talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thomas Tuchel to PSG almost done

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's obviously a journalist taking the mick and he never said that. I can't bring myself to believe he would say something so dumb.  Actually.... Hmmmmm...  Naaaah.... This is too dumb.  I can't believe it.

It was on tv in bein sport

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Wenger is a lifer... anything outside of Arsenal will scare the crap out of him

We can add earning £10m+ a year for not really being demanded todo much from him to the equation mate.

Never has mediocrity been so well paid for than in today's society.

27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

We can add earning £10m+ a year for not really being demanded todo much from him to the equation mate.

Never has mediocrity been so well paid for than in today's society.

The Arsenal/Wenger situation has always been a bit of a puzzle it has to be said... In some respects you could applaud Arsenal for sticking by him after all these years even though it's obvious that bit by bit Arsenal have declined but then he fits their model really well, He is non demanding, doesn't buy into huge transfer fees for players and gives youth a chance to shine as well as playing attractive flowing football where possible.. The results and Silverware however have been sparse and inconsistent and more a frustration for the fans than the club it would seem...  

Rumors PSG and Conte have already had talks. Still think it's unlikely as Conte seems adament in going back to Italy or to manage the national side. 

Tuchel to Chelsea would be a massive statement from the club in which direction we plan on going. 

• Subscriber

Im actually pretty gutted about the news over the weekend, If the reports are true; Uli has shat all over the bed on this one. Tuchel was my number 1 want, I think he would be excellent fit at Arsenal or Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Rumors PSG and Conte have already had talks. Still think it's unlikely as Conte seems adament in going back to Italy or to manage the national side. 

Tuchel to Chelsea would be a massive statement from the club in which direction we plan on going. 

Chelsea is the most likely destination. Tuchel's knows where he wants to go for a while, so Tottenham and Real Madrid very unlikely. Arsenal is unlikely because they singed Mislintat. PSG in unlikely because he's not the best manager for PSG.

7 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Didn't Arsenal's new chief scout only leave Dortmund because of Tuchel?

Apparently (whatever that means) Mislintat has said he's willing to bury the hatchet if Arsenal want to go for Tuchel. 

• Administrator

Firstly, he’s not going to Arsenal. He’s met with PSG representatives, he speaks good French, his wife even better French. Secondly from what I know nothing has emerged From Conte’s talks with PSG. Tuchel has already agreed a deal with another club this much is known for sure, PSG or Chelsea to me. I dread the prospect of it being the former. 

22 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

If true Conte should well and truly sabotage Chelsea’s season. Really is poor how they treat their managers. 

Erm, why?

I'm not the biggest fan of our board, but it's clear his intentions was to see out the season (hence why he didn't extend his contract, merely improved terms) 

What are we supposed to do? Not look for a manager when it's evident Conte doesn't want to stay? 

10 hours ago, Batard said:

Firstly, he’s not going to Arsenal. He’s met with PSG representatives, he speaks good French, his wife even better French. Secondly from what I know nothing has emerged From Conte’s talks with PSG. Tuchel has already agreed a deal with another club this much is known for sure, PSG or Chelsea to me. I dread the prospect of it being the former. 

Really? How do you know that?

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Erm, why?

I'm not the biggest fan of our board, but it's clear his intentions was to see out the season (hence why he didn't extend his contract, merely improved terms) 

What are we supposed to do? Not look for a manager when it's evident Conte doesn't want to stay? 

I’m wondering why Conte doesn’t want to stay? 

13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He was given the role as head coach, not manager. He wants more power and say in transfers. He's also criticised the board for lacking ambition, to which I agree. 

However, aside from our board acting like dickheads in the transfer market, Conte knew what role he was getting when he signed on. Also doesn't bold well when you claim the board lack ambition yet continue to play with 5 defenders and a false 9 when we have strikers available. It's the board who lack ambition when you think a 1-0 defeat to City is a good result...

Best for Conte to leave on a high (Hypothetically a top 4 finish and an FA Cup) and rejoin the national side. They need him more than we do. Conte, on a coaching aspect, is the best we've had in recent memory. 

I'm always adament in claiming the cycle with managers will continue so long our board continue to behave the way they do, however with an attacking minded manager, maybe things will change and give this club a new direction. 

Tuchel apparently met with the club representatives, to which they were impressed. 

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I don't think any manager takes the Chelsea job expecting to stay the whole contract, or to last a long time necessarily. It's a chance to take a strong side that's got money to spend to the try to steal a cup or win a league and pad your resume and get a payoff when you get the sack.

They would have to be complete morons to not understand that the expectation is massive and to not consider that Abramovich and his board do not have much patience. And a manager that loses the players is easier to replace than the players themselves, which is why I think you sometimes see Chelsea managers look doomed in a run of poor form when the players seem to give less of a fuck.

I don't blame clubs for talking to managers behind their current manager's back when you know the manager will be relieved of their duties in the near future. When we sacked Rodgers for Klopp basically as soon as Klopp's sabbatical was over... you can't seriously think we weren't talking to him. We must have been, considering the timing of everything. And Rodgers was the manager then. But I do think Conte deserves better than having this story leaked to the press, he did win them a fucking title last season. And for most clubs, that would afford that manager some leniency after a big dip in form. Though Leicester and Chelsea's boards would probably say "fuck leniency" lol.

But there's nothing wrong with a club looking for a new manager when they know they're going to need a new manager. If you're going to sack someone who's got an important job, it is literally your job to have at least a few names of people that you know will take that job - and it's normal to sound out those people to confirm if they're going to want that job.

I don't think Chelsea's policy of chopping and changing managers is healthy for them long term, and the way they've reeled their spending in to a degree indicates they want to operate more healthily. I think a big part of the problem at Chelsea is the culture of being able to let heads drop when it looks like a manager might have his head on the block. They really are like a team of elite mercenaries who can turn on their commander and have a new one brought in - because it's just easier to deal with for Chelsea than bringing in a new manager.

But I think the downside there is, it's a sort of unhealthy environment to develop a football team. There's the need for immediate pressure, so managers are less inclined to take risks and play expansive football, or develop a long term project involving promoting younger players from the academy. The risk of failure is the risk of your job and possible damage to your reputation as a manager. If you want expansive football and you want to see young and exciting players given a chance, the manager needs to be able to be less afraid of the chance of failure. They need to know that if a kid makes a mistake and Messi scores a goal that leads to them tumbling out of the Champions League in a less than successful domestic season (when you previously won the league), that won't be the end of his chance be the manager developing that kid for Chelsea.

There is most likely a balance between Chelsea's method of getting rid of a manager the moment his luck gets a bit shit, and Arsenal's everlasting and unwavering faith and refusal to listen to the pleas of exasperated fans over the last few years.... somewhere between those two extremes... where big clubs can best turn their backs on their managers.

Archived