talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Underdog of World Cup 2018

THE UNDERDOG 2018  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your underdog to have a great tournament?

• Iceland
    • Egypt
    • Iran
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • Costa Rica
    • Perú
    • Korea Republic
    • Morocco
    • Nigeria
    • Panamá
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Senegal
    • Serbia
    • Tunisia
    • Switzerland
    • Denmark

I done the poll and thread for the possible favourite to fail miserably and as I mentioned in that thread, every tournament also has its big underdog success like for example Costa Rica were in 2010 in Brazil or Iceland in Euro 2016.  Who will be Russia World Cup's big underdog overachievers?

I've left some nations out that are middle of the road nations who you could foreseeably see having a decent tournament like Belgium, Poland, Mexico, Colombia (even though they look crap) or Croatia for example. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gone for Perú because they've been looking solid and difficult to beat.  The coach has them believing that anything is possible from what I've been seeing recently.  So they're my option for this one although there are several nations that can have a very good World Cup like Iceland again (they also look hard to beat), Denmark, Iran, Morocco or even Egypt.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

since when does Peru have an accent on the u?

Waiting for Brian to come in and say they shouldn't be classed as an únderdog. 

Since the beginning of time.

We are underdogs. I can accept that we are even if we've been playing well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to answer the question, I'm going to be more neutral here as I obviously think we're going to do well. Iceland look a very solid side, they play to their strengths and some of the players they have for their standards are very good such as Gylfi. They'll beat Croatia and maybe the underachieving Argentina. Nigeria I'm a bit torn on still.

I initially would have said South Korea but they look poor tactically and that matchup against Mexico will be seriously promising. I'm going for Senegal though, they have a tough group but they can reach the quarter finals if they pass it. Some people don't realize they have an excellent squad with the likes of Mane, Keita, Koulibaly and Gueye.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Ruigol said:

Since the beginning of time.

We are underdogs. I can accept that we are even if we've been playing well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to answer the question, I'm going to be more neutral here as I obviously think we're going to do well. Iceland look a very solid side, they play to their strengths and some of the players they have for their standards are very good such as Gylfi. They'll beat Croatia and maybe the underachieving Argentina. Nigeria I'm a bit torn on still.

I initially would have said South Korea but they look poor tactically and that matchup against Mexico will be seriously promising. I'm going for Senegal though, they have a tough group but they can reach the quarter finals if they pass it. Some people don't realize they have an excellent squad with the likes of Mane, Keita, Koulibaly and Gueye.

Naby Keita is from Guinea isn't he?

My bad, Keita Balde.

• Administrator

I've gone for Egypt.

Apart from Salah, Elneny and Hegazi I couldn't tell you the names of any other players. But I think he (Salah) can lead them to a respectable showing. The ultimate underdog considering they're players (in the rest of the squad) are going to be relatively unknown for most viewers. 

La Blanquirroja supporters should be encouraged by their performances. First, they comfortably defeated a strong Croatia side 2-0 in Florida with ten men. Then, they beat the mighty Iceland 3-1 in New Jersey. They could be the surprise package at Russia 2018.

If we want to do well, I stress that we need to have 3 players performing. Guerrero/Farfan, Trauco and one of the wingers (Flores/Carrillo)

Guerrero/Farfan kind of goes without saying at this point. We need a traditional Peruvian number 9 to play that Peruvian Waltz style of play that we were known for in the 70's. Trauco is a central midfielder playing in left back and is one of the best players in the world technically. We need him on top form because to me, he's our second best player. Lastly, if one of the wingers isn't performing, then we have no width. At this point I expect the underperformer to be Carrillo, but he had a good international break compared to his last few matches so I'm a bit more optimistic. Flores is always at the right time for the goal so I confide in him a bit more.

Also, I hate the fact that we got Denmark but keep in mind we are better as underdogs. Whenever we play a match as favourites, we struggle. Colombia at home and New Zealand are 2 prime examples of this.

Iran and the most lethal thing about them is their manager,  Carlos Queiroz. Their football is more suited to knock-out stages but they can do well in the group stages as well. They gave Argentina a scare last time and they are even better this time. I hope they win against Morocco then a draw against Portugal is very likely to happen.

19 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I'd also like to add for digest that Tunisia have been looking really solid too lately.  They won't be easy to bring down to their knees and whip them.

Iran fielded their 'B' team against their 'A' team and they hardly won the match plus they had the easiest qualification group in Africa.

Though i could be wrong

Archived