talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ross Barkley Told Sign Or Be Sold

"Ross is a boy from Everton and we need to show him the reasons to stay," said Koeman, who is also battling to persuade Romelu Lukaku to sign a new contract.

"But Barkley's situation is different to Romelu because next season will be the last year of his contract.

"You make decisions at the end of the season and you sign a new contract or you sell the player. There is no 'ultimatum' but that's ­business - and the player needs to ­understand this."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/10804474/ronald-koeman-tells-ross-barkley-to-sign-new-everton-deal-or-be-sold-this-summer

There's his chance to go :ph34r:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
football forum
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Anything in the region of £15m ... Snatch their hand off. The man's a fraud. 

Not sure if fishing or you haven't watched him this year?

10 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Not sure if fishing or you haven't watched him this year?

He's been decent in patches (as per), average in others but he's a million miles from the hype he gets. I mean, how long has it been now people saying that Ross needs to start showing some of his potential? 18 year old Delli Alli makes a mockery of Barkley's potential  

£20m at a push, I'm not having he's worth a penny more than that. 

I mean, where would he go? He'd get nowhere near any of the top 6 clubs first eleven! Everton is the best he can do and he's lucky to be there as they're probably a level too high for him in my opinion. 

Everton missed their chance to make big bucks on him. They should have sold him 2 seasons ago when his 'potential' was just that. Now he's not classed as potential, he's just a decent footballer. 

Koeman once again coming out of a press conference well. No bullshit just brutal honesty, love it. 

Barkley has been consistently excellent since the late equaliser at Hull. We absolutely have to tie him down to a long-term contract. 

There would be more tears over a Barkley departure than Lukaku's. 

1 minute ago, HK85 said:

Koeman once again coming out of a press conference well. No bullshit just brutal honesty, love it. 

Barkley has been consistently excellent since the late equaliser at Hull. We absolutely have to tie him down to a long-term contract. 

There would be more tears over a Barkley departure than Lukaku's. 

That last bit is absolute nonsense. The only sad thing for Everton losing Barkley is that they'd be losing one of their own but in terms of what each player offers the team then there's no comparison. Chalk and cheese. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

That last bit is absolute nonsense. The only sad thing for Everton losing Barkley is that they'd be losing one of their own but in terms of what each player offers the team then there's no comparison. Chalk and cheese. 

It would be nonsense if I mentioned anything about what both players offer.

11 minutes ago, Storts said:

I'd like Barkley - think we'll go back in for him. Levy special last year of his contract

I presume for rotation and early rounds of the cups? Otherwise, he's getting nowhere near your first 11.

It would be strange decision on his part moving from being a first team player at Everton to a rotation option at Spurs. 

How can Barkley have the cheek to try and hold Everton to ransom? He's never set the world alight, he's not even an England regular (I don't think) and his form has been erratic for years yet he's trying to act like he's the business. 

Bin him. Everton have that Steve Walsh, I'd be confident that he could find a replacement that could perform on a more regular basis than Barkley for a fraction of the cost that Barkley will inevitably go for. 

16 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Then surely people would be more upset losing Lukaku? 

Even those with the smallest amount of knowledge knew Lukaku wasn't going to stay here for long. There's not as strong a relationship between the fans as Barkley. Young and old. He's the fan done good. 

8 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Even those with the smallest amount of knowledge knew Lukaku wasn't going to stay here for long. There's not as strong a relationship between the fans as Barkley. Young and old. He's the fan done good. 

Maybe so, but he's no great loss. Everton can do a lot better in my opinion.

You saying you'd be more upset losing Barkley over Lukaku is like me saying I'd rather lose Coutinho over Flanagan. 

Sentiments are nice and all that but from a football perspective it's nonsense. 

I have to agree with Smiley. He's been good for a couple of months, and this was after the Manager questioned his attitude in training at the beginning of the season, but now he thinks he's in a position to hold the club to ransom? He should be thankful of the opportunity he's been given. 

• Administrator

Think what @HK85 is trying to get at is that sentimentality holds more than talent in some occasions. 

However I think MadLad is right in that Lukaku would be a far greater loss because of the benefits to the team. He's a 20-goal striker a season that teams crave. And he's only 23. He wasn't going to stay at Everton for life but I think most Everton fans would have liked him to stay longer than he has done so far.

Lukaku is harder to replace than Barkley is. 

5 minutes ago, HK85 said:

So you keep saying, we get it, you don't like him. 

I don't know him xD He might be a really nice bloke?

I don't rate him would be more accurate.

We are talking about a player that was threatened with the boot the minute Koeman walked in, a player that has shown amazing inconsistency throughout his career, a player that can't get anywhere near a very poor England team. 

Sentiments from the fans is all well and good but where is Barkleys loyalty? He's 'trying' to hold Everton to ransom when he has no business even being in their team.

18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I don't know him xD He might be a really nice bloke?

I don't rate him would be more accurate.

We are talking about a player that was threatened with the boot the minute Koeman walked in, a player that has shown amazing inconsistency throughout his career, a player that can't get anywhere near a very poor England team. 

Sentiments from the fans is all well and good but where is Barkleys loyalty? He's 'trying' to hold Everton to ransom when he has no business even being in their team.

Now you're going off of a tangent for a throwaway comment that didn't mention his ability, just that people would be more upset that he'd leave. 

He's played in every game bar City away and United at home. He's also captained the team this season so the threats to get the boot don't seem to be with much conviction. 

His loyalty is to his career, whether it be at us or elsewhere. Like Lukaku he may want assurances on where the club is going or it could be that he's not getting a wage he deserves in relation to the rest of our squad. 

He also has every business being in our team. 

9 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Now you're going off of a tangent for a throwaway comment that didn't mention his ability, just that people would be more upset that he'd leave. 

He's played in every game bar City away and United at home. He's also captained the team this season so the threats to get the boot don't seem to be with much conviction. 

His loyalty is to his career, whether it be at us or elsewhere. Like Lukaku he may want assurances on where the club is going or it could be that he's not getting a wage he deserves in relation to the rest of our squad. 

He also has every business being in our team. 

Fair enough. 

If the threat of the boot doesn't seem to have been said with any conviction though then maybe we can't take what Koeman says as gospel, the name of this thread no less? 

Anyway fuck it, I've said enough on this topic xD

Here's hoping he signs a new contract and stays for many years. 

I genuinely don't remember hearing anyone in the game refer to Ross Barkley without using terms such as 'rough' or 'rising' or 'unfinished' or 'encouraging'. 

No idea what he has actually done in his career to justify him stalling on a contract offer - elite clubs are hardly itching to sign a 23 year old with only 'promise' to offer them. 

• Subscriber

No matter what percentage of matches Barkley is average, it'll never be as high as the percentage of LFCMadLads posts on this forum trying to convince people (mostly everton fans who actually watch the lad play every week and are a fan base who, let's be honest, have never had second thoughts about getting on Ross' back) that Barkley is some sort of Bentley/Rodwell/Shelvey level clogger.

We need to get Ross tied down. Man of the match for a lot of people yesterday, same number of assists this season as Liverpool's top assister and England regular Lallana. I don't believe this story is about Barkley 'holding the club to ransom', and I'm fully confident a deal will get sorted.

Archived