talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Officials Confirmed for World Cup

• Administrator

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2018/m=3/news=36-referees-and-63-assistant-referees-appointed-as-russia-2018-match-officials.html?_branch_match_id=504381910615261310

The FIFA Referees Committee has selected 36 referees and 63 assistant referees, representing 46 different countries, for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™.

Preparations for the road to Russia kicked off in September 2014 not only for the 32 participating teams, but also for the initial group of 53 FIFA referee trios from around the world. The choice of the final group of match officials selected to officiate at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ was based on each referee’s skills and personality, as well as his level of understanding of football and ability to read both the game and the various tactics employed by teams.

Over the last three years, preparatory seminars have taken place for referees and assistant referees focusing on fair play, protecting players and the image of the game, as well as consistency and uniformity. The selected FIFA World Cup match officials will attend another dedicated seminar for two weeks in the second half of April at the technical centre of the Italian Football Association in Coverciano, Italy. The officials will be divided into two groups, which will also include video assistant referee (VAR) candidates.

Following this seminar, the FIFA Referees Committee will announce the names of the referees selected to act as VARs during football’s most important competition, the FIFA World Cup. The selection process will take into account the candidate’s VAR experience in domestic leagues, FIFA competitions and FIFA refereeing seminars since the beginning of the VAR project in 2016.

Between now and the World Cup in June, the selected referees, assistant referees and VARs will be monitored and supported by FIFA Refereeing on an individual basis to ensure they are fully prepared. Following the seminar in Coverciano, all of the match officials will take part in a final preparatory seminar at the FIFA World Cup match officials’ HQ in Moscow, which will start ten days before the tournament kicks off. This seminar will also cover VAR.

During the 2018 FIFA World Cup™, the selected match officials will operate in a variety of roles, e.g. referees, assistant referees, fourth officials, reserve assistant referees and video match officials.

List is here
https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/list-of-match-officials-for-the-2018-fifa-world-cuptm.pdf?cloudid=ygppy1zdhjaxituykarn

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not one British official. Jokes.

Says it all about the refereeing here domestically, particularly in a season where more technology is coming in to assist our officials.

Shambles. We've seriously gone downhill in that department.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Says it all about the refereeing here domestically, particularly in a season where more technology is coming in to assist our officials.

I was coming here to post this as a joke. Do people actually care whether or not we send a referee to the World Cup? Our players usually do a good enough job of embarrassing us. Besides, even when we have had referees in charge of World Cup finals and Champions League finals, most of us would still have said the standards of refereeing in England were shambolic and getting worse just as we are now.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

I was coming here to post this as a joke. Do people actually care whether or not we send a referee to the World Cup? Our players usually do a good enough job of embarrassing us. Besides, even when we have had referees in charge of World Cup finals and Champions League finals, most of us would still have said the standards of refereeing in England were shambolic and getting worse just as we are now.

I think it's embarassing the Premier League cannot muster one decent representative for the summer personally and should act as a massive wake up call. The standard here has dropped to an alarming rate and actually disagree with you and say I think there was a stage where we were one of the better officiated countries. 

But this is quite damning.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think it's embarassing the Premier League cannot muster one decent representative for the summer personally and should act as a massive wake up call. The standard here has dropped to an alarming rate and actually disagree with you and say I think there was a stage where we were one of the better officiated countries. 

But this is quite damning.

it was meant to be Clattenburg if I remember correctly. But you'd have thought they'd have time to choose someone different and have an adequate replacement given they must have known he wouldn't be doing this gig for ages.

Anthony Taylor, Martin Atkinson, Michael Oliver have all done CL/Europa League games. I think they'd have been fine for this summer. 

40 minutes ago, Lucas said:

We still have the best referees in the world.

No Jose Argote. Good.

I think the best CONMEBOL referees are going. Roldan was always a given but I don't think the likes of Cunha or Ricci are bad by anymeans.

Archived