Brighton vs Huddersfield
Leicester vs Newcastle
Stoke vs Tottenham
Watford vs Burnley
West Brom vs Swansea

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a chance to find out what we need to do to become a top 10 side next season and how far off we currently are.

Even though personally I think we would be top 10 if we didn't fuck about playing 442 and abandoning the Rafa way for that bad spell when Lascelles was out.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Marc said:

Do you think Kane will start saturday @Storts ? Need him in my fantasy team if he's starting

Tough one because we have done really well without him and we have harder games coming up but still I’d be very surprised if he didn’t 

• Subscriber

I don't think this'll be easy. Got a bad feeling we'll draw and Burnley will sneak a win at Watford.

We've drawn our last three home games 1-1 in the league, all three we were favourites in, and I wouldn't be a jot surprised if that became four.

We weren't great at all last week but we got the job done.

Ndidi's a very big miss. Bigger than I think most realise. Silva's been a little disappointing for me and Ndidi actually does a real good job covering for Iborra's shortcomings. Silva has similar ones to Iborra.

I'd like to see Diabate start. He hasn't had a single game where he hasn't impressed me. He's such a positive player.

We turned in one of our best performances this season away at these. I hope for a repeat.

• Subscriber

Very quiet here this afternoon!

Brighton 1-1 Huddersfield with Propper sent off for Brighton.

Leicester 0-2 Newcastle who are set to move into the top ten.

Watford 1-2 Burnley who look set to secure that 7th place after coming from behind.

West Brom 1-0 Swansea - Swans getting dragged back in?

Stoke 1-2 Tottenham - Kane putting another nail in Stokes coffin.

Bournemouth 1-2 Crystal Palace, Zaha putting the visitors ahead.

• Administrator

Absolute rubbish from us. Newcastle did well to contain us but when Mahrez is triple marked at times we barely have anyone else who can step up and deliver. 

2nd goal for them was a shambles. Must have been a miscommunication between Morgan, Maguire and Schmeichel but one of the former 2 have to take charge in that situation. 

7th looks a far cry right now. Don't win against Burnley next week and that's the chance gone for 7th.

What an atmosphere that was. The concrete floor was actually shaking beneath our feet at times.

Rock solid away display. I reckon we are only 2 or 3 more talented players away from competing for 7th next year.

Assuming we keep Kenedy. Hopefully the chants encourage him to come back.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

What an atmosphere that was. The concrete floor was actually shaking beneath our feet at times.

Rock solid away display. I reckon we are only 2 or 3 more talented players away from competing for 7th next year.

Assuming we keep Kenedy. Hopefully the chants encourage him to come back.

was chatting to some Geordies before the game and they said you could have Kenedy for only £15m?! I'd be snapping Chelsea's hands off if that's the case.

You deserved the win today. We deserved nothing from it and it follows the same pattern of our previous home game against Bournemouth. Fortunate to get a goal at the end against them but if we got the equaliser against you late today it would have been lucky.

You set up perfectly as Benitez usually does. Couldn't break down through your defence or midfield.

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

was chatting to some Geordies before the game and they said you could have Kenedy for only £15m?! I'd be snapping Chelsea's hands off if that's the case.

You deserved the win today. We deserved nothing from it and it follows the same pattern of our previous home game against Bournemouth. Fortunate to get a goal at the end against them but if we got the equaliser against you late today it would have been lucky.

You set up perfectly as Benitez usually does. Couldn't break down through your defence or midfield.

I heard that about Kenedy today as well. Not sure what the source is. He is keen on another year but not sure if he wants a permanent.

We've got the best defence outside of the top 7 this season, it keeps us in nearly all games, gives us a chance. Need a good goalscorer at the other end though.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

I heard that about Kenedy today as well. Not sure what the source is. He is keen on another year but not sure if he wants a permanent.

We've got the best defence outside of the top 7 this season, it keeps us in nearly all games, gives us a chance. Need a good goalscorer at the other end though.

Slimani still crocked?

Is Mitrovic likely to be sold in summer?

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Slimani still crocked?

Is Mitrovic likely to be sold in summer?

Slimani played his first 15 minutes last week. Obviously not allowed to play today.

Doubt he will start next week as we are winning with Gayle and Perez at the moment. 

Mitrovic will be sold. Rafa isn't a fan. Looks like we can ask for a bit of money with his form for Fulham. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

Got to expand on that post from yesterday I made while drunk and in a foul mood from the game.

It was worryingly bad. We created one chance in 90 minutes, which we took, but still that isn't what we've been about at home in these types of games. Even usually against well organised sides (and I'll come to this) we usually found a way to crack it eventually at home.

Our home form is absolutely terrible since December.

Palace 0-3
Man Utd 2-2
Huddersfield 3-0
Watford 2-0
Swansea 1-1
Stoke 1-1
Bournemouth 1-1
Newcastle 1-2

The two wins it's worth adding were both against sides in absolutely dire form at the time. No complaints about the draw with Man Utd. The rest are frankly garbage.

I'm really torn on what to make of Puel. Yet again the manager's come in and had an initial burst of form, and he got us playing some genuinely brilliant football at times, but in the blink of an eye we've gone to shit. My torn-ness comes from the fact he plays a very different style of football to what we've been built on for the last few years and that naturally there's going to be some turbulence as he tries to change things, as quite frankly I think we've been found out playing that way and have never been quite as effective since losing the influential Kante.

But we have become far too easy to defend against. When usually leaky Stoke can come here and limit us to one Butland cock up, usually leaky Bournemouth can limit us to one last gasp bit of magic, we've got problems.

I'd still let him get his own players in as I think if we did sack him, as a lot of our fans are calling for, we'd end up back at square one, and for me I do think we need to clear a few out. We need to be ruthless this summer and start to rebuild the side. We need to phase certain players out of the side.

Decisions, I actually think the ref's probably got both the big ones wrong, I think it's a penalty on Mahrez, and Maguire's lucky to not get a red, but I can't watch us play like that and muster up any anger about the referee.

Anyhow, enough about us. Newcastle. A huge difference between the two sides yesterday is that one manager knew his sides limitations and the other seemed to not. Newcastle's side isn't filled with quality throughout (in fairness though, they were two very good finishes) but they're so well organised and I think when he gets some better players in, they will be fighting for that 7th place. Benitez has done a very good job this season and he's progressing that side nicely. I'm not at all surprised you've left with all three points. The way both teams have played in situations like yesterdays game gave me zero confidence we'd win it. Thought your away end was also one of the best here this season. Best end you've brought here in a long time. Benitez has brought a camaraderie amongst your fans and I honestly think that's all you can ask of a manager.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Don't beat yourself up too badly, we have only lost to Man City and Liverpool in the last 14 games :ph34r:

You're better than you get credit for to be fair. I think there's a decent chance you come above us. Our run in looked kind until it occurred we actually don't beat anyone below us at home anymore.

4 draws and 2 defeats from Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea, West Brom, Palace and Newcastle at home this season. That hasn't just cost us 7th, that's cost us potentially 6th.

It'll be criminal if you don't get a good backing this summer. It's a fantastic chance to take advantage of the state of the league. I don't feel like we should be as high as we are and I think a lot feel that way.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

You're better than you get credit for to be fair. I think there's a decent chance you come above us. Our run in looked kind until it occurred we actually don't beat anyone below us at home anymore.

4 draws and 2 defeats from Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea, West Brom, Palace and Newcastle at home this season. That hasn't just cost us 7th, that's cost us potentially 6th.

It'll be criminal if you don't get a good backing this summer. It's a fantastic chance to take advantage of the state of the league. I don't feel like we should be as high as we are and I think a lot feel that way.

We'll switch off now in the coming weeks. I thought your lot looked on the beach in the first half and the way they walked out for the second half was alarming. 

That spell where Newcastle players were going in to tackle after tackle full throttle and the fans were celebrating each one like a goal summed up the difference between the two teams on the day for me. 

Maybe the result will be the wake up call the players need for the run in.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

We'll switch off now in the coming weeks. I thought your lot looked on the beach in the first half and the way they walked out for the second half was alarming. 

That spell where Newcastle players were going in to tackle after tackle full throttle and the fans were celebrating each one like a goal summed up the difference between the two teams on the day for me. 

I saw that and thought exactly the same, and what's a bit sickening is that this fixture has brought out many instances like that where we've been doing what you did, and you've been the one meekly surrendering.

I said it in another thread but I'm still not completely convinced we're actually that desperate to get into Europe.

We'll lose at Burnley next week and then we can focus on next year.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

think that was my favourite part of the game. 4 lots of 50/50 tackles and I'm glad the referee let each one of them go until Diabate was fouled. Proper challenges and about the only thing the ref got right (still sore we didn't get the penalty first half).

Also realised the only reason you won was because we didn't shoot towards the kop 2nd half :ph34r: 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

think that was my favourite part of the game. 4 lots of 50/50 tackles and I'm glad the referee let each one of them go until Diabate was fouled. Proper challenges and about the only thing the ref got right (still sore we didn't get the penalty first half).

Also realised the only reason you won was because we didn't shoot towards the kop 2nd half :ph34r: 

Don't get me started on that. Absolutely hate it whether home or away. Actually takes something away from the game for me when teams kick the wrong way.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Don't get me started on that. Absolutely hate it whether home or away. Actually takes something away from the game for me when teams kick the wrong way.

can't remember the last time it happened and we won. 

also, we can be a proper laughing stock sometimes. spot the error...

DaQ8vH7X0AENGQk.jpg

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

can't remember the last time it happened and we won. 

also, we can be a proper laughing stock sometimes. spot the error...

DaQ8vH7X0AENGQk.jpg

Can't spell football xD

I think it happened at home to Brighton this season.

Considering the resources and individual quality around some of the clubs fighting relegation it's remarkable that Benitez has kept that team up with relative comfort. 

The game might have moved past his style at the elite level but it's nice that he can show he's still a quality manager in the top flight. 

Archived