talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rivalries in Spanish football

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some very unique and interesting derbies/rivalries in Spain. These are very interesting these videos and Copa90 have done a cracking job. They are worth the watch.

In fact @SirBalon or @Stan should make this into a thread of its own about "Spanish football rivalries" as there are a few good videos here documenting them, which are interesting. Andalucia is the next one they are documenting I think.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most heated derbies in European football. @Cannabis, @Spike, @Cicero, @Ruigol, @El_Loco

it would be interesting to hear what @carefreeluke has to say on this one as well since he lives down there now. What is it like among your students that you teach mate? are they all split between Real Betis and Sevilla?

This should really have its own thread with all posts of the videos moved into it. There is potential for some good discussion there. Come on @SirBalon, make it happen and make use of those mod powers you have B|

It's very fierce and a strong rivalry mate, something you would notice and feel living here even if you didn't follow football. The first 10 minutes of that video are interesting and Sid Lowe probably describes it best, there's a pure hatred for one another which off the pitch mainly manifests itself in banter and joking. In some cases (mainly on match day) this hatred escalates into violence which I guess would be only natural given the thousands of fans following both teams. However, many Sevilla fans will have family who are Betis supporters and vice versa which believe it or not plays a part in reducing the tensions in some scenarios and contexts.This is what a mate of mine who's a Sevilla season ticket holder mentioned to me, he said it's kept as mainly banter between the two and in most cases doesn't over step that line. I also give a private lesson to a mad Betis fan and his girlfriend is a big fan Sevilla fan, so much so, said student will sometimes go to Seville games with her. There's this perhaps 'connection' between the two, through families and also friends for example but it's not to say that the hatred each club has for the other is not there. It's perhaps similar to Liverpool / Everton, one city, two big teams.

In most cases, if you speak to a local from the city, you'll quickly learn that they'll be on one side or the other even if they don't follow that football. A very passionate football city and relatively small as well so you'll know when one team is playing. Spaniards tend to be more open and extrovert so to speak so perhaps that passion is escalated to an extent as well, compared to the British who tend to be more closed in their personalities.

As the video mentions, there's also a big political story there as well but I can imagine if I was to ask some Sevilla supporters this they would deny or play down that side of things. Interestingly I'm lucky enough to work in that Betis centered area called Triana, a beautiful, traditional and famous part of the city. The owner and woman who work there? Massive Sevilla fans. xD

@The Rebel CRS

Cheers for the video mate, will watch the remaining half of the video at some point this weekend.

The tendency to see Real Madrid and Barcelona fans which (like rats) seem to pop up everywhere all over Spain is a lot less common here, there's a very local and pure support to things which is nice. Just walking to my flat this evening, there were kids playing on the 'urbanización' wearing either Sevilla or Betis shirts and that's a nice image to sum up the city.

On 30/03/2018 at 19:02, carefreeluke said:

The tendency to see Real Madrid and Barcelona fans which (like rats) seem to pop up everywhere all over Spain is a lot less common here, there's a very local and pure support to things which is nice. Just walking to my flat this evening, there were kids playing on the 'urbanización' wearing either Sevilla or Betis shirts and that's a nice image to sum up the city.

I've always expected Sevilla to be like that to be honest. Both teams are well supported and always have some of the better attendances in La Liga.

47 minutes ago, Spike said:

Great videos, btw. I find the presented kind of annoying. His delivery seems over the top and exaggerated. 

I was thinking the same, especially with his hand movements. What a class A cunt xD

They do a great job of the mini-documentaries though it has to be said. A great watch.

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

I was thinking the same, especially with his hand movements. What a class A cunt xD

They do a great job of the mini-documentaries though it has to be said. A great watch.

I've watched a few, and it was at it's worst with the Galician derby. He isn't as bad as I initially thought, haha. He reminds me of Danny Dyer (who annoys me more) in 'The Real Football Factory' walking towards the camera and talking loudly.

Class thread @The Rebel CRS mate!

There's not much for me to add after @carefreeluke's brilliant post on the Seville derby because it encompasses most of Spanish football.  What I mean by the fact it encompasses most of Spain's derbies is because most of them if not all have their rivalry foundations built on either politics or the class gap... The class gap in effect also being a political outcome especially in Spain.

The hatred Carefreeluke was describing in his post between the Betis and Sevilla fans is something you'll find exists in most of Spain's derbies, especially the bigger ones like Real v Atleti, Athletic v La Real, Oviedo v Sporting and Depor v Celta.  Although things aren't like they once were where you would find extreme violence in these games both outside and inside the stadium, you do still get in many cases a very acidic feeling between both sets of fans on all of those derbies. All this without going into the crazy deadly derbies in Spain's lower divisions.

The Derby I would say has died out considerably in this sense is the Basque derby between Athletic Club and Real Sociedad.  The political fix probably occurred in the early 90s because before that you would hear all sorts of terrible and disastrous occurrences on the streets of either Bilbao or San Sebastián on a match day. These days it's all been reduced to humorous chants on the stands and then you'll observe both sets of fans drinking beer or Txakoli together after the game,

The one that maintains its vigour is the Seville Derby although it's not as violent as it once was.  You do still hear of a father who supports either Sevilla or Betis and where his son decides to support the opposite side with the result being that the father disowns his son, never to speak to him again.  O.o  I kid you not, every now and then you'll read a small quirky article in a southern local newspaper where this has occurred and the neighbourhood is all commenting on it.

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Legit didn't even recognise his accent. Turns out his Australian xDMust be drunker than I thought.

I always thought his accent sounded Australian, but thought maybe he was from London and just sounded like an Aussie.

We can't hold it against Americans now for getting Aussie and London accents mixed up as we've even been fooled there ourselves xD.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I always thought his accent sounded Australian, but thought maybe he was from London and just sounded like an Aussie.

We can't hold it against Americans now for getting Aussie and London accents mixed up as we've even been fooled there ourselves xD.

He looks first or second gen and they typically have a very mild accent compared to a skippy bastard from the bush like me . I thought he was from London as well ffs

Never watched the copa90's "derby days" but I used to watch "The Real football factories" series on youtube andthe most intense derby rivalry I saw on that was the Galatasaray and Fenerbache one. 

I will watch the videos posted on the spanish rivalries here.

• The title was changed to Rivalries in Spanish football
  • 6 months later...
  • Subscriber

This is a long read, just follow the link below but it's interesting, I remember reading about this years ago.

Barcelona v Real Madrid: The curious incident of the pig's head at the Nou Camp

By Patrick Jennings

BBC Sport

52 minutes ago | European Football

43604379_10156813578872855_3230885652312

Essentially this is a love story, just one that happens to involve the severed head of a suckling pig.

You may already know how it all began, when Barcelona's most admired player of the time, Luis Figo, left to join Real Madrid in 2000.

Two years later, the Portuguese midfielder's return to Barca in the white shirt of their bitter rivals produced one of the most dramatic evenings in Spanish football history.

That Saturday, 23 November 2002, emotions ran high and a pig's head - among many other things - was launched on to the Nou Camp pitch in Figo's direction as Barca fans lashed out at a man they had once so adored.

Here, witnesses to the match recall an extraordinary evening...

(More in the link)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45956352

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.7d17d2e11ea3fda1cd7de763ce74f7e1.png

El Clasico: La Liga ask for Barcelona-Real Madrid game to be moved

La Liga has asked for El Clasico on 26 October to be moved from Barcelona's Nou Camp stadium to Real Madrid's Bernabeu over fears of civil unrest.

There have been days of protest in Barcelona after nine Catalan separatist leaders were jailed on Monday.

More protests are expected in the city on the day of the match.

La Liga made the request to the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), citing "exceptional circumstances beyond our control".

The request has not been made to Barcelona or Real Madrid. BBC Sport has contacted both clubs for comment.

The Catalan Football Federation suspended all matches in the region on Monday, although that ruling does not affect La Liga matches or the Spanish national team.

Catalonia is a semi-autonomous region in north-east Spain and in a referendum on 1 October 2017, declared illegal by Spain's Constitutional Court, about 90% of Catalan votes cast backed independence. Turnout was 43%.

The nine separatists were convicted of sedition over their role in the referendum and handed jail sentences of between nine and 13 years by Spain's Supreme Court.

Following the sentencing, Barcelona said: "Prison is not the solution."

The Spanish champions added: "Now more than ever, the club asks all political leaders to lead a process of dialogue and negotiation to resolve this conflict, which should also allow for the release of convicted civic and political leaders.

"FC Barcelona also expresses all its support and solidarity to the families of those who are deprived of their freedom."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50071532

• The topic was unpinned

Archived