talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

If You Could Live Anywhere in the World, Where Would it Be And Why?

football forum

Just now, Stan said:

it's 20 reactions allowed per day per member so there's no set time you'll get them back. Just whenever that time ticks over as I think it's done on a continuously over a 24 hour period.

Ah gotcha. Didn't know this. Thanks for informing.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Wasn't there an English fella that commuted back and forth between Barcelona and London. Lived in Barcelona, worked in London. Still found it more affordable than living in London. Higher quality of life too.

My ex was from London and said years ago she seriously looked at moving to either Leicester or Birmingham as the commuting was only an hour each way and even despite the train prices it was cheaper doing that than living in London. Barcelona would be totally excessive if you ask me but I could see why someone would do either of those things I mentioned.

Barcelona is a good city. I liked it there as well. Rated both Barcelona and Madrid highly.

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

My ex was from London and said years ago she seriously looked at moving to either Leicester or Birmingham as the commuting was only an hour each way and even despite the train prices it was cheaper doing that than living in London. Barcelona would be totally excessive if you ask me but I could see why someone would do either of those things I mentioned.

Barcelona is a good city. I liked it there as well. Rated both Barcelona and Madrid highly.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/longest-commute-ever?utm_term=.om7ELBX94#.tcLKRZy15

• Administrator

one place I can't believe I forgot to mention where I would consider living is South Africa (I think it was seeing @The Rebel CRS's pictures of crocodiles and @Dr. Gonzo's post in the Materialistic thread about zoo tickets which jogged my memory).ย 

I had one of the best holidays ever in my lifetime there. Apart from Magaluf (which was everything you expect from there), I'd never been abroad without at least one member of my family joining). South Africa was the first time - 2 weeks away of sheer exploration and adventure from Durban to Heidelberg to Lanseria toย Nelspruit (Kruger Park) and then back to Durban. Drove from start to finish and the scenery on the roads was nothing short of stunning. Fully enjoyed driving a pick-up truck on the roads there, let alone through townships xD.ย 

One thing I loved about SA was how cheap the food and drink was. I remember we (3 of us) went on a night out, went to a pub in the middle of the city centre, ended up having about 4 or 5 beers, a few shots, some spirts and mixers. All in all came to a grand total of about ยฃ20. Found an upmarket hotel which had a restaurant where public could eat, had a 3-course meal and one of my mates had a steak dinner. In this country you're looking at about ยฃ20 just for one course? In SA, each of us only paid about ยฃ10. Mind-blowingly cheap.ย 

Lanseria and Heidelberg were phenonemal places to see some animals and wildlife, let alone Kruger Park. @Bluewolfย mentioned Black Panthers. We got to see baby black leopards in Lanseria which are apparently super rare to find, let alone interact with. Also got to see one of the world's largest crocodiles (aptly named Hannibal) but I think that was in Tongaat near Durban.ย 

This is Hannibal

IMAG0790.jpg

Scenic roads and views:

IMAG0830.jpg

IMAG0835.jpg

IMAG0839.jpg

ย 

A wildlife park near Heidelberg which had baby lions, the black leopards, white tigers and cheetahs
IMAG0896.jpgIMAG0881.jpgIMAG0910.jpgIMAG0933~01.jpgIMAG0952.jpg

ย 

I would happily go back there regularly if I had the chance or was living nearby. Got loads of other pictures of the animals at Kruger Park but they can be for another day!

• Administrator

forgot to add these pictures. never for one second in my life before this moment did I think I could wander about in a crocodile's territory without being chased or killed!!

IMAG0744.jpg
that's my mate, not me, with the stick in the background!)ย 
IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0754.jpg
IMAG0759.jpg
IMAG0762.jpg
IMAG0768.jpg
IMAG0776.jpg
ย 

Re

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

one place I can't believe I forgot to mention where I would consider living is South Africa (I think it was seeing @The Rebel CRS's pictures of crocodiles and @Dr. Gonzo's post in the Materialistic thread about zoo tickets which jogged my memory).ย 

I had one of the best holidays ever in my lifetime there. Apart from Magaluf (which was everything you expect from there), I'd never been abroad without at least one member of my family joining). South Africa was the first time - 2 weeks away of sheer exploration and adventure from Durban to Heidelberg to Lanseria toย Nelspruit (Kruger Park) and then back to Durban. Drove from start to finish and the scenery on the roads was nothing short of stunning. Fully enjoyed driving a pick-up truck on the roads there, let alone through townships xD.ย 

One thing I loved about SA was how cheap the food and drink was. I remember we (3 of us) went on a night out, went to a pub in the middle of the city centre, ended up having about 4 or 5 beers, a few shots, some spirts and mixers. All in all came to a grand total of about ยฃ20. Found an upmarket hotel which had a restaurant where public could eat, had a 3-course meal and one of my mates had a steak dinner. In this country you're looking at about ยฃ20 just for one course? In SA, each of us only paid about ยฃ10. Mind-blowingly cheap.ย 

Lanseria and Heidelberg were phenonemal places to see some animals and wildlife, let alone Kruger Park. @Bluewolfย mentioned Black Panthers. We got to see baby black leopards in Lanseria which are apparently super rare to find, let alone interact with. Also got to see one of the world's largest crocodiles (aptly named Hannibal) but I think that was in Tongaat near Durban.ย 

This is Hannibal

IMAG0790.jpg

Scenic roads and views:

IMAG0830.jpg

IMAG0835.jpg

IMAG0839.jpg

ย 

A wildlife park near Heidelberg which had baby lions, the black leopards, white tigers and cheetahs
IMAG0896.jpgIMAG0881.jpgIMAG0910.jpgIMAG0933~01.jpgIMAG0952.jpg

ย 

I would happily go back there regularly if I had the chance or was living nearby. Got loads of other pictures of the animals at Kruger Park but they can be for another day!

Regular wildlife thread this is turning out to be :Dย Thanks for sharing!

1 minute ago, Stan said:

forgot to add these pictures. never for one second in my life before this moment did I think I could wander about in a crocodile's territory without being chased or killed!!

IMAG0744.jpg
that's my mate, not me, with the stick in the background!)ย 
IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0754.jpg
IMAG0759.jpg
IMAG0762.jpg
IMAG0768.jpg
IMAG0776.jpg
ย 

Dang! These are some pretty sweet pics

• Administrator
Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

ย 

Not a good idea to show your back to lions mate xD

mate, I learnt that lesson with the baby tigers.

These lions were fine as they were baby ones and I think they'd just woken from their slumber. But with the tigers (the picture above the cheetah where it's perched up looking at the camera), we went in their enclosure and I knelt down to get the attention of one, which I did. Then it's brother came leaping up on my back xDxD. I'd say I was scared but I think it was just adrenaline of being so close to such beautiful creatures which somehow made me not freak out or go mental xD)ย 

• Administrator
Just now, Paulo Dybala said:

How fast do those things lumber/run/scamper?

seriously quick. we saw a few dart back in to the water in lightning speed but I think they'd got used to seeing humans wonder about (plus the guy that looks after them, the one holding the stick to one of the crocs' mouths, was always with us and the crocs obviously recognise him as the boss, so to speak). Not once did one of them come towards us to attack us.ย 

10 hours ago, nudge said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion here, but I personally prefer living in developing countries - given that I have enough resources of course though, as living as an average local is often very much about survival, so not much fun in that. There are various reasons, such as more personal freedom, less rules, a certain degree of roughness and wildness,ย less boredom of getting stuck in a routine and more experiences and challenges to satisfy one's curiosity, but one of the biggest things that reallyย fascinates me is watching a country grow and see things change almost on a daily basis, some for better and some for worse;ย it's unbelievable, like living out a history book haha.ย 

I'm exactly like you in this regard Nudge. Nothing like avoiding a fine for drunkdriving with a couple bucks and putting loud as fuck music in your car without anybody stopping you. Also you wouldn't feel like the king of the world by showing with a supercar in a developed country as opposed to doing it in a developing one. :P

3 minutes ago, Berserker said:

I'm exactly like you in this regard Nudge. Nothing like avoiding a fine for drunkdriving with a couple bucks and putting loud as fuck music in your car without anybody stopping you. Also you wouldn't feel like the king of the world by showing with a supercar in a developed country as opposed to doing it in a developing one. :P

lol that's right. in many developing countries bribes are just part of normal every day living. You get that in "First World Countries" too, just not as overtly and prevalent.

Loads of rules and regulations in developed nations. Lotsa red-tape. In some ways, you can get more things done in developing countries. Having connections is key.

Copenhagen: beautiful city, laid back culture, lovely (and damn good-looking)ย people, good football town, loads of art and music, excellent pubs and nightlife, and an amazing society to raise a kid in.ย 

Oh and you can cycle from one end of the city to the other without getting killed.

21 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Copenhagen: beautiful city, laid back culture, lovely (and damn good-looking)ย people, good football town, loads of art and music, excellent pubs and nightlife, and an amazing society to raise a kid in.ย 

Oh and you can cycle from one end of the city to the other without getting killed.

Cheers @Inverted. Yes, Scandinavian women are some of the best looking in the world. No argument there.

Copenhagen, along with Vienna,ย  Zurich and Geneva consistently rankย highly in well-beingย and qualityย of livingย indexes and surveys in Europe with good reason.

Regards to my Mediterranean comment, Barcelona wouldn't be bad. But, a Greek island such as Mykonos or on the east coast of Italy like Rimini would be interesting!

At the same time though, like Harvey, would be interested in apartment life in London,NY or Tokyo. Again, assuming I had a good income and could afford it.

One place that gave me an exceptional vibe was Salzburg though.

ย 

I always dreamt of living the pacific northwestvof the US, namely Oregon. Its such a beautiful place, and ive heard the people there are very laid back. Denver would be great if I'm living in a city.ย 

Copenhagen would also be amazing....if you have a mint.

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

Regards to my Mediterranean comment, Barcelona wouldn't be bad. But, a Greek island such as Mykonos or on the east coast of Italy like Rimini would be interesting!

At the same time though, like Harvey, would be interested in apartment life in London,NY or Tokyo. Again, assuming I had a good income and could afford it.

One place that gave me an exceptional vibe was Salzburg though.

ย 

Hear good things about Salzburg yes.ย 

The great thing about the Greek islands is that each offers different things so you can live on one and island hop the others.

2 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

I always dreamt of living the pacific northwestvof the US, namely Oregon. Its such a beautiful place, and ive heard the people there are very laid back. Denver would be great if I'm living in a city.ย 

Copenhagen would also be amazing....if you have a mint.

Never been to Oregon but I have Seattle. Wouldn't mind living there. Not the best weather mind but I do like the lifestyle and vibe.

I always have the feeling that I wouldn't like living in the Med, as nice as it is to visit places like Sicily, Barcelona, etc.

I think I like a Northern vibe, the furthest south I could live for a long time would probably be like Milan.

Just now, Inverted said:

I always have the feeling that I wouldn't like living in the Med, as nice as it is to visit places like Sicily, Barcelona, etc. I think I like a Northern vibe, the furthest south I could live for a long time would probably be like Milan.

It's interesting you should mention that, @Inverted. The whole "Northern European" vs "Southern European" vibe and mentality. I get it. You probably would like the Netherlands then.

Haven't been to (so this would be a full cultural immersion if one were to live there for a bit) the Silk Road but I've always had a fascination with places like Samarkand and other places along the route. Love all lamb/goat cuisines and dishes and I reckon they know how to cook it right, like the Arabs, Ozzies, Kiwis and South Asians.

Archived