talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Antonio Conte leaves Chelsea (Confirmed)

Next Chelsea Manager  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Manage Chelsea Next?

• Carlo Ancelotti
    • Luis Enrique
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Marco Silva
    • Diego Simeone
    • Laurent Blanc
    • Marco Silva
    • Other

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'd honestly rather re-appoint Ancelotti than Simeone 

Doubt he would go back there, at least under Abramovich. But yeah, him and Simeone would be the most suitable candidates for the spot.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'd honestly rather re-appoint Ancelotti than Simeone 

I'd love to see him back in England and out of all the recent Chelsea sides, I liked his the best. He's also one of the most suited to a club with (sometimes unrealistically, imo) high expectations - being in charge of the last great AC Milan sides, Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and winning major titles at each of them.

I know a lot of Chelsea fans do not want him back at all. But with the short-termism that seems to govern at Chelsea... he's probably one of the best "short term" managers appointable.

Although, as I've said before, I think the short term, demands for immediate success are the board shooting the club in the foot. Chelsea's short termism has obviously brought them a lot of success since Roman has bought them. And now they've established themselves as a pretty solid force in European football with a very strong squad. But I think there's a toxic culture, as I've said in other posts, that's created when you've got these expensive players that are less easily replaced than expensive managers. You don't have one club moving towards one solid long term goal - you've got one short term goal, and if failure seems imminent the players can ultimately sink a manager (and end/derail any... if there are any... long term plans that may have been going forward). And I think that leads to conservative football being played, because that's less risky. And you see less chances given to the kids, regardless of how promising they are, because that's less risky. When one bad run of form can bring about the end of your career, you just don't have the same room to make risks or work towards long term goals.

I think the way Chelsea have established themselves in the last... over a decade (because I don't remember how long it's been exactly), they're the ideal platform for a manager with a long term vision. They've got a squad full of quality, a lot of resources - both for buying players and also developing young players, and in the long term can have sustained success playing better football and removing that toxic mercenary culture from the club. There's a saying, "no player is bigger than the club" - but it doesn't seem like that's the case at Chelsea when things go sour for a manager, it seems that "the player are the club" and they don't take as much responsibility for their performances as the manager does for getting things wrong (and there's no doubt that Conte, and other sacked Chelsea managers have gotten things wrong - but football managers do get things wrong).

I also think it's pretty shit when we've got such a competitive league and clubs aren't willing to give managers who won them a title the time to right the ship... after they've shown they can perform. Like if someone has been given over 15-20 matches to show what they've got and they aren't getting results AND aren't getting anywhere near acceptable performances, sure they deserve the sack probably. But past success has to count for something, especially when it's the season before. Good managers don't turn bad overnight, good players don't turn bad overnight either - and a good manager should be afforded time to fix things that have gone wrong when they've shown they can actually deliver imo.

But you can always point to Chelsea chopping and changing managers and then winning shit. And that's a fair counterpoint, I can't dispute that it's worked for them and probably will continue to work. I just think the club could be playing better football, having more kids go through, and still have plenty of success over the years by working towards goals achieved over the course of several seasons, rather than just looking season to season.

• Subscriber

There hasn't been a better Chelsea side since the Robben, A Cole, J Cole, Paulo Ferreira, Cech, Terry, Ricardo Carvalho etc. team.

There were other seasons where they were pretty good to watch with Malouda, Kalou, Bosingwa absolute must haves in Fantasy Football too.

It's hard to emulate the highs Chelsea have had in terms of teams with character after two absolute talismen in Lampard and Terry leave though.

50 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Simeone and Ancelotti would set this club back. 

Ancelotti only works when everything is going well for him. 

Simeone makes Mourinho look like a free-flowing manager. 

Simeone's football is awful to watch and his sides are dirty as fuck. Keep him the fuck away from England, please.

3 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Oh yeah! Chelsea will get a coach whose Finals record is record setting as oppose to mourinho who always fails during a final. Lucky chelsea

We'll sack Conte, appoint a new manager and win the title long before United do xD

On 4/3/2018 at 01:58, Cicero said:

Bakayoko 40 million - Could of Kept Chalobah

Drinkwater 30 million - Could of kept Loftus-Cheek

That's 70 million right there that could of been invested in a player that could upgrade the team. 

Like I said, we are spending money. The whole notion that we aren't spending like we used to is false. We'd rather buy 3 average players then 1 great player. 

Aside the board's poor transfer strategy, we could be way better where we are right now if Conte wasn't such a coward tactically. 

Of course the club isn't spending like it use it. Chelsea once broke records on mediocre players, now it low balls on medicore players. 

• Subscriber
On 4/2/2018 at 14:31, Cicero said:

Rummenigge (Bayern): "Thomas Tuchel told us that he has already signed for another club. That is ok.“ [Sky Germany]

PSG it is.

It won't matter who we get in if the new Manager is promised funds or targets etc and then we fail to deliver on that promise where does that leave them?? 

A new Manager would normally galvanize the side for a period of time anyway and it's not as though we have a shit squad just that individual and collective performances along with some tactical blunders have made us seem a lot worse than we could have been this season.. 

Little surprised Brendan Rodgers name hasn't come up here. For me, he would surely be one of the perfect candidates to become Chelsea manager.

Rodgers knows the inner workings of the club, having been there under Mourinho. He's been an integral part of Chelsea's youth system developing a lot of players.

He plays good football, an attractive style of football, which would please Abramovich and the fans which has always been a stigma attached to Chelsea.

And you'd think with the experience he now has of managing, he would be in a better position to manage a club who could compete on all fronts.

I'm sure he'd bring in young players and develop that football team over the next few years.

I'd take the punt.

Conte has been good for us, the few months of football before Christmas last season was up there with some of the best football I've seen us play in my life time but throughout that season the worry remained about the quality of some of the players and our struggles against better opposition. We did have some good performances against the top clubs last season but the majority of these were perhaps (not mainly but definitely partly) carried by the high confidence and momentum built up in the title run. We were also incredibly efficient against clubs outside the top six.

Something that went against Conte when he joined us was his record in Europe and the domestic cup competitions and he's not done much at all to get rid of that poor record with us. He's a tactical manager and you would of thought preparing for the nature of cup competitions would have suited him but no that hasn't been the case, it's something he needs to improve on. He can moan all day long about what he wants but in the majority of cases, it has been his decisions against the bigger teams and in the cup competitions which have held us back.

The blame is not necessarily entirely down to the system as well, it's more the approach within that system that is killing us. I understand why Chelsea fans would be a bit fed up with it (I am a little too) but we were also incredibly fed up with the 4-3-3 under Mourinho towards the end of that reign as well. Conte has three big games left, against Liverpool in the league but more importantly the FA Cup semi-final and the final if we are to get to it. The end of the season could go a little way to mending and improving his record in the cup competitions but I don't fancy us against Spurs who keep the ball well (which is what we struggle against) and a Man United side who are growing in confidence and taking into account Mourinho's record in finals. We have to get there first mind and Southampton will be a further test of Conte's capability. 

• Subscriber
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 04:23, Spike said:

Of course the club isn't spending like it use it. Chelsea once broke records on mediocre players, now it low balls on medicore players. 

This just isn't true - and it annoys me that Chelsea fans are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.

You can argue that money is being spent in the wrong areas - but you're still spending big money.

To take from twitter:

"Hearing a few @ChelseaFC fans saying Conte wasn't backed in recent windows. Lets remind ourselves who they signed & at what cost: Morata £60M Bakayoko £36M Drinkwater £35M Rudiger £31.5M Zappacosta £22.5M Emerson £18M Giroud £18m Barkley £15M Just the £236 Million."

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived