talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Antonio Conte leaves Chelsea (Confirmed)

Next Chelsea Manager  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Manage Chelsea Next?

• Carlo Ancelotti
    • Luis Enrique
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Marco Silva
    • Diego Simeone
    • Laurent Blanc
    • Marco Silva
    • Other

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go for the one that can accept that a certain system doesn't work, and bring back a back four. One that doesn't just speak about the board and the lack of players and works with what he has. Even if i did get one like that he would be sacked as soon as we missed on silverware.

I genuinely can't see the point of keeping Conte until the end of the season. Our main objective is gone, and do you honestly believe we can win the FA Cup with the way things are? 

We need to appoint an attacking minded manager to move forward because we see a similar pattern with the way things are. 

The manager comes in. Wins silverware. The board fails to strengthen the team. The Manager loses the dressing room. The manager gets sacked after a capitulation of a season. 

Now, bar the board's habit of not strengthening after a title win, the continuing element in this cycle is that the manager that comes in is defensive minded or conservative. The type of football he produces doesn't get the best out of our attacking players. And almost always the players get sick of the manager's methods. 

I want either Tuchel or Jardim. However, we will most likely get Enrique. 

Will give any manager a chance.

I want a more progressive manager. The problem we have is that firstly the squad is filled with a certain type of player and hence for a more expansive style we would need to invest. Secondly, we need to invest because a lot of these players aren’t good enough.

AVB was the last attacking or progressive manager we had and he was hung out to dry in the end. Mostly for the right reasons mind but the bigger problem there was the board, why bring someone like that in and not give him the backing and time? If a more attacking manager was to come in, he would need to be given full trust, the players and everyone at the club would have to be told, this guy is here for 2-3 years to imbed his ideas and he isn’t moving. This is the biggest issue.

My guess goes toward Luis Enrique.  The only reason I feel this way is because the rumours are strong that he is coming back into football and I can't imagine where else.  It could be any of those though with Simeone being very doubtful.

Enrique would be no different than Conte in terms of behavior. And tbh with one meeting with our board and their standards and expectations, can see him turning it down.

Little more expansive football, but in a coaching sense, he is worse than Conte. Pass. 

Best case scenario, Tuchel or Jardim with the utmost backing and trust from Roman and the board. Bring back Reuben Loftus-Cheek. 

36 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Enrique would be no different than Conte in terms of behavior. And tbh with one meeting with our board and their standards and expectations, can see him turning it down.

Little more expansive football, but in a coaching sense, he is worse than Conte. Pass. 

Best case scenario, Tuchel or Jardim with the utmost backing and trust from Roman and the board. Bring back Reuben Loftus-Cheek. 

I was a bit disappointed you didn't give a lot of the loan army and Chalobah an opportunity this season instead of signing the likes of Drinkwater, Barkley etc. That said, most of them have either been injured for long periods or been underwhelming elsewhere.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was a bit disappointed you didn't give a lot of the loan army and Chalobah an opportunity this season instead of signing the likes of Drinkwater, Barkley etc. That said, most of them have either been injured for long periods or been underwhelming elsewhere.

Bakayoko 40 million - Could of Kept Chalobah

Drinkwater 30 million - Could of kept Loftus-Cheek

That's 70 million right there that could of been invested in a player that could upgrade the team. 

Like I said, we are spending money. The whole notion that we aren't spending like we used to is false. We'd rather buy 3 average players then 1 great player. 

Aside the board's poor transfer strategy, we could be way better where we are right now if Conte wasn't such a coward tactically. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Bakayoko 40 million - Could of Kept Chalobah

Drinkwater 30 million - Could of kept Loftus-Cheek

That's 70 million right there that could of been invested in a player that could upgrade the team. 

Like I said, we are spending money. The whole notion that we aren't spending like we used to is false. We'd rather buy 3 average players then 1 great player. 

Aside the board's poor transfer strategy, we could be way better where we are right now if Conte wasn't such a coward tactically. 

The Drinkwater / Chalobah one was a sackable offence. The only saving grace is that Chalobah has had injuries this season.

The club operates on that policy that the younger players have to prove themselves elsewhere before getting a significant chance in the first team, the only player to succeed in doing that so far is Christensen. This is one scenario.

The second, if a player is really impressing in the youth setup, he'll get pushed into the first team squad as a reward but will be limited to appearances in the early rounds of the cup or very small cameos when games have become dead (and not even that at times). They'll essentially alternate between the youth set up and main squad, see Hudson-Odoi this season.

Lastly, a rarer third case is becoming part of the main squad to act as a cover, normally because the club have failed to supply adequate cover in a certain position and in this case it makes more sense for them economically to take a player from the youth setup. For example, last season, we had Kante, Cesc, Matic in central midfield and Chalobah acted as the fourth choice here in case the other three weren't available which didn't happen much at all but it was better to be safe and sound here in terms of cover.

15 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

The club operates on that policy that the younger players have to prove themselves elsewhere before getting a significant chance in the first team, the only player to succeed in doing that so far is Christensen. This is one scenario.

The second, if a player is really impressing in the youth setup, he'll get pushed into the first team squad as a reward but will be limited to appearances in the early rounds of the cup or very small cameos when games have become dead (and not even that at times). They'll essentially alternate between the youth set up and main squad, see Hudson-Odoi this season.

Lastly, a rarer third case is becoming part of the main squad to act as a cover, normally because the club have failed to supply adequate cover in a certain position and in this case it makes more sense for them economically to take a player from the youth setup. For example, last season, we had Kante, Cesc, Matic in central midfield and Chalobah acted as the fourth choice here in case the other three weren't available which didn't happen much at all but it was better to be safe and sound here in terms of cover.

I used to think this was the best way of managing youth players until Pochettino came along and wasn't scared to trust players that were competitive, impressive and talented in training and for the u23's. It's no coincidence England went through a period of having players that had predominantly played under him at either Spurs or Southampton at one point.

9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I used to think this was the best way of managing youth players until Pochettino came along and wasn't scared to trust players that were competitive, impressive and talented in training and for the u23's. It's no coincidence England went through a period of having players that had predominantly played under him at either Spurs or Southampton at one point.

I agree...

The way to go with young players is to trust them, give them confidence by playing them.

The question is though, Pochettino has been at clubs where he's practically been forced to bet on youth from Espanyol, Southampton and now Spurs...  Only at Tottenham has he had more resources but even so, not the resources Pochettino's present status and probable next coaching job will be able to offer him.  It's from there onwards where we know what Mauricio can handle in terms of real pressure on delivery and his love of promoting youth which he's always publicly advocated.

12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yeah mate, you're right.

There's some cases where players should have went out on loan earlier and so on. Ruben Loftus-Cheek spent the last few years going from the second paragraph to the third paragraph in the scenarios I mentioned above. Not to say he wouldn't have benefited from that experience of being in the full team squad but surely playing more regular football would have been better for him. He's spent three years more or less doing nothing, it's not until this season where he's with you lot that he's started to get some more recognition and make better progress.

Kenedy as well (was bought for nearly 7M but comes under the group of young players). He spent three years doing nothing. Again, travelling with the squad in Europe, training and playing with great players and working under top managers would have been good for him, the same as Ruben above but surely it would have been better for him to go out on loan earlier. Kenedy played one big Champions League game for us and that's all that could have benefited him really. Like Ruben and Chalobah, he's been a last act of cover at some different points over the years but never really been used. He's started playing for Newcastle and we've seen the results.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived