talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kevin De Bruyne: I Deserve to Win Player of the Year

Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has stated his case to be named the Premier League's Player of the Year, but acknowledged Liverpool's Mohamed Salah would be a worthy winner as well.

De Bruyne has been the driving force behind City's runaway league campaign. Pep Guardiola's men sit 16 points ahead of second-placed Manchester United with a chance to clinch the title this weekend with a win over their city rivals at the Etihad.

The Belgium international has been in wonderful form all season, providing a league-high 15 assists to go along with seven goals and numerous impressive displays from midfield.

"In one way I believe I deserve it, because I have been very consistent in my form. I am very happy with myself," De Bruyne said of winning the award. "I am very pleased with how I have played and I didn't expect to be this good this season to be honest.

"There is almost no game where my standard has dropped, so I have been very constant. To maintain the level in the amount of games I have played, the amount of minutes, I am very pleased with that."

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where does all this self marketing come from these days? xD

I mean, obviously the journalist's questions have to be taken into account here but even so, De Bruyne could've easily stated that he's very happy with his season so far and how he hopes to continue to become even better with also adding that it's not for himself to say whether or not he deserves the award for the player of the year.  Everyone knows he's the player of the year by a massive margin.

He has always come across as a humble kind of bloke to me so not sure how much of this interview had the journalists 'artistic content' added in for good measure.. Lets be honest we could all do without another Ronaldo... one is bad enough

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

it'd be between him and Salah anyway. I'd opt for the latter as preference but wouldn't be surprised if De Bruyne won as well. 

Salah has been extremely effective and has been commended for it but De Bruyne has been the best footballer of the year by quite some margin.

15 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Salah has been extremely effective and has been commended for it but De Bruyne has been the best footballer of the year by quite some margin.

It's the classic issue of comparing an insanely effective attacking player who's clearly won game after game for his team, and a brilliant midfielder whose contributions are harder to quantify. 

Couldnt argue against either of them winning it, to me.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Where does all this self marketing come from these days? xD

I mean, obviously the journalist's questions have to be taken into account here but even so, De Bruyne could've easily stated that he's very happy with his season so far and how he hopes to continue to become even better with also adding that it's not for himself to say whether or not he deserves the award for the player of the year.  Everyone knows he's the player of the year by a massive margin.

Wait, so it is possible to brush off a journalist's question and answer in a diplomatic way? Someone better tell the higher ups at Barcelona :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Inverted said:

It's the classic issue of comparing an insanely effective attacking player who's clearly won game after game for his team, and a brilliant midfielder whose contributions are harder to quantify. 

Couldnt argue against either of them winning it, to me.

The fact a midfielder's contribution is harder to quantify tells us the complicated skill required to be a great midfielder.  How many effective goal scorers are there functioning in European football that you could acquire for your club.

I find it harder to value a great midfielder and finding someone of De Bruyne's qualities in European football is very difficult indeed and there are very few because those that exist you'd probably find it impossible to acquire and would be valued beyond a price that's viable. 

7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Wait, so it is possible to brush off a journalist's question and answer in a diplomatic way? Someone better tell the higher ups at Barcelona :ph34r:

You need your Barcelonaitis seen to mate! xD

I think the debate proves it's not undebatable  xD Serious question though. Would De Bruyne get in the Barcelona squad?

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think the debate proves it's not undebatable  xD Serious question though. Would De Bruyne get in the Barcelona squad?

Without a doubt.  He would get into any squad but Real need him a lot more.  

• The title was changed to Kevin De Bruyne: I Deserve to Win Player of the Year

I don't think there's any problem with KDB saying what he said.

Infact it's refreshing to hear someone back themselves like that and be honest if they feel they have genuinely been quality. Sometimes the same diplomatic generic answers are boring.

Salah has been brilliant without a shadow of a doubt. However, I've said KDB from the start would do it and I'm sticking with him. City have had some key contributions but he has orchestrated it all. He's the heartbeat of the team, constantly been 9/10 in games and played nearly all their minutes, which shows how much Pep thinks of him.

I genuinely do not think City would have won the league without him. And for that, he deserves the plaudits.

Archived