really fascinates me is watching a country grow and see things change almost on a daily basis, some for better and some for worse; it's unbelievable, like living out a history book haha. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

The only downside I think some people would feel is isolation. And also I only know the island as it is in summer so in the winter times, it might get a bit shit weather-wise but that'd be the case anywhere?

There's no winter in Langkawi, hehe, the weather's is pretty consistent throught the year, there are just a few months of rainy season, but it's not too bad. 

I agree about isolation though, I love my peace and quiet and couldn't really live in a big metropolis, but an island - while tempting sometimes - could really get boring and the worst thing, you can't easily get away from it sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion here, but I personally prefer living in developing countries - given that I have enough resources of course though, as living as an average local is often very much about survival, so not much fun in that. There are various reasons, such as more personal freedom, less rules, a certain degree of roughness and wildness, less boredom of getting stuck in a routine and more experiences and challenges to satisfy one's curiosity, but one of the biggest things that really fascinates me is watching a country grow and see things change almost on a daily basis, some for better and some for worse; it's unbelievable, like living out a history book haha. 

Hmmm...unpopular though it might be, I commend your honesty! A lot of us are so reliant on the comfort that we have in the "West". It does take courage to step outside one's comfort zone. I honestly don't know if I could live in a so-called developing country. To visit, yes, absolutely, but to live in? Not really sure. I guess I've grown accustomed to living in places with sound infrastructure, being a city person. 

also political stability is important to me (which is why I filed this under "News & Politics" initially. There goes Rio and Barcelona then??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably here, Norwich.

I could live elsewhere for 6-9 months of the year I think, but if we are talking having to live somewhere permanently for 12 months apart from a holiday or two back to the uk then it would certainly be England and probably around here.

Australia is missing two important things for me that make up a big part of my social life. Football and pubs. The football is shit and it’s too hot to play most of the year and the pubs are shit or non existent. The drinking scene in the UK is far superior. I do think Australian cities are very liveable. I liked them all but Sydney having a beach close by is a big plus point.

Langkawi is a good shout. Did you go to Penang, Stan? Penang is bigger and has more stuff more beaches aren’t as good. Them two would be up there for me. As Nidge said they don’t have a winter and hardly even have a rainy season!

Also, Da Nang in Vietnam. It’s a beach city, but a pretty small city. It doesn’t have the claustrophobic feel that most cities in Asia have. Rainy season is grim in Vietnam though. 

i haven’t been to Barcelona but I imagine that would be up there. A city with a beach is a massive pull for me.

 

Norwich or somewhere else in England, but I think I’d love Barcelona.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nudge said:

There's no winter in Langkawi, hehe, the weather's is pretty consistent throught the year, there are just a few months of rainy season, but it's not too bad. 

I agree about isolation though, I love my peace and quiet and couldn't really live in a big metropolis, but an island - while tempting sometimes - could really get boring and the worst thing, you can't easily get away from it sometimes.

Awesome! That's that sorted. You can be my first guest of honour :D 

Was it affected by the tsunami/earthquake in Sumatra? It's not too far there so must have had some effect. 

23 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Sounds positively ideal mate :) Your slice of heaven, I take it :) 

Never been to the Philippines but I understand that they have some of the best beaches in the world. Hard to compare them with the Maldives and Turks and Caicos??!! Maldives and T&C to me are the gold standard when it comes to beaches. White sand, sapphire water. Pure Paradise, the both of them.

I just remember being in pure happiness back then with family and in the perfect place for that moment in time :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marc said:

Probably here, Norwich.

I could live elsewhere for 6-9 months of the year I think, but if we are talking having to live somewhere permanently for 12 months apart from a holiday or two back to the uk then it would certainly be England and probably around here.

Australia is missing two important things for me that make up a big part of my social life. Football and pubs. The football is shit and it’s too hot to play most of the year and the pubs are shit or non existent. The drinking scene in the UK is far superior. I do think Australian cities are very liveable. I liked them all but Sydney having a beach close by is a big plus point.

Langkawi is a good shout. Did you go to Penang, Stan? Penang is bigger and has more stuff more beaches aren’t as good. Them two would be up there for me. As Nidge said they don’t have a winter and hardly even have a rainy season!

Also, Da Nang in Vietnam. It’s a beach city, but a pretty small city. It doesn’t have the claustrophobic feel that most cities in Asia have. Rainy season is grim in Vietnam though. 

i haven’t been to Barcelona but I imagine that would be up there. A city with a beach is a massive pull for me.

 

Norwich or somewhere else in England, but I think I’d love Barcelona.

Thanks for the input @Marc. Yes, need me some beach too. Doesn't matter if it's an urban one like Barcelona. Cheers.

Don't know much about NZ or Oz to make a comment either way. Never had any desire to visit either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Hmmm...unpopular though it might be, I commend your honesty! A lot of us are so reliant on the comfort that we have in the "West". It does take courage to step outside one's comfort zone. I honestly don't know if I could live in a so-called developing country. To visit, yes, absolutely, but to live in? Not really sure. I guess I've grown accustomed to living in places with sound infrastructure. 

I think there are also certain tiers of "development" though, as let's be honest, living in a country like Brazil can't be compared to living in a country like Liberia, for example, although both are considered to be "developing countries".The differences still can be huge, and it rapidly changes, too. As for the luxuries of the West, sure, there are certain things that definitely make life quality better, but to be fair, a lot of them are also completely unnecessary or at least not really important. Bad waste management and lack of good medical care is probably the only thing that bothers me here, but then there are enough good options in the region too, e.g. Thailand and Singapore are at least as good if not better in terms of medical services as Western countries. Other than that, an occasional power cut or poor roads outside the bigger towns are not too bad, transportation is surprisingly alright and I personally don't need numerous supermarkets, fashion outlets and fast Western food joints on every corner (I still enjoy Western food though and eat it often!). Certain cultural aspects such as punctuality bother me more than poor/developing infrastructure, to be honest xD 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marc said:

Langkawi is a good shout. Did you go to Penang, Stan? Penang is bigger and has more stuff more beaches aren’t as good. Them two would be up there for me. As Nidge said they don’t have a winter and hardly even have a rainy season!

Norwich or somewhere else in England, but I think I’d love Barcelona.

I don't think we did mate. We would have flown over it from KL to Langkawi so didn't stop there.

If I had to live anywhere in Europe, and therefore closer to home, Barcelona would be the pick. Probably wouldn't live in the city as I like my quiet time but I'd choose somewhere where it's still easily accessible to get in to the centre (and near Camp Nou obviously). It's such a vibrant city and again I've had a great holiday there. Obviously with it being Europe as well you're only a few hours from being back in the UK so could easily arrange trips either back to there or across any part of Europe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Awesome! That's that sorted. You can be my first guest of honour :D 

Was it affected by the tsunami/earthquake in Sumatra? It's not too far there so must have had some effect. 

I just remember being in pure happiness back then with family and in the perfect place for that moment in time :)

Langkawi was devastated by the tsunami of 2004, don't think it was affected by the Sumatra one, although it was at risk for sure!

So move there already, I'm packing up xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nudge said:

I think there are also certain tiers of "development" though, as let's be honest, living in a country like Brazil can't be compared to living in a country like Liberia, for example, although both are considered to be "developing countries".The differences still can be huge, and it rapidly changes, too. As for the luxuries of the West, sure, there are certain things that definitely make life quality better, but to be fair, a lot of them are also completely unnecessary or at least not really important. Bad waste management and lack of good medical care is probably the only thing that bothers me here, but then there are enough good options in the region too, e.g. Thailand and Singapore are at least as good if not better in terms of medical services as Western countries. Other than that, an occasional power cut or poor roads outside the bigger towns are not too bad, transportation is surprisingly alright and I personally don't need numerous supermarkets, fashion outlets and fast Western food joints on every corner (I still enjoy Western food though and eat it often!). Certain cultural aspects such as punctuality bother me more than poor/developing infrastructure, to be honest xD 

Yes I concur that Singapore in particular has truly stellar infrastructure, amenities and facilities. There's a reason why they are consistently ranked #1 in terms of infrastructure worldwide. Wasn't Changi recently awarded "Best Airport in the World" for the umpteenth time? 

I've lived in Singapore but probably wouldn't want to do so again. Their infrastructure is second to none for a good reason: their government has a hand in EVERYTHING. Not sure if chewing gum is still banned there!! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think we did mate. We would have flown over it from KL to Langkawi so didn't stop there.

If I had to live anywhere in Europe, and therefore closer to home, Barcelona would be the pick. Probably wouldn't live in the city as I like my quiet time but I'd choose somewhere where it's still easily accessible to get in to the centre (and near Camp Nou obviously). It's such a vibrant city and again I've had a great holiday there. Obviously with it being Europe as well you're only a few hours from being back in the UK so could easily arrange trips either back to there or across any part of Europe. 

Yes, proximity to other places worth visiting is also key factor in making a choice. You simply can't beat Barcelona, Nice or London etc. etc. in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Yes I concur that Singapore in particular has truly stellar infrastructure, amenities and facilities. There's a reason why they are consistently ranked #1 in terms of infrastructure worldwide. Wasn't Changi recently awarded "Best Airport in the World" for the umpteenth time? 

I've lived in Singapore but probably wouldn't want to do so again. Their infrastructure is second to none for a good reason: their government has a hand in EVERYTHING. Not sure if chewing gum is still banned there!! 

Singapore is not for me, either. As you said, it's over-policed and living in an overpriced global trade metropolis with lack of soul doesn't appeal to me, anyway. Changi deserves it award though, I loved the butterfly garden in particular!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the beach or in a nice countryside village. Couldn't think of anything nicer than a house with a big garden and surrounded by woodland and countryside, especially in summer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

By the beach or in a nice countryside village. Couldn't think of anything nicer than a house with a big garden and surrounded by woodland and countryside, especially in summer.

it sounds really paranoid but I wouldn't want to be the only one/only house in that area. I'd constantly be wary of being a target if I was located in such a secluded area with no other neighbours. Unless there was a high profile, high-tech security system then I'd be fine xD. And I figure if you're living in such a big house in the first place you'd probably be able to afford that protection. If I was living with family security and safety would be paramount. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement