talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which "Favourite" Will Fail Miserably?

Which big boy will collapse?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Favourite To Have a Nightmare

Every football tournament brings up surprises from the overachieving underdog having a marvellous tournament to the big boy that fails miserably like Spain did in Brazil 2014, Argentina in the past or even Brazil in their own World Cups with the Maracanazo v1.0 and v.2.0. France also had their massive collapse in a World Cup not too long ago.

We all know the favourites for this summer's World Cup...

Who will fail, who out of those big boys will have an unexpected nightmare and fail massively.

I would suspect that after Argentina's result against Spain this week many may be inclined to go for them but one should be wary about these things because no matter the score line, it's only one defeat apart from the one against Nigeria.

What do you envisage?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fail to see how it can't be anyone but Argentina.

Awful qualifying campaign, they look far from convincing, the team doesn't look settled, and I really feel they have a potentially dangerous group that could even see them eliminated. Messi can only do so much.

I'd actually back Croatia to top it, Iceland will be difficult to beat and Nigeria are a complete wildcard.

I don't even know quite frankly how Argentina can be considered a favourite but I guess that's just me. 

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I fail to see how it can't be anyone but Argentina.

Awful qualifying campaign, they look far from convincing, the team doesn't look settled, and I really feel they have a potentially dangerous group that could even see them eliminated. Messi can only do so much.

I'd actually back Croatia to top it, Iceland will be difficult to beat and Nigeria are a complete wildcard.

I don't even know quite frankly how Argentina can be considered a favourite but I guess that's just me. 

If Argentina are bad, Croatia are worse. Iceland are a better choice to top that group. Croatia will finish dead bottom.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Ruigol said:

If Argentina are bad, Croatia are worse. Iceland are a better choice to top that group. Croatia will finish dead bottom.

I don't think Nigeria can be underestimated either!

Just now, Stan said:

I don't think Nigeria can be underestimated either!

Yeah, they look decent this time around. I don't particularly rate their squad but I think they play better for national level.

• Administrator
Just now, Ruigol said:

Yeah, they look decent this time around. I don't particularly rate their squad but I think they play better for national level.

I really want Ndidi to do well for them. Going up against stars of Argentina and players like Modric will be a great reward for him considering his age and how well he's done for us domestically too. The only risk if he does do well is that he will become more marketable and the transfer rumour vultures will start circling. I want him to be with us for ages.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I really want Ndidi to do well for them. Going up against stars of Argentina and players like Modric will be a great reward for him considering his age and how well he's done for us domestically too. The only risk if he does do well is that he will become more marketable and the transfer rumour vultures will start circling. I want him to be with us for ages.

At this point, I can honestly see Iceland and Nigeria go through. Again, I don't rate Nigeria's squad at club level but its a whole different horse at national level and they got out of the toughest qualifying group in Africa quite easily. Not a small feat.

And yeah that's what happens in the World Cup. Its kind of why I hope we at least do something respectable in Russia. Get these players to bigger clubs and then prepare for Qatar.

argentina.     they'll progress in their group but after seeing that 6-1 defeat to spain, even if that's only a friendly and minus god-messi, still, to have been thwarted so easily like that i'm not so sure if they're up against a good squad such as Spain or germany in the quarters that they'll advance.

brazil.     hoping neymar will fail again ................

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Italy won it in 2006 ------> knocked out in the group stages in 2010

Spain won it in 2010 ------> out in the group stages in 2014

Germany won it in 2014 -----> If you know what i mean B|

knowing those pesky Germans they'll win it again :ph34r: 

2 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Italy won it in 2006 ------> knocked out in the group stages in 2010

Spain won it in 2010 ------> out in the group stages in 2014

Germany won it in 2014 -----> If you know what i mean B|

you forgot that france started the trend ... won it in 1998 ...  :bye:  in 2002

Archived