• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

UEFA Competitions to have 4th Sub

Recommended Posts

football forum

Changes in football can be taken badly, but I actually don't mind the 4th sub. As long as its only in extra time, it makes sense to do so as the players are tired and there needs to be 1 more sub for what is technically another part of the match. It also allows tactical flexibility which means we could see a super sub come on and win the game, or another Krul-Cillesen situation vs Costa Rica in 2014 for penalties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

waste of a rule change.    

what's the longest extra time in recent events ?? 5 minutes ??   most common is 1 to 2 minutes.   what can that fresh player do to influence the game.   

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

waste of a rule change.    

what's the longest extra time in recent events ?? 5 minutes ??   most common is 1 to 2 minutes.   what can that fresh player do to influence the game.   

Extra time as in extra time of 2 additional half times of 15 minutes each, not the few minutes of stoppage time :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should always scrape the away goal rule in extra time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Extra time as in extra time of 2 additional half times of 15 minutes each, not the few minutes of stoppage time :P 

i see.   thanks for the correction.

 

i agree with @Asura  the away goals rule should be abolished and go for the Golden Goal in the knock out stages or in the Finals itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Asura said:

They should always scrape the away goal rule in extra time. 

I'd rather they just scrap Away Goals completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

i see.   thanks for the correction.

 

i agree with @Asura  the away goals rule should be abolished and go for the Golden Goal in the knock out stages or in the Finals itself.

nope! Hate Golden Goal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Nothing gayer than golden goal. 

not even shaped eyebrows and glossy lips of cristiano in an underwear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Transfers in January can now be eligible to play. No longer cup tied. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43555381

This one is the most vile of the rules to me. Imagine a scenario where you're out of the group stages and into the knock-out rounds and you have sold a player to a team you're meeting next. This effectively borderlines on allowing teams to cripple other teams just to advance? I know that's not the true intention here but it can and will eventually happen.

As for the 4th sub it ruins the nature of being tactical. So what if your players are tired that's really a teams fault for not being smart about substitutions and when to use them. Totally asinine from UEFA and nothing short of what to expect from them either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4th substitution in extra time is a good idea. Players no longer being cup tied (for the most part) is also a good idea although they maybe could've made it so that the player's previous club would have to be out of the competition as well but overall, I'm for the rule change.

I also agree that the away goals rule needs to be binned especially during extra time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sensible changes,  but hopefully in the next few years we'll see a push to scrap away goals.

With the way the game is going we're seeing home advantage disappear in European knockouts, so away goals leads more often to weird and unfair results. No manager in touch with the modern game parks the pus away from home in big games anyway, so the rule doesn't really seem to serve much purpose.

The justification for it made sense at the beginning, but times have changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not having this hatred for the away goals rule. It makes for some incredible moments where the whole tie changes in a single moment. There are countless others, but the one that sticks out for me is Lovren's winner against Dortmund a few years ago. It does skew the tie in favour of the away side if the second leg goes to extra time, but  the team that plays the second leg at home would be favoured if there was no away goals rule in extra time, so there's no avoiding one team having an advantage.

On 3/30/2018 at 15:32, Inverted said:

Sensible changes,  but hopefully in the next few years we'll see a push to scrap away goals.

With the way the game is going we're seeing home advantage disappear in European knockouts, so away goals leads more often to weird and unfair results. No manager in touch with the modern game parks the pus away from home in big games anyway, so the rule doesn't really seem to serve much purpose.

The justification for it made sense at the beginning, but times have changed.

I'd argue that is the rule serving its purpose. There's an incentive to attack away from home, so they do. I can think of several managers who would park the bus away from home if that incentive was removed.

Edited by Burning Gold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Away goals is a good rule, it's when it spills into extra time that it becomes a farce.

This. There's no advantage if both teams have 90 minutes to take advantage of the away goal rule. Then take it away for extra time.

I can't remember which tournament it was that said away goals don't count after 90 minutes but do come into play at the end of extra time. Wtf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This. There's no advantage if both teams have 90 minutes to take advantage of the away goal rule. Then take it away for extra time.

I can't remember which tournament it was that said away goals don't count after 90 minutes but do come into play at the end of extra time. Wtf. 

League Cup semi finals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement