talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ray Wilkins Passes Away Aged 61 After Heart Attack

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Batard said:

Sadly; Ray was an alcoholic and his heart attack - whilst I don’t believe confirmed - was seemingly brought on by his alcoholism. The real tragedy is that at 61, he had so many years ahead of him but losing the Chelsea job appears to be the catalyst for a downward spiral.

Perhaps reading a little too much into it but he was regularly seen sat in the stands behind the dugout at Chelsea, I use to bump into him in the toilets and on the stairs often. Eerily maybe there's something more in that.

And as you say mate, the point where he lost his job at Chelsea may have been a turning point for him but I guess only Ray himself and those closest to him will know.

RIP big man.

• Subscriber

Really is such a sad story. Some cracking stories about him on the radio earlier. I didn't agree with a lot of things he said but he clearly loved the sport and has helped a lot of people within it. He always struck me as a warm character as well. Scary really as he was someone still quite active in the media and whatnot.

Rest in peace Ray.

Hasn't quite hit home that we will never hear his soothing voice again. His mannerisms were second to none. He had his well documented demons, but I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest he couldn't have come across as a more genuine, welcoming human. 

I thought he was always a little underrated as a pundit. Don't get me wrong, his big downfall was clearly his blue tinted goggles: "Well what we need to do, and when I say we, I mean Chelsea" (We get it Ray!!!!). But his views around progressing youth talent was spot on as far as I'm concerned and we could do with more iconic figures that have his enthusiasm and passion in that department.

RIP Ray. Thoughts and prayers are with the man's family.

Not seen this until today. To hear a man talking like that 19 years ago, in a sport that's always been riddled with macho bullshit honestly hit me pretty hard.

A sad thing about this world is that guys like him, who pour everything into looking after other people, often suffer silently rather than getting the same in return.

• 11 months later...
  • Subscriber

Aye, I am still half asleep, saw this post and went and posted another R.I.P. thinking it must have happened last night, did an edit and removed it, I might have got my thoughts crossed and was thinking about Glen Hoddle who had a heart attack a few months back and...don't want to think about it.    

Archived