talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 4th April - Liverpool 3-0 Man City (QF 1st Leg)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Home game against City who will be looking to make good on the last time we beat them even though they scored. I peg us to win here but to concede as well.

Liverpool 2/3 - City 1

If it was first-leg at the Etihad I'm sure Liverpool would play as normal, hope for a back-and-forth match and accept a deficit if it meant getting some away goals. 

He's said there will be no-bus parking, and Monaco beat City last season by playing two mental matches, but that was with the first leg in Manchester, and he must know how massive it will be if they can keep a clean sheet considering Guardiola's knockouts from 2012-2016.

Chelsea 2012: 1:0 away, Barca have to go all-out at home, concede the away goal and can't get back into it.

Real 2014: 1:0 away, Bayern go into the home match flying and get annihilated on the break and on set pieces.

Barcelona 2015: not really like the others, no away goal but it was 3-0 battering and tie was dead before the 2nd leg.

Atleti 2016: 1:0 away, Bayern batter them at home but still let Atleti grab the away goal to go through.

We've seen Liverpool vary it a little bit this season between their usual approach and their 4-4-1-1 kinda shape where they sit in a middle-ish block and try to go on the break. In all likelihood it will be two intense matches with no clean sheets, but I'd be interested to see if Klopp does play it more cautiously at home, considering that Guardiola is likely going to try and dominate both legs. It might make sense to mix it up.

Goes without saying but we can't really slow then to score two goals at our place. We need a win margin of at least 2 goals to get through this round if you ask me. 

That being said I think the first leg will be 2-2 unfortunately.

Well the centreback pairing picks itself with Matip out for the season and Klavan unlikely to play while carrying a knock. Lovren and Van Dijk - but an injury here would be pretty devastating. Gomez is out, Clyne hasn't played in fucking ages, and TAA is no good defensively and he'd be marking Sane... that seems like a bad situation no matter how you slice it, a rusty Clyne or a defensively questionable TAA. With Can and Lallana out, the selection for the midfield is a bit more simple. I think Wijnaldum's got to play - when he came off the last time we played Citeh, they came back into it - whereas when he was on the midfield battle was won. No Can means Henderson is nailed on - which I think should have been the case anyways. And then the question is Milner v. the Ox. I'd go with Chamberlain because of his ability to drive into space.

If not for the fact we will need a midfielder on the bench for depth, I'd say it might be worth it to give Milner a run out at RB in this match, rather than a Clyne lacking match fitness or TAA getting run ragged by Sane.

I've got confidence in our front 3 to create problems. It's up to our midfield to keep the supply to them and to harass the fuck out of Citeh, and for our defense (and side overall generally) to limit mistakes against what is probably one of the top 3 teams remaining in the competition and by far the best English side.

So it'll be fucking tough and I don't expect us to make it through this round. But it would be very fucking cool, because if we can beat them over two legs I'm confident we have a real chance.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well the centreback pairing picks itself with Matip out for the season and Klavan unlikely to play while carrying a knock. Lovren and Van Dijk - but an injury here would be pretty devastating. Gomez is out, Clyne hasn't played in fucking ages, and TAA is no good defensively and he'd be marking Sane... that seems like a bad situation no matter how you slice it, a rusty Clyne or a defensively questionable TAA. With Can and Lallana out, the selection for the midfield is a bit more simple. I think Wijnaldum's got to play - when he came off the last time we played Citeh, they came back into it - whereas when he was on the midfield battle was won. No Can means Henderson is nailed on - which I think should have been the case anyways. And then the question is Milner v. the Ox. I'd go with Chamberlain because of his ability to drive into space.

If not for the fact we will need a midfielder on the bench for depth, I'd say it might be worth it to give Milner a run out at RB in this match, rather than a Clyne lacking match fitness or TAA getting run ragged by Sane.

I've got confidence in our front 3 to create problems. It's up to our midfield to keep the supply to them and to harass the fuck out of Citeh, and for our defense (and side overall generally) to limit mistakes against what is probably one of the top 3 teams remaining in the competition and by far the best English side.

So it'll be fucking tough and I don't expect us to make it through this round. But it would be very fucking cool, because if we can beat them over two legs I'm confident we have a real chance.

Pretty much agree with all that. 

Basically, we are out xD

• Administrator
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

They tried it at Newcastle a few years ago. Didn't take off.

why did Liverpool try and serve Newcastle fans at their seats? No wonder it didn't work. 

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They tried it at Newcastle a few years ago. Didn't take off.

Only because the waiters couldn't squeeze past all them bellies to get to people mate... they are a bit thinner at Anfield 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Only because the waiters couldn't squeeze past all them bellies to get to people mate... they are a bit thinner at Anfield 

They might be thinner but just wait til they get someone's order wrong and have to tell them to calm down

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

4 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They might be thinner but just wait til they get someone's order wrong and have to tell them to calm down

won't they just steal each other's orders at Anfield :ph34r:?

That's some American shite right there, which I suppose makes sense because we've got American owners. I wonder if the trial is them trying to prove that it's a viable business model for Anfield, or if the club is paying this company for that.

• The title was changed to Wednesday 4th April - Liverpool 3-0 Man City (QF 1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived