talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

If You Could Live Anywhere in the World, Where Would it Be And Why?

football forum

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Berserker said:

I'm exactly like you in this regard Nudge. Nothing like avoiding a fine for drunkdriving with a couple bucks and putting loud as fuck music in your car without anybody stopping you. Also you wouldn't feel like the king of the world by showing with a supercar in a developed country as opposed to doing it in a developing one. :P

Hehe, yes sort of, a certain level of corruption can certainly be very helpful in certain situations, even if it's a setback for the country in general. However, here the official traffic fines are so affordable you don't even need to bribe anyone... Running a red light means 12 USD fine, for example... 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nudge said:

Hehe, yes sort of, a certain level of corruption can certainly be very helpful in certain situations, even if it's a setback for the country in general. However, here the official traffic fines are so affordable you don't even need to bribe anyone... Running a red light means 12 USD fine, for example... 

Yeah pretty much, well, that certainly works too hehe.

I will never understand how people can say 'Australian and New Zealand lack culture'. What the hey? Are we some blank-state robots that have nothing individualistic or unique to our nations? Indigenous Australians have a very interesting mythology and history but there are some huge reasons to why it has evaporated throughout time. It is oral tradition, just like many ancient people of antiquity, it has been lost through the shifting tides of culture and language, I'd bet $5 that if Australia remained untouched those oral stories would have transformed hugely since the days of colonisation; just because people tend to embellish repeated stories, who knows how much culture and tradition is lost when it is oral? Many traditions aren't shared; Indigenous Australians are separated into over two-hundred language groups, just like Native-North Americans, there is a huge discrepancy between Indigenous-Australians of South-West Queensland and those from the Perth area.  A huge lack of interest in Indigenous youth; from what I saw growing up; many kids identified with 'Gangsta Rap' and Black-America than bands like Yothu-Yindi and Warumpi Band. And of course, colonisation; can't forget that big one. @Toinho you say that Australians haven't embraced Indigenous culture like the Kiwis have, and that is true; Australia hasn't and it's taken a drastic measure for yourself to have exposure to Indigenous culture; you can blame the framework of our society all you like for that but ultimately you could have engaged in Indigenous culture at any time, right? Sadly enough, Indigenous culture these days, isn't all 'Rainbow Snake' and 'Min-Min Lights', it's soaking a rag in petrol and huffing it. The cycle of poverty has it's firm grasp on the Indigenous people of Australia, and many live in relative poverty, and the average Skippy and F.O.B. Australian family doesn't know this because: they don't live or visit rural Australia, it isn't reported on the news, and to most people Australia is three cities. I'm sure you'd love to hear my stories and anecdotes on school in rural Australia and relationships between black fellas, white fellas, and half-castes, given you are a teacher, which ultimately is a shame because I'm from the east and you are from the west, so we'll probably never meet. Many rural towns are dead-ends that never really give many Indigenous Australians a chance to shine, and when they move away from their family they are in an alien society, their shibboleths make them stand out and appear 'idiotic'. Not to mention there are huge tax cuts to many programs tailored for the Indigenous communities, and rural Australia. The country outside of the big cities is 'no-mans land' so no wonder most people don't give a toss about them, and why would they? Why would they care about some backwater town in the middle of the desert with methamphetamine problems? I'm twenty-four and every now and then I see kids that I went to school with for over a decade have killed themselves. Kids are jail birds, drug-addicts, etc.

People can say that Australian history isn't a particularly pretty history, but it is an INHERITED history from the British. We are, ultimately a product of the 'glorious' British Empire. The 'Australian' identity didn't exist in 1800 when Hawkesbury and Nepean Wars occurred, that was the British. Yes, Australia has done horrible things; like the 'Stolen Generation' but our compliance in everything is just a product of what 'Australia' is: a remote British colony that developed it's own identity and culture over the last two hundred plus years. So I'll be fucked if I take lip from a Yank or a Brit about Australia's history and culture; when there's is same-same but different. Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe...amongst others is Britain's legacy on the world. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Toinho said:

South east Asia is far too dirty and mad for me to consider living there. Great for a few weeks of holidaying though! 

There's a garbage problem in most of Southeast Asia for sure, but it's not that hard to find clean places if you stay away from the big cities and tourist hot spots, it really depends on where you go... Take Thailand - Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya are filty, however, go to Nan, Roi-Et, southern places like Songkhla, Trang or Krabi, or many of the provincial towns, and it's a different story altogether... Cambodia, same same - Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanoukville are all filthy, go to a town like Kep though, and it's probably the cleanest place I've been in SE Asia; spotless clean streets, functioning garbage collection system, clean beach. Vietnam, again - Saigon is dirty, other smaller towns like Hue, or especially Danang - which is quite spotless - are very different. Hotel standards of hygiene are not worse than in Europe, as long as you stay in mid-range or better ones (which are still more than affordable, and to be fair, even budget hotels are usually clean) and avoid cheapest hostels/guesthouses, food hygiene is not an issue either, even street food, as long as you're sensible. Most of the locals have impeccable personal hygiene; in fact, the dirtiest people by far  I've seen here were either backpackers or filthy expats - not surprising really, considering that here you ARE being judged on how you look and dress. In the 70s/80s Thailand (and some other countries in the region) even used to turn hippies down and deny entry to anyone with a "dirty-looking" appearance; safe to say, most of the alladin pants-top tank-flip flops wearing crowd would not have even made it into the country back then, haha... The biggest bane of the region is damn plastic bags and styrofoam containers though, ban those and the amount of rubbish will go down by at least two thirds...

7 hours ago, Spike said:

I will never understand how people can say 'Australian and New Zealand lack culture'. What the hey? Are we some blank-state robots that have nothing individualistic or unique to our nations? Indigenous Australians have a very interesting mythology and history but there are some huge reasons to why it has evaporated throughout time. It is oral tradition, just like many ancient people of antiquity, it has been lost through the shifting tides of culture and language, I'd bet $5 that if Australia remained untouched those oral stories would have transformed hugely since the days of colonisation; just because people tend to embellish repeated stories, who knows how much culture and tradition is lost when it is oral? Many traditions aren't shared; Indigenous Australians are separated into over two-hundred language groups, just like Native-North Americans, there is a huge discrepancy between Indigenous-Australians of South-West Queensland and those from the Perth area.  A huge lack of interest in Indigenous youth; from what I saw growing up; many kids identified with 'Gangsta Rap' and Black-America than bands like Yothu-Yindi and Warumpi Band. And of course, colonisation; can't forget that big one. @Toinho you say that Australians haven't embraced Indigenous culture like the Kiwis have, and that is true; Australia hasn't and it's taken a drastic measure for yourself to have exposure to Indigenous culture; you can blame the framework of our society all you like for that but ultimately you could have engaged in Indigenous culture at any time, right? Sadly enough, Indigenous culture these days, isn't all 'Rainbow Snake' and 'Min-Min Lights', it's soaking a rag in petrol and huffing it. The cycle of poverty has it's firm grasp on the Indigenous people of Australia, and many live in relative poverty, and the average Skippy and F.O.B. Australian family doesn't know this because: they don't live or visit rural Australia, it isn't reported on the news, and to most people Australia is three cities. I'm sure you'd love to hear my stories and anecdotes on school in rural Australia and relationships between black fellas, white fellas, and half-castes, given you are a teacher, which ultimately is a shame because I'm from the east and you are from the west, so we'll probably never meet. Many rural towns are dead-ends that never really give many Indigenous Australians a chance to shine, and when they move away from their family they are in an alien society, their shibboleths make them stand out and appear 'idiotic'. Not to mention there are huge tax cuts to many programs tailored for the Indigenous communities, and rural Australia. The country outside of the big cities is 'no-mans land' so no wonder most people don't give a toss about them, and why would they? Why would they care about some backwater town in the middle of the desert with methamphetamine problems? I'm twenty-four and every now and then I see kids that I went to school with for over a decade have killed themselves. Kids are jail birds, drug-addicts, etc.

People can say that Australian history isn't a particularly pretty history, but it is an INHERITED history from the British. We are, ultimately a product of the 'glorious' British Empire. The 'Australian' identity didn't exist in 1800 when Hawkesbury and Nepean Wars occurred, that was the British. Yes, Australia has done horrible things; like the 'Stolen Generation' but our compliance in everything is just a product of what 'Australia' is: a remote British colony that developed it's own identity and culture over the last two hundred plus years. So I'll be fucked if I take lip from a Yank or a Brit about Australia's history and culture; when there's is same-same but different. Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe...amongst others is Britain's legacy on the world. 

Colonialism isn't something we're often educated about at schools, not the bad parts anyway. Which is why the average person is ignorant towards the indigenous as a people, no cowboy and indian type films to educate us either :|

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Wouldn't let me add to that quote for some reason. I take a little offence to the fact i could've experienced Indigenous culture at any time? I disagree to an extent and I don't know any young person who would actively try seek out indigenous culture and society - and that's a massive shame and perhaps your point. Even thinking now - I would be at a loss to think of somewhere or something I could've done from my hometown. Even where I am now I don't classify the locals as "true aborigines" when it comes to culture and tradition. Where you grew up sounds like a traditional and culturally respectful place. Where I am now and around Perth, it's hardly that. The more rural and north you go - it's easier to mix and seek the culture out if that is what you desired. I would love to all about your experiences though, and excuse the following...almost all of my experiences as a child and a young adult in terms of indigenous peoples were very negative and I avoided "getting my head kicked in" numerous times because I happened to be on the same bus I was somehow a target. It wasn't until I got older I met others who don't fit that terrible stereotype. We can only judge from our own experiences. As I have gotten older I am definitely not of the train of thought I might of been at age 18 when I was getting threatened due to saying I don't have a cigarette or no change. This is what we have done to our native people. We need to do more to bridge this gap.

Anyway, yes @nudge you make great and valid points. Perhaps I will rephrase to "a city in south East Asia"! I also enjoy drinking water from a tap though! Saves plastic. 

4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Wouldn't let me add to that quote for some reason. I take a little offence to the fact i could've experienced Indigenous culture at any time? I disagree, it's not the normal thought process here is it? I don't know any young person who would actively try seek out indigenous culture and society - and that's a massive shame. Even thinking now - I would be at a loss to think of somewhere or something I could've done from my hometown. Even where I am now I don't classify the locals as "true aborigines". Where you grew up sounds like a traditional and culturally respectful place. Where I am now and around Perth, it's hardly that. The more rural and north you go - it's easier to mix and seek the culture out if that is what you desired. Unfortunately almost all of my experiences as a child and a young adult in terms of indigenous peoples were very negative and I avoided "getting my head kicked in" numerous times because I happened to be on the same bus I was somehow a target. It wasn't until I got older I met others who don't fit that terrible stereotype. We can only judge from our own experiences. As I have gotten older I am definitely not of the train of thought I might of been at age 18 when I was getting threatened due to saying I don't have a cigarette or no change. This is what we have done to our native people. We need to do more to bridge this gap.

Anyway, yes @nudge you make great and valid points. Perhaps I will rephrase to "a city in south East Asia"! I also enjoy drinking water from a tap though! Saves plastic. 

What a benign thing to be offended by, it could have been as simple as picking up a book at library, that literature does exist. Or hell, I remember dozens if programs on  daytime ABC that illustrate the culture and life of some Indigenous Australians. It would be a normal thought process if people cared about the history if the country, which they don't, most couldnt name many Prime Ministers beyond Gough Whitlam John Howard.  That is a pretty darn elitist thing to say. 'True aborignies'? What does that even mean? Dancing around a fire with a lap lap and didgereedo? I don't underrstand. Traditional and respectful? Maybe more of the former and less of the later, but only through the virtue of it existing was there a tradtion.

Yeah well, I got threatened at twelve, for the same thing at school, every day for over a year.

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

What a benign thing to be offended by, it could have been as simple as picking up a book at library, that literature does exist. Or hell, I remember dozens if programs on  daytime ABC that illustrate the culture and life of some Indigenous Australians. It would be a normal thought process if people cared about the history if the country, which they don't, most couldnt name many Prime Ministers beyond Gough Whitlam John Howard.  That is a pretty darn elitist thing to say. 'True aborignies'? What does that even mean? Dancing around a fire with a lap lap and didgereedo? I don't underrstand. Traditional and respectful? Maybe more of the former and less of the later, but only through the virtue of it existing was there a tradtion.

Yeah well, I got threatened at twelve, for the same thing at school, every day for over a year.

Meant from my state of mind as a kid or teenager. I took your comments as actually physically engaging with aboriginal culture not reading literature or watching tv(daytime tv got no idea - I didn't watch much tv growing up and was always at school/playing sport every day - not an excuse, a reality). I got a little education at high school. My school libraries had fuck all. Times are changing though. I watched the aboriginal documentary I was actually an extra in for a renactment scene last night. Riveting stuff! 

You're very sensitive when it comes to this topic - I understand that. I am not meaning to offend. I am telling you how it is as I perceive a "regular white city guy at school" would think. Something you're not aware of(?). Just like I am not aware of growing up in the areas you did. I am not saying my actions are right but just how it unfortunately is. We need to change. It honestly would be very fascinating to talk to you about your experiences. 

"True aborigines" whilst not my proudest description, in my own broad definition would be those who respect and know their own culture. Outside of quite rural and remote areas would they know about their culture? But yeh again  Those in my town, and all surrounding towns, don't even know their own history or culture. They know almost nothing, it's a shame. We have a language class for all our students - and that's aweaome. Also, our curriculum nationwide now has many links to indigenous cultures, even whole professional standards for teachers focus on aboriginal students and how they learn. That's a step in the right direction. We are accountable for exposing our students to different cultures and learning to understand a whole range of aspects. Anyway, I think we are all getting a little off topic. I would like to live abroad again one day! 

4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Meant from my state of mind as a kid or teenager. I took your comments as actually physically engaging with aboriginal culture not reading literature or watching tv(daytime tv got no idea - I didn't watch much tv growing up and was always at school/playing sport every day - not an excuse, a reality). I got a little education at high school. My school libraries had fuck all. Times are changing though. I watched the aboriginal documentary I was actually an extra in for a renactment scene last night. Riveting stuff! 

You're very sensitive when it comes to this topic - I understand that. I am not meaning to offend. I am telling you how it is as I perceive a "regular white city guy at school" would think. Something you're not aware of(?). Just like I am not aware of growing up in the areas you did. I am not saying my actions are right but just how it unfortunately is. We need to change. It honestly would be very fascinating to talk to you about your experiences. 

"True aborigines" whilst not my proudest description, in my own broad definition would be those who respect and know their own culture. Outside of quite rural and remote areas would they know about their culture? But yeh again  Those in my town, and all surrounding towns, don't even know their own history or culture. They know almost nothing, it's a shame. We have a language class for all our students - and that's aweaome. Also, our curriculum nationwide now has many links to indigenous cultures, even whole professional standards for teachers focus on aboriginal students and how they learn. That's a step in the right direction. We are accountable for exposing our students to different cultures and learning to understand a whole range of aspects. Anyway, I think we are all getting a little off topic. I would like to live abroad again one day! 

Using that definition there'd probably be less than a thousand in Australia!

19 hours ago, Toinho said:

South east Asia is far too dirty and mad for me to consider living there. Great for a few weeks of holidaying though! 

no !!!!   never come to my region.   especially in my country the philippines.

me, i want to live in japan.   my cousin is already there for about 10 years now, i'll follow him soon enough.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, bozziovai said:

me, i want to live in japan.   my cousin is already there for about 10 years now, i'll follow him soon enough.

@Toinho 

Tarragona, that's a nice day trip from Barcelona, as is Sant Vicenc de Montalt, Vilanova i la Geltru and numerous others. @The Rebel CRS

Folks, I've come to the realization that I'm a city person through and through. While I enjoy venturing out to the little towns and villages I can never live too far from a major city. Cities energize me. I'm not the youngest member of the forum but am not the oldest either. I need the dynamic nature of cities as stimulation.

Take Barcelona, for example. Living in the Barcelona hills would be ideal (I do need peace and quiet), not too far from the city proper/city centre, so to speak,. 20-25 mins drive away. The specific neighborhood I have in mind would be only a 7-13 min drive to the Camp Nou.

That's the funny thing about all this: proximity to the stadium wasn't a priority in this consideration (peace and quiet absolutely is). When you pick a city to live for quality of life etc., sports is not that big of a consideration, all things considered. 

Being that close to the Camp Nou is absolutely a bonus though!!

Incidentally, one of my favorite places in all of Barcelona is the Bunkers del Carmel (about 18 mins away). One of the best panoramic Barcelona vistas of them all.

On 28/03/2018 at 19:30, Paulo Dybala said:

Tarragona, that's a nice day trip from Barcelona, as is Sant Vicenc de Montalt, Vilanova i la Geltru and numerous others. @The Rebel CRS

That's why it's another plus mate, you could visit other cities/towns like that and it would only be a train ride of just over an hour or so. You could wake up one morning when you have nothing planned and just go there at a moments notice.

On 29/03/2018 at 02:27, bozziovai said:

Where in Japan? Why? Many, many Fillipinos/Fillipinas live there these days. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like living in San Diego, so I'll say San Diego.

The weather is good most of the year. We had some rain last month and it was slightly cooler, but the weather was still good most of the month and it being a bit colder was nice because we had a really hot autumn/winter for some reason. There's a lot of beaches, there's lots of good food, it's got an urban area that's very fun but if you get tired of being in the city too much you can drive out to the north east of the county to Escondido where there's the San Diego Safari Park (sister zoo to the excellent San Diego Zoo, with a lot more space for the animals and some great views, a shitload of state/federal parks with great hiking trails, great roads for driving with these beautiful hills & valleys; and places like Ramona and Julian that make me feel like I'm in the wild west.

The only cons I really have are I wish everything was cheaper because things being expensive is shite. But it's cheaper than the SF Bay Area. Or London.  And my family is far away, which is also shite. But it's a great place to live.

Archived