talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ray Wilkins Passes Away Aged 61 After Heart Attack

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad news to be honest.  I actually remember him as a player and he was a very good one indeed.  I don't share absolutely any of his opinions on the sport and have always felt his analysis on the game verges on the comical.  But he is a big name of the past and it is shocking to hear these things. I hope he has a speedy recovery back to full fitness.

As @Cannabis touched upon, i had the unreal and unexpected moment of meeting Ray Wilkins a couple of weeks ago and he looked ill. It was surreal to see somebody that captained England sitting down drinking by himself and nobody else giving two shits until we spoke to him. He was however a very knowledgeable, frank and an interesting human being. It's an experience I'll never forget.

From what I've heard it was a very severe heart attack. The general consensus is it's amazing he's made it to the stage of being alive now and most likely going to survive. I'm not sure if that's down to luck or it says a lot about his character.

He is a fucking shit pundit that spouts absolute nonsense but Iv'e never heard a negative thing about him as a man. Looking back on his time as a coach at Chelsea he WAS the reason why kids like McEachran had the confidence to get out there and make an impression. That is why when he quit/got fired, those kids never did make the same impact. 

Raywilkinsoct2010.JPG

• The title was changed to Ray Wilkins Passes Away Aged 61 After Heart Attack
Just now, UNORTHODOX said:

Terrible tragedy, I feel bad now for ridiculing him for his comments about the United/Sevilla tie

RIP.

Why do you feel bad? Those were horrific comments and rightly ridiculed. 

Doesn't mean you can feel any less sorry for him and his family upon this tragedy. 

• Administrator

Sadly; Ray was an alcoholic and his heart attack - whilst I don’t believe confirmed - was seemingly brought on by his alcoholism. The real tragedy is that at 61, he had so many years ahead of him but losing the Chelsea job appears to be the catalyst for a downward spiral.

Archived