talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

If You Could Live Anywhere in the World, Where Would it Be And Why?

football forum

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have mates in Sao Paulo. Not so much in Rio. 

The carioca lifestyle has always appealed to me much more than the paulista. I'm a sucker for stunning scenery and picturesque beaches.

So I take it that most ppl would choose Barcelona over Rio as a place to live? That seems to be the consensus among me mates too, generally speaking (though they tend to yay or nay more or less among geographic lines: Europe vs South America). 

Buenos Aires, just like Berlin, used to be very affordable to travel to and live in. Not sure about now. 

Renaca in Chile's also a likely possibility.

(Going back to what I was saying about being intrigued by Silk Road Sojourns to Samarkand and Such, that's probably something I'd do later on in life. Not so much now. That'd be more of a cerebral contemplative journey.)

19 hours ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Yes part of the reason why I never considered Australia and New Zealand to even visit is, quite frankly, they simply can't compare to Europe in terms of culture, architecture, art and historical import. Don't want to offend Ozzies and Kiwis on here, obviously, but there's nothing in those countries I can't get and experience in the States (I'm speaking as a person with Oz friends, mind).

Not to even visit??? Crazy man.

In terms of landscape there are very few places in the world that could compete with Australia, from the beaches down the west Coast, the Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, Whitsunday Island...and they're just the popular backpacker spots. You could absolutely not get an Australian experience in America.

Ive only just arrived in New Zealand but going off of pictures, videos and advice the South Island is incredible.

19 hours ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Yes part of the reason why I never considered Australia and New Zealand to even visit is, quite frankly, they simply can't compare to Europe in terms of culture, architecture, art and historical import. Don't want to offend Ozzies and Kiwis on here, obviously, but there's nothing in those countries I can't get and experience in the States (I'm speaking as a person with Oz friends, mind).

In terms of landscape there are very few places in the world that could compete with Australia, from the beaches down the west Coast, the Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, Whitsunday Island...and they're just the popular backpacker spots. You could absolutely not get an Australian experience in America.

Ive only just arrived in New Zealand but going off of pictures, videos and advice the South Island is incredible.

Just now, Danny said:

Cheers mate, I'll take it under advisement. Thank you. I do know Australia has truly amazing beaches.

Definitely Italy, you can pretty much pick anywhere and it will be beautiful but maybe just outside Rome, by the sea would be perfect. It's the greatest city on earth.

Don't get why people rate Barcelona so highly, it's nothing much to look at and you can find plenty of nicer cities with beaches. Nice being a good example.

48 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think it's more the complete lack of culture and history. It just seems a very bland place, although I wouldn't mind going to see the Ashes out there.

New Zealand does look to be wonderful in terms of landscape though.

13 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Definitely Italy, you can pretty much pick anywhere and it will be beautiful but maybe just outside Rome, by the sea would be perfect. It's the greatest city on earth.

Don't get why people rate Barcelona so highly, it's nothing much to look at and you can find plenty of nicer cities with beaches. Nice being a good example.

Yes, I'm especially enamored with the Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre and Positano. As well as Forte dei Marmi just outside Firenze.  

Nice IS very pebbly though :) While we're on the subject of the Cote d'Azur, that drive from Saint Tropez to San Remo is a sight to behold.

19 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I think it's more the complete lack of culture and history. It just seems a very bland place, although I wouldn't mind going to see the Ashes out there.

No real European culture or history no, indigenous yes.

Definitely not bland, but yes you notice the difference compared to Europe culturally. But you come here for the landscape and the weather and there are few places on Earth that can match Australia for that.

7 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Is the indigenous culture still prevalent? Australia's history seems to be one of bulldozing the indigenous people out of existence and history.

Sydney Harbour Bridge has the indigenous flag up about 20 days a year, the rest is just a maritime flag along with the Australian one. Which in itself says all you need to know.

Australia is extremely western/European and you won't really find indigenous culture at every turn (not in Sydney and Melbourne anyway) but there's enough out there for you to find, it's just not held up as being Australian whereas in comparison you can tell Maori culture is at the heart of New Zealand as soon as you get off the plane. But art galleries for example are a good place to start, some nice paintings that tell a lot of untold stories.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Sydney Harbour Bridge has the indigenous flag up about 20 days a year, the rest is just a maritime flag along with the Australian one. Which in itself says all you need to know.

Australia is extremely western/European and you won't really find indigenous culture at every turn (not in Sydney and Melbourne anyway) but there's enough out there for you to find, it's just not held up as being Australian whereas in comparison you can tell Maori culture is at the heart of New Zealand as soon as you get off the plane. But art galleries for example are a good place to start, some nice paintings that tell a lot of untold stories.

Yes the Maori culture is much more woven into and accepted by mainstream Kiwi culture and society than is the case in Oz.

Powerful stuff in the video.

49 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Our natives are arguably the oldest living peoples on the planet? How ignorant most people on here are.

3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Our natives are arguably the oldest living peoples on the planet? How ignorant most people on here are.

Yeah, the few natives that are left. They're not representative of modern Australian culture (sic) though are they, they've been actively discriminated against for centuries.

6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Yeah, the few natives that are left. They're not representative of modern Australian culture though are they, they've been actively discriminated against for centuries.

I didn't see any post under the one I quoted. Apologies. Phone is messing up!

That is true to an extent. It certainly isn't as woven into daily life like our evil accent yet fantastically progressive neighbours are. Something that is appalling on our part. 

My point however was there IS culture and history here. Most of it is unpleasant, but a lot of history is unpleasant the world around in one way or another. If you're looking for historical buildings like Europe, then it's not going to happen, but if you're looking for sacred Aboriginal land, places, and natural features - they're around. I think working at a school of 40% indigenous kids has further woken me up to the shit state we really are. However, there's history ans culture here - is my point. Modern culture, not so much is interwoven. 

6 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I didn't see any post under the one I quoted. Apologies. Phone is messing up!

That is true to an extent. It certainly isn't as woven into daily life like our evil accent yet fantastically progressive neighbours are. Something that is appalling on our part. 

My point however was there IS culture and history here. Most of it is unpleasant, but a lot of history is unpleasant the world around in one way or another. If you're looking for historical buildings like Europe, then it's not going to happen, but if you're looking for sacred Aboriginal land, places, and natural features - they're around. I think working at a school of 40% indigenous kids has further woken me up to the shit state we really are. However, there's history ans culture here - is my point. Modern culture, not so much is interwoven. 

I understand it's very easy for Ozzies and Kiwis to distinguish each other's accents from one other but I'm unable to do so. Can you give me any pointers in that regard? Tell one accent from the other, that is.

2 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

I understand it's very easy for Ozzies and Kiwis to distinguish each other's accents from one other but I'm unable to do so. Can you give me any pointers in that regard? Tell one accent from the other, that is.

They just can't pronounce vowels how they should be! 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Reasons to move to Barcelona from a personal perspective:-

• Not far from the River Ebro, great for fishing.
  • The language(I can understand Spanish, but not French and learning Catalan quickly wouldn't be difficult.)
  • The weather, which is perfect really as it's never really too hot or cold.
  • The football
  • The relaxed culture
  • The food                                                                           
  • The LA style Cannabis culture

There is also plenty to do in general and you are only a train journey away from many other amazing places, especially down the coast.

As for Nice? There is only really the Carp fishing that stands out when it comes to France in general. It's not just about how nice a city looks, but you actually feeling comfortable living there.

I'd say LA but I've never been before, although I have a feeling I would be at home there. The USA is a lot more appealing than Australia to me.

2 hours ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Yes, I'm especially enamored with the Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre and Positano. As well as Forte dei Marmi just outside Firenze.  

Nice IS very pebbly though :) While we're on the subject of the Cote d'Azur, that drive from Saint Tropez to San Remo is a sight to behold.

There are some nice sandy beaches around Antibes though, a short train journey away.

Archived