talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

If You Could Live Anywhere in the World, Where Would it Be And Why?

football forum

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I think there are also certain tiers of "development" though, as let's be honest, living in a country like Brazil can't be compared to living in a country like Liberia, for example, although both are considered to be "developing countries".The differences still can be huge, and it rapidly changes, too. As for the luxuries of the West, sure, there are certain things that definitely make life quality better, but to be fair, a lot of them are also completely unnecessary or at least not really important. Bad waste management and lack of good medical care is probably the only thing that bothers me here, but then there are enough good options in the region too, e.g. Thailand and Singapore are at least as good if not better in terms of medical services as Western countries. Other than that, an occasional power cut or poor roads outside the bigger towns are not too bad, transportation is surprisingly alright and I personally don't need numerous supermarkets, fashion outlets and fast Western food joints on every corner (I still enjoy Western food though and eat it often!). Certain cultural aspects such as punctuality bother me more than poor/developing infrastructure, to be honest xD 

Yes I concur that Singapore in particular has truly stellar infrastructure, amenities and facilities. There's a reason why they are consistently ranked #1 in terms of infrastructure worldwide. Wasn't Changi recently awarded "Best Airport in the World" for the umpteenth time? 

I've lived in Singapore but probably wouldn't want to do so again. Their infrastructure is second to none for a good reason: their government has a hand in EVERYTHING. Not sure if chewing gum is still banned there!! 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think we did mate. We would have flown over it from KL to Langkawi so didn't stop there.

If I had to live anywhere in Europe, and therefore closer to home, Barcelona would be the pick. Probably wouldn't live in the city as I like my quiet time but I'd choose somewhere where it's still easily accessible to get in to the centre (and near Camp Nou obviously). It's such a vibrant city and again I've had a great holiday there. Obviously with it being Europe as well you're only a few hours from being back in the UK so could easily arrange trips either back to there or across any part of Europe. 

Yes, proximity to other places worth visiting is also key factor in making a choice. You simply can't beat Barcelona, Nice or London etc. etc. in that regard.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Yes I concur that Singapore in particular has truly stellar infrastructure, amenities and facilities. There's a reason why they are consistently ranked #1 in terms of infrastructure worldwide. Wasn't Changi recently awarded "Best Airport in the World" for the umpteenth time? 

I've lived in Singapore but probably wouldn't want to do so again. Their infrastructure is second to none for a good reason: their government has a hand in EVERYTHING. Not sure if chewing gum is still banned there!! 

Singapore is not for me, either. As you said, it's over-policed and living in an overpriced global trade metropolis with lack of soul doesn't appeal to me, anyway. Changi deserves it award though, I loved the butterfly garden in particular!

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

By the beach or in a nice countryside village. Couldn't think of anything nicer than a house with a big garden and surrounded by woodland and countryside, especially in summer.

it sounds really paranoid but I wouldn't want to be the only one/only house in that area. I'd constantly be wary of being a target if I was located in such a secluded area with no other neighbours. Unless there was a high profile, high-tech security system then I'd be fine xD. And I figure if you're living in such a big house in the first place you'd probably be able to afford that protection. If I was living with family security and safety would be paramount. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

it sounds really paranoid but I wouldn't want to be the only one/only house in that area. I'd constantly be wary of being a target if I was located in such a secluded area with no other neighbours. Unless there was a high profile, high-tech security system then I'd be fine xD. And I figure if you're living in such a big house in the first place you'd probably be able to afford that protection. If I was living with family security and safety would be paramount. 

Three guard dogs, problem solved :P 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ah, see, that's the thing: they say the worst crimes in humanity are committed in isolated locations. When you live in a city, at least you have a framework of protection afforded you by your neighbors and police etc. When you're out there in the wilderness, anything can happen.

I need peace and quiet too, but those can be also be had in the city (or on the outskirts).

Barcelona, though, has the reputation of being a particularly LOUD city. Something to consider.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

3 of these should do the trick.... One might easily be forgiven for thinking they have accidentally stumbled on Black Panther enclosure... 

ajqFETR.jpg

g4emuWX.jpg

:o:o:o What a beauty. Surely not to be messed with! 

11 minutes ago, Azeem98 said:

I'm a mountain's man and the best place i've been so far in Pakistan is Kalam Valley,Swat. Been there three times and in 2015 spen't two months there. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJaaKB3Gm20IP1zPNeLUq

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQryNp3GNiVuR16Kmg0W9v

Looks brilliant.

Yes ideal place would have mountains/hills AND beach. Barcelona has all of those things. Truly ideal (even if we ignore the FC for a second here!!)

How good is Barcelona as a city? So good and so many things to do it may be a while before you even attend a home match at the Camp Nou!!

EDIT: I mean-that's not even taking Barca into account!! Truly the BEST club of all time. Certainly the best football ever played. Everyone knows this but will disagree just to disagree :) 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

:o:o:o What a beauty. Surely not to be messed with! 

Related image

For sure... such a beautiful deep black coat.. Not something I would have around children, more for the lonely mountain man types, Just pure muscle and power but has to be admired.. 

Just now, Bluewolf said:

You have probably used them all up for a period... It's called the 'Cannabis Effect'

Oh gotcha thanks. Too  much of that ganja eh? lol just kidding. I know who you mean :)

Oh, and speaking of safe/feeling safe in one's neighborhood/place/locale/city/hilly village/forest enclosure/forest clearing etc.

7 hours ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Thanks @Harry for your input. Yes, I've heard about Melbs being very ideal to live in. Same with Auckland, Sydney and Brisby, I believe.

To follow on from your point: Vienna has been the #1 Most Livable City in the World several/umpteen years in a row.

For me, oz and nz cities are too much alike "just another American city" (with all the requisite amenities etc.) to be given much consideration. That's speaking for myself, obviously. Guess I'm more beguiled by and attracted to the Continental European/South American/Caribbean lifestyle, from a cultural standpoint.

I'm Anglo too, mind, but like a bit more "flava" lol.

So no-one else has the wanderlust to uproot from one's surroundings (with family and all) and make a go of it in other cities/countries/places? Does domestic wedded bliss necessitate that we stay where we are? No one else has a sense of adventure etc.? No one likes to challenge themselves? Taking care of one's family means "battening down the hatches" and "play it safe"?

Hindsight is 20/20 of course :What if that living elsewhere turns out to be the best decision anyone can make in their personal development and that of their family's?

A lot of topics and differing schools of thought/viewpoints can be generated from the original question, as we can see!

(Again, we're assuming that resources and languages are not factors/considerations here).

Food for thought.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-16/melbourne-named-worlds-most-liveable-city-for-seventh-year/8812196

Melbourne, vienna and Vancouver seem to be the consistent top 3.

But the criteria is more about stability, job prospects and access to services and amenities. I'm not sure there's a criteria for history or archaeology which is a huge part of what makes Europe so great.  They do have quite a lot of events here with the grand prix, Australian open, Melbourne cup, comedy festival etc but definitely they don't compete with Europe. 

I dont consider sydney a good long term living option (to raise a family) due to property prices. but its about as beautiful a place as I've ever been.

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-16/melbourne-named-worlds-most-liveable-city-for-seventh-year/8812196

But the criteria is more about stability, job prospects and access to services and amenities. I'm not sure there's a criteria for history or archaeology which is a huge part of what makes Europe so great.  They do have quite a lot of events here with the grand prix, Australian open, Melbourne cup, comedy festival etc but definitely they don't compete with Europe. 

I dont consider sydney a good long term living option (to raise a family) due to property prices. but its about as beautiful a place as I've ever been.

Yes,  @Harry those 3 cities seem to be the "perennial favorites", so to speak.

(I like ur Funkadelic album cover btw. Bootsy Collins is a wizard on the bass!)

Is there any Melbourne-Sydney rivalry? inter city rivalry? 

I've heard that Sydney ppl can be quite snobby compared to Melbs. Probs due to/in keeping with the property prices you mentioned. 

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes part of the reason why I never considered Australia and New Zealand to even visit is, quite frankly, they simply can't compare to Europe in terms of culture, architecture, art and historical import. Don't want to offend Ozzies and Kiwis on here, obviously, but there's nothing in those countries I can't get and experience in the States (I'm speaking as a person with Oz friends, mind).

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Both look beautiful nature-wise though, especially New Zealand. I've never been, and would consider other places before Australia or NZ, but they do look very scenic.

That's the thing though:  I'll always consider other places before Australia or NZ. What the two countries offer are essentially variations on what the USA offers. Variations on a theme.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

That's the thing though:  I'll always consider other places before Australia or NZ. What the two countries offer are essentially variations to what the USA offers.

DsHHP3Afjp-8.png

Archived