• Tardelli vs West Germany (1982)
    • Garrincha vs Bulgaria (1966)
    • Tim Cahill vs Holland (2014)
  4. 4. Group D

• Lionel Messi vs Nigeria (2014)
    • Cambiasso vs Serbia (2006)
    • Michael Owen vs Argentina (1998)
    • Dennis Bergkamp vs Argentina (1998)

Saw something like this on Twitter and decided to give it a go here - what are some of the best World Cup goals? 4 groups, no Maradona vs England and see who makes it through.

I'll include a link to each goal.

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't understand why the easy winner not only of the greatest World Cup goal (Maradona v England 86) isn't in it.  Just because it's obvious and possibly the greatest goal ever in football, it exists, it was executed and it should be there.

Anyway... I've voted on the options made available.

• Administrator

Group D is evil.

Cambiasso's is well known as one of the best team goals ever scored at a World Cup (perhaps along with Carlos Alberto in 1970 for Brazil?). 

Those 2 against Argentina were sensational though. Difficult to choose out of those but opted for Bergkamp. 

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Class thread @Ruigol (but change your name back to Blue FFS).

Do the honours for me mate. Ruidiaz is class but I realized I don't like this new name :( 

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Can't understand why the easy winner not only of the greatest World Cup goal (Maradona v England 86) isn't in it.  Just because it's obvious and possibly the greatest goal ever in football, it exists, it was executed and it should be there.

Anyway... I've voted on the options made available.

Agree. Maradona against us is the greatest ever World Cup goal, simple.

Besides that, for me it's an easy decision. Dennis Bergkamp. All. Day. Long.

If any of Messi's goals were to be added to the poll then I would say the ones vs Iran or Bosnia were much more worthy than that free-kick vs Nigeria. Better goals, although I'm not sure he'd have a goal on there anyway overall. Not when you consider, for example, that the Maradona goal vs England isn't on there(unless there is a catch to it and reason for that?) and then this baby from Baggio vs Czechoslovakia in Italia 90:-

2 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Not when you consider, for example, that the Maradona goal vs England isn't on there(unless there is a catch to it and reason for that?) 

Read the thread ya lazy bastard! xD

33 minutes ago, Blue said:

Read the thread ya lazy bastard! xD

That Baggio one has to go on there for me. It's arguably the second best goal scored in a world cup after the Maradona vs England goal, although it is all about opinions when it comes to matters like these.

The Bergkamp goal was immense as well for the record(and one of my favourites from the list), even if for the commentary of @VanPaddy screaming "Bergkamp, Bergkampppppp, Denis Bergkamppp, ahhhhhhhhh.

9 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

That Baggio one has to go on there for me. It's arguably the second best goal scored in a world cup after the Maradona vs England goal, although it is all about opinions when it comes to matters like these.

The Bergkamp goal was immense as well for the record(and one of my favourites from the list), even if for the commentary of @VanPaddy screaming "Bergkamp, Bergkampppppp, Denis Bergkamppp, ahhhhhhhhh.

I was dangerously aroused! 

Archived