talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Olympiakos Players Fined €400,000 & Ordered to go on Holiday

football forum

Olympiakos players have been fined 400,000 euros (£350,000) and ordered to go on holiday by the club president following poor results.

The Greek champions are third in the Super League after three wins in their past eight games.

Shipping magnate Evangelos Marinakis, who also owns Nottingham Forest, was quoted in the Greek media as telling the players: "I and the rest of the fans have tolerated you enough. You will leave today and go on holiday."

Olympiakos have been crowned champions of Greece 44 times, including the past seven seasons.

However, they are three points behind leaders AEK Athens with four matches remaining.

Olympiakos drew 1-1 at 10th-placed Levadiakos on Saturday.

Marinakis said half the fine was for a 1-1 draw against arch rivals Panathinaikos on 4 March.

He said very few players in the current squad will be retained for the remainder of the season, with replacements to be called up from the under-20 team.

Three years ago Marinakis fined his team 500,000 euros for their performances.

He completed his takeover of Forest in May 2017, bringing to an end Fawaz Al Hasawi's five-year reign in charge of the Championship club.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Read about this earlier today too, it's quite unusual but also very refreshing to see the players being given the blame for bad results instead of sacking yet another manager...  They are 9 points behind the league leaders, and their captain apparently didn't even bother to do the pre-match warmup last time, seems that the team morale and attitude is really awful. 

Hilarious. The Greeks are up there with the Italians for the most impatient race in Europe. How can you order them to go on holiday early when you are only 3 points behind? Its basically gifting the title to another team.

20 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Don't follow Greek football but made up that AEK are top after having to start from scratch. I remember going to Tony Hibbert's testimonial and they fielded a pretty much amatuer side. 

Did he score in that game from a free kick? When Hibbert scores we riot?

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Blue said:

Hilarious. The Greeks are up there with the Italians for the most impatient race in Europe. How can you order them to go on holiday early when you are only 3 points behind? Its basically gifting the title to another team.

given how corrupt this league and that man in particular is, it wouldn't surprise me if he profits from another team winning the league as well. 

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Kevin Mirallas is a class act, yet another player who has been absolutely ruined under the current regime.

But Pienaar is a waste of space or whatever you called him? xD

Mirallas is inconsistent with a shit attitude. I was at Goodison for his debut where he scored two goals albeit only against Leyton Orient in the cup and that coupled with his record in Greece, I thought of all Moyes' signings he could be the best of all at £6m.

He's scored a number of quality goals and big goals for us but with the talent at his disposal should have made himself the first name on the team sheet for many years. The fact that there have been other phases in his career where the likes of Roysten Drenthe, Gerard Deulofeu and Aaron Lennon have been picked ahead of him go to show that under multiple managers he has failed to fulfil his potential.

Talented player yes but only under the circumstances that suit him which makes him the furthest thing possible from a "class act" in my book. The Echo ran a poll recently on which players Everton fans want us to keep or sell and Mirallas had the highest percentage for people wanting to get shot of him. More than Williams or Schneiderlin which says it all.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Wankstain. 

And yeah, I stand by that. Class player for us with Baines at left-back but after ditching us to join Tottenham we should never have taken him back, tail between his legs.

Fair enough. Personally still liked him when he came back but he wasn't good for long.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Blue said:

They are apparently 9 points behind as AEK are set to get 3 points awarded over the PAOK incident, and Olympiakos had 3 points docked for their fan violence, so they don't really have any hopes of winning the title anymore...

They sacked the manager now too xD Some players are said to be given a second chance though.

The headline "Olympiakos Players Fined €400,000 and Ordered to Fuck Off" would probably be more accurate :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Stan said:

given how corrupt this league and that man in particular is, it wouldn't surprise me if he profits from another team winning the league as well. 

yeah.  maybe he bet big on the team leading the charts.   

Archived