talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Championship Play-off Picture

football forum

Championship Play-offs  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Qualify For the Play-offs?

• Administrator

image.png

After today's games, majority of teams have 6 games and 18 points to play for. (I've discounted Wolves in the poll as they're guaranteed a play-off spot and will almost certainly get automatic promotion - they only need 8 more points to secure that). 

Brentford are rank outsiders but anyone above them up to Derby in 5th still have a lot to play for.

The top 2 look settled, especially if Cardiff beat Sheff Utd later today. Alternatively, Sheff Utd winning tonight bumps them up to 6th. Bound to be a lot of change which should make for an exciting run-in and climax to this league. If Fulham beat Leeds tomorrow at home, they'll keep the pressure on Cardiff regardless.

Key fixtures from today onwards
2nd April - Sheff Utd vs Cardiff

6th April - Cardiff vs Wolves
7th April - Millwall vs Bristol City

10th April - Aston Villa vs Cardiff, Sheff Utd vs Middlesbrough
11th April - Wolves vs Derby

14th April - Sheff Utd vs Millwall, Middlesbrough vs Bristol City, Fulham vs Brentford

20th April - Millwall vs Fulham
21st April - Derby vs Middlesbrough

24th April - Derby vs Cardiff

28th April - Aston Villa vs Derby, Middlesbrough vs Millwall, Sheff Utd vs Preston, 

6th May (final day) - Bristol City vs Sheff Utd, Millwall vs Villa

Looking at those, Cardiff have perhaps the toughest run-in, having to play 4 of their remaining fixtures against Wolves and other play-off contenders. Your thoughts @Bluebird Hewitt?

Millwall in a similar position, 5 of their games are against sides in the play-off mix.

I'm sure @Danny won't mind me saying that Brentford have the outside chance of making it! Stranger things have happened in this division though for sure. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before that despite the current 7 point gap, it's not over at all when you consider that we have three promotion contenders in a week, followed by tough away games against Norwich, Derby and Hull as well.

I'm struggling to see where Fulham will drop points next.

58 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I've said it before that despite the current 7 point gap, it's not over at all when you consider that we have three promotion contenders in a week, followed by tough away games against Norwich, Derby and Hull as well.

I'm struggling to see where Fulham will drop points next.

I know it's nervous times for you, but Norwich and Hull are not tough away games. We both have awful home records.

Top three are pretty much 2nd 3rd and 4th. I can't imagine with all his experience Neil Warnock will let Cardiff bottle it now.

Of the rest I have gone for 'Boro and Bristol City, mainly because Derby and Sheffield United have shown symptoms of choking stronger than them, and I'm praying to God that somebody can stop this Neil Harris led steam train that's coming through from The Den at the moment.

The winner of the playoffs will be Villa in a Villa / Fulham. Too much depth and experience there to blow this, plus 'Boro have a dismal record against the top four teams.

As I mentioned yesterday, this year looks weaker than last year competition wise for playoffs. For example the team we had last year would be firmly in the playoffs for this season, but last year evertime we won, Wednesday, Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham kept winning and we couldn't pull away. The pressure made us collapse 5 games from home.

Bristol City, Middlesbrough, Sheff Utd, Millwall, Derby etc are all tripping over their own feet since the new year. No one wants it. Which is what makes it so tough and frustrating to watch. But it is what it is.

If I had to stick my neck on the line, I'd tip Derby to settle themselves and pop back in there followed by Middlesbrough. But I'll be disapointed if any of those clubs go up, the quality is average and it will benefit us next year if they stay down.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

As I mentioned yesterday, this year looks weaker than last year competition wise for playoffs. For example the team we had last year would be firmly in the playoffs for this season, but last year evertime we won, Wednesday, Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham kept winning and we couldn't pull away. The pressure made us collapse 5 games from home.

Bristol City, Middlesbrough, Sheff Utd, Millwall, Derby etc are all tripping over their own feet since the new year. No one wants it. Which is what makes it so tough and frustrating to watch. But it is what it is.

If I had to stick my neck on the line, I'd tip Derby to settle themselves and pop back in there followed by Middlesbrough. But I'll be disapointed if any of those clubs go up, the quality is average and it will benefit us next year if they stay down.

Millwall, the team that haven't lost since new years day, tripping up over their feet?

I do get your point though. It would be a shame if three of the current top four don't go up.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

As it stands Cardiff, Fulham and Villa are guaranteed at least a playoff place.

Looks like 2 from 7 for the other spots.

After today's games, four points separate Boro in 5th to Bristol City in 11th with three games to go (Derby with a game in hand).

This is too close to call.

I think it's ironic this is not one of Brentford's strongest XI's since they have been down here and yet they still have a playoff shout.

The quality this year has really been disappointing for me. Derby and Middlesbrough especially. How some of these teams may actually end up with a chance of going up still amazes me.

On 17/04/2018 at 03:58, Lucas said:

I think it's ironic this is not one of Brentford's strongest XI's since they have been down here and yet they still have a playoff shout.

The quality this year has really been disappointing for me. Derby and Middlesbrough especially. How some of these teams may actually end up with a chance of going up still amazes me.

It's probably our second strongest since coming up, the play off side being the strongest. The main difference between the two is consistency (we had a shocking start to the season this season) and Andre Gray. Outside of that not much in it.

Millwall chief executive Steve Kavanagh admits he has been left pinching himself over the club's unexpected challenge for promotion, and says the Lions are under no pressure to deliver promotion.

Neil Harris' side sit sixth in the Championship with three games remaining and can take a giant step towards securing a play-off place when they host Fulham on Friday, live on Sky Sports Football.

Millwall have gone 17 games unbeaten in the league since losing 2-1 to Norwich on New Year's Day, and Kavanagh admits he can scarcely believe the club's current league position.

"We're enjoying ourselves. The first target was to stay up, we achieved that and then we said 'let's see where we go to'," he said.

• Subscriber

I think Fulham will win tonight and Millwall will tail off.

I can't look beyond Cardiff and Fulham to come up.

Middlesbrough coming up would be like when Hull did a couple of years ago. Totally under the radar almost.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

I think Fulham will win tonight and Millwall will tail off.

I can't look beyond Cardiff and Fulham to come up.

Middlesbrough coming up would be like when Hull did a couple of years ago. Totally under the radar almost.

I think Fulham will bottle the play offs. Most likely to Villa. I think if we make the play offs we'll beat both.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Danny said:

I think Fulham will bottle the play offs. Most likely to Villa. I think if we make the play offs we'll beat both.

I called them going out to Reading last year but they look on another level this time around. I still think they might get 2nd.

Archived