• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Should Arsenal Give Youth a Chance?

Recommended Posts

Arsenal are 13 points behind fourth-placed Tottenham in the Premier League, leaving Europa League success as their only realistic hope of earning a Champions League spot for next season.

Ainsley Maintland-Niles has been the flag-bearer for Arsenal's academy this season, but in Reiss Nelson, Eddie Nketiah and Joe Willock, there are three more rising stars in the frame. 

So should Wenger prioritise youth domestically?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we're not in a luxurious position to do this although clubs of the past have changed their fortunes by betting on Homegrown youth.

I will add this though, Maintland-Niles is extremely overrated for me. Absolute overinflated average stuff by the press and the product institution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think any players that don't look arsed should probably be dropped and their place should be contested by a kid. The chance for a kid to get into the first team at Arsenal should be a huge motivator for any kid that's on the cusp of making the step up, all they'd have to do then is prove themselves. And having young and hungry players on the pitch rather than players that get their head up might be just generally be better for the mood at Arsenal. From the fans, the other players, and even Wenger. Really, anything to stop the general toxic atmosphere that's developed in Arsenal's recent slump.

If the atmosphere stays pretty shite and the kids come in and have a bad game... I don't think that'll do them any good. So it's also a bit of a risk, because if it backfires and the mood stays bad then Wenger's going to be branded as having lost the plot for playing kids. And it'll be shit if the kids get fans on their back if they don't immediately perform, because that's generally not how young players do (although you never really know until you give them a shot).

I definitely think it's worth trying, but I'm also not the person who's putting their professional reputation on the line to make that sort of decision. It's a pretty rough spot for Wenger to be in (although he's obviously played a part in getting Arsenal to where they are now). I really like Wenger, tbh, and I think he's a legend even if he's said some fucking ridiculous things from time to time. I hope he can turn it around and end his tenure at Arsenal on a high note. It'd be a bit sad if he goes out with a whimper. Although, I don't think he's going to go out quite as sadly as this other legend: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2007/jan/07/features.sport10

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think any players that don't look arsed should probably be dropped and their place should be contested by a kid. The chance for a kid to get into the first team at Arsenal should be a huge motivator for any kid that's on the cusp of making the step up, all they'd have to do then is prove themselves. And having young and hungry players on the pitch rather than players that get their head up might be just generally be better for the mood at Arsenal. From the fans, the other players, and even Wenger. Really, anything to stop the general toxic atmosphere that's developed in Arsenal's recent slump.

If the atmosphere stays pretty shite and the kids come in and have a bad game... I don't think that'll do them any good. So it's also a bit of a risk, because if it backfires and the mood stays bad then Wenger's going to be branded as having lost the plot for playing kids. And it'll be shit if the kids get fans on their back if they don't immediately perform, because that's generally not how young players do (although you never really know until you give them a shot).

I definitely think it's worth trying, but I'm also not the person who's putting their professional reputation on the line to make that sort of decision. It's a pretty rough spot for Wenger to be in (although he's obviously played a part in getting Arsenal to where they are now). I really like Wenger, tbh, and I think he's a legend even if he's said some fucking ridiculous things from time to time. I hope he can turn it around and end his tenure at Arsenal on a high note. It'd be a bit sad if he goes out with a whimper. Although, I don't think he's going to go out quite as sadly as this other legend: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2007/jan/07/features.sport10

Great post!

One thing that doesn't happen anywhere in the world is fans turning on young kids coming through the club ranks.  It would go a long way to eradicating the acidic atmosphere we have at The Emirates these days.  I for one would love it and wouldn't even look at the results (they're shit as it is anyway with these mollycoddled donkeys)... I personally don't think we're in a confident position to do something like that but were it to happen I'd love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arsenal's youth is pretty poor and some of these players are vastly overrated who are getting games,  that is why some fans are so eager to keep hold of Jack as he is only the decent player of times that is part of Arsenal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Great post!

One thing that doesn't happen anywhere in the world is fans turning on young kids coming through the club ranks.  It would go a long way to eradicating the acidic atmosphere we have at The Emirates these days.  I for one would love it and wouldn't even look at the results (they're shit as it is anyway with these mollycoddled donkeys)... I personally don't think we're in a confident position to do something like that but were it to happen I'd love it.

you know it wouldn't take Arsenal fans too long!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

you know it wouldn't take Arsenal fans too long!

I doubt that as there is no history of it at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I doubt that as there is no history of it at all.

let's see how long it takes the knobheads on the Arsenal Fan TV channel to do it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan said:

let's see how long it takes the knobheads on the Arsenal Fan TV channel to do it...

Yeah but that's not all Arsenal fans mate.  What percentage of the fans are those that have protagonism on that medium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SirBalon said:

Yeah but that's not all Arsenal fans mate.  What percentage of the fans are those that have protagonism on that medium?

I didn't say it'd be all Arsenal fans? 

I'm saying that there will be some fans that will criticise these youngsters that come through the ranks. You said it doesn't happen. I'm saying it will one day :) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

I didn't say it'd be all Arsenal fans? 

I'm saying that there will be some fans that will criticise these youngsters that come through the ranks. You said it doesn't happen. I'm saying it will one day :) .

Yeah but you’re making it sound like it’s exclusive to Arsenal which it isn’t. Plus since we’re talking about the future I would predict it wouldn’t happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement