talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Best International Team

football forum

i've searched this international subforums and i can't seem to find an existing thread ... if there is, just kindly merge this to that thread.   thanks and pardon for the hassle.    if there's none. well ..................

here's mine -

1st would be --  brazil 1994-2004.

having been in three successive World Cup Finals, Won in 94, lose to France in 98 and won it again in 2002.    while in their continental tournament the Copa America, they've lifted it in 1997, 1999 and 2004.    The RnR show, Ronaldo and Romario show.    Then the three pronged R-show, ronaldo, rivaldo, ronaldhino.  with the crazy roberto carlos on the left running like a freight train and that goal keeper of theirs, Taffarel and Dida.   Dida the zen goalkeeper, closes his eyes when protecting his goal during a penalty kick.    that brazil generation is a joy to watch.

2nd -- Spain. 2008-2012.

won the Euro in 2008.   WC in 2010.  Euro again in 2012.    that literal death match between the netherlands in the WC 2010 was probably one of the most gruesome game ever :P  Xavi Alonso just proved he is superman by taking that kick by De Jong head on and survived :D :D  

3rd -  France 1998-2006.

what can i say - zidane !!!   in 98 he scored two goals, in euro 2000 he was inspirational.   in 2002, his absence demonstrates that he is their leader, without him, they utterly failed.   2006, reached another final, yet showed to the world that France is all about Zidane.

those are my top three, i know the squads and achievement of Pele, Zico and the rest of Brazil of 58 to 70 is considered to be THE best but i can't put them on my list since i would look like a pretentious fool since i haven't seen them in action.    

• The title was changed to Your Best International Team
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Spain 2008(albeit being a euro, what a team to watch) followed by Brazil 2002 and France 1998.

They are from my time, of alltime then it could only be the Brazil of the 70s.

Brazil of 1970*

Just correcting that because Brazil wasn't very good after that until 1982.

7 hours ago, Ruigol said:

Brazil of 1970*

Just correcting that because Brazil wasn't very good after that until 1982.

Yeah other than 1970, Brazil were more dominant in the late 50s/early 60s but that 1970 team was probably the most iconic out of any national team.(although they were still incapable of winning copa americas during both periods mentioned weren't they?!)

Euro 2008, Xavi Hernandez was playing at GOAT level as far as midfield maestros go.

2 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Based on what I've seen, Spain 2008-12 and Germany 2014

Germany 2014 wasn't all that in my opinion. They were professional but only played 2 good games in that tournament (vs Portugal and Brazil). They grinded most of their games and didn't always look fantastic. They did have some excellent players but I just didn't think they were the best team I've ever seen.

I thought they played better stuff in 2010 and lost to arguably the best team in history, but each to their own as always. Its just my own silly opinion.

2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

i've been scouring the internet for some full games those of Brazil in the Pele era, too bad, there ain't none  :( 

Try Footballia

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Joking aside that wasn't half a class game, unreal.

Best performance I've seen from us ever with only the Holland Euro '96 coming close. 

We had so many players coming up to or in their prime such as Neville, Rio, Ashley Cole, Gerrard, Owen, Beckham, Scholes etc.

Even Heskey 'did a job'. Everything just clicked. If only we could have done that for longer than an hour and half.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Best performance I've seen from us ever with only the Holland Euro '96 coming close. 

We had so many players coming up to or in their prime such as Neville, Rio, Ashley Cole, Gerrard, Owen, Beckham, Scholes etc.

Even Heskey 'did a job'. Everything just clicked. If only we could have done that for longer than an hour and half.

Whilst I agree with everything there, I think you're being harsh on those players in that stage of their careers. I would go as far as saying we were the second best team at that World Cup. It's just bloody unfortunate we played Brazil in the quarters.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Lucas said:

England Saturday September 1st 2001. Between the hours of 6:30 to 8:30pm.

1-5.jpg

Great to see Vardy following in Heskey's footsteps as the next best England striker to play for Leicester. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

46081f316a12e8179aa37e386cc650581068ab5d

correct, Chris.

It went Lineker then Heskey and now Vardy :)

Before that it was goal-keepers with Shilton following in Banks' footsteps.

Yeah, Peru's best all time team was 1970 or 1978. 1982 was a great side too that failed at the World Cup because of squad disharmony, but many were viewing them as one of the favourites for the World Cup. However, in my lifetime, the best Peru team is the one we're seeing now. I knew I would see us in the World Cup someday, but I never thought that we would be this good. I just hope we don't get a repeat of 1982.

1970 had the likes of:

Cubillas, Chale, Chumpitaz, Perico Leon, Mifflin

1978 had the likes of:

Cubillas, Chumpitaz, Sotil, Cueto, Rojas, Quiroga

1982 had the likes of: 

Barbadillo, Uribe, Cueto, Navarro, Quiroga, Malasquez

@SirBalon What do you remember from 1982?

The game at the 1970 World cup between Brazil and Peru is class. Definitely worth a watch for people who haven't.

9 hours ago, Cicero said:

Yeah I used it to analyse players from the past. 

DiStefano truly was remarkable. Ahead of his time. 

I found a site a while back full of old Maradona matches, Cruijff and Pele, but I haven't really find enough of Di Stefano so I will have to check that site.

Zico and Rivelino are my type of players though. Highly underappreciated as well.

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The game at the 1970 World cup between Brazil and Peru is class. Definitely worth a watch for people who haven't.

Yeah, I've seen it. We gave the best Brazil side in history a run, but we were outdone by some embarrassing keeping. Rubiños was awful. Thankfully he's the last truly awful keeper we've had.

Archived