• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA Champions League 2017/18 - Semi Final Draw

football forum

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

AS Roma released this on their official webpage last night for their fans in the usual manner so as to apply for official club tickets for games. This before the Champions League Semi-Final draw which is to be held today (Friday) at 14:00hrs bst.

They soon pulled it down but it's going to be interesting to see what occurs.

image.jpeg

I would have called bullshit but well..... there you have it

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I would have called bullshit but well..... there you have it

The draw is 50/50 at this stage but all the same that's an official announcement due to fixture changes and ticket organisation. Also there's the other aspect of the draw which reduces the odds to 25% with the home and away part to it... There we have it!

You have to give it to Klopp and Liverpool Football Club!  What a wonderful achievement to be in the Champions League Semi-Finals... Who would've thought this because this is the tournament modern European football is set out to achiever and he's managed it because he's a top coach.  His football may be based on chaos and mayhem, but it's a great watch and he's got the Liverpool fans dreaming for sure.

The thing is that Liverpool are a traditional great of the European Cup and it has shown once again. One of the truly historical clubs and I'm really happy for them.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

You have to give it to Klopp and Liverpool Football Club!  What a wonderful achievement to be in the Champions League Semi-Finals... Who would've thought this because this is the tournament modern European football is set out to achiever and he's managed it because he's a top coach.  His football may be based on chaos and mayhem, but it's a great watch and he's got the Liverpool fans dreaming for sure.

The thing is that Liverpool are a traditional great of the European Cup and it has shown once again. One of the truly historical clubs and I'm really happy for them.

I have to agree... Klopp has managed to make Liverpool a thoroughly entertaining side to watch these days... If he could sort out the defence to be a bit more disciplined you have to wonder where they could be heading provided they can keep the momentum up of course... 

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I have to agree... Klopp has managed to make Liverpool a thoroughly entertaining side to watch these days... If he could sort out the defence to be a bit more disciplined you have to wonder where they could be heading provided they can keep the momentum up of course... 

Well as far as I'm concerned all the signs are there to be able to compete at all levels.  To dominate domestically with Manchester City around and all that that lot are about isn't easy, but they'll be there or there abouts consistently for me.  Plus... It's all about the Champions League and they've knocked out a club that's being designed specifically for that. The Premier League means very little to the City owners.

The Boston Derby :):) 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-mad-night-for-european-soccerand-a-pair-of-boston-owners-1523403212

MANCHESTER, England—Two upsets 1,300 miles apart lit up European soccer’s most prestigious tournament on Tuesday night, one in Manchester and one in Rome. But the impact of those results, which stunned the soccer world, was felt by fans far beyond either city.

Specifically by a couple of Boston-based billionaires with a habit of buying sports teams: John W. Henry and James Pallotta.

Neither name is exactly chanted from the stands here in Europe, but without their investments, Tuesday night’s stunning results in the Champions League might never have happened. First, Henry’s Liverpool—the team he acquired in 2010 after helping to turn around the Boston Red Sox—knocked off the Premier League’s dominant force, Manchester City. Then, in Italy, Pallotta’s Roma stunned Spanish giant Barcelona, marking the club’s most significant result since he added it to a portfolio that also includes the Boston Celtics in 2011.

Between them, Henry and Pallotta have sunk over $1 billion into their respective clubs. But in European soccer, that is simply the price of doing business. Despite years of investment, this is the first time in either one of their tenures that their clubs have qualified for Europe’s final four. There, they can expect to meet perennial contenders Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, who are both in commanding positions in their own quarterfinals. (The draw to determine the semifinal lineup will be made on Friday.)

“It’s quite a cool moment,” Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp said.

Going into Tuesday’s games, Liverpool’s qualification seemed more likely, since the club had already done the hardest part of the job last week by sinking City 3-0 in the first leg. Roma, meanwhile, looked all but sunk. The Italian side had lost its first game against Barcelona 4-1—95% of the time, that result leads to elimination.

But the fightback began early. Edin Dzeko put Roma in front in the 6th minute and Barça never found an extra gear. By the end of the night in a delirious Stadio Olimpico, the score was 3-0. Roma had become only the third club in Champions League history to advance after losing a first leg by at least three goals. The others were Deportivo La Coruna, which stunned AC Milan in 2004, and Barcelona, which stormed back against Paris Saint-Germain last spring.

“I really thought it’s a joke,” Klopp said here after discovering the result. “Not that I don’t respect Roma.”

Klopp lamented that he hadn’t been able to catch any of that game, because he was trying to prevent Manchester City from pulling off a comeback of its own. And he knew from the outset that City manager Pep Guardiola, widely regarded as the best in the world, would pull out all the stops.

Guardiola lined up his team in an extremely aggressive 3-1-3-3 designed to blitz Liverpool straight from kickoff. The game was 90 minutes long, but City knew its hopes hinged on treating it like a 10-minute affair. Score quickly and anything was possible.

When Gabriel Jesus put City ahead in just the second minute of play, it looked like the comeback was on. The team with the most potent attack in the country would need just two more to force extra time. “We saw the lineup of Man City,” Klopp said. “They took all the risks and it could have worked.”

But Liverpool dug in. The players held their breath when City’s Bernardo Silva hit the post. They survived a debatable disallowed goal. And they defended well enough to go into halftime with the damage limited to 1-0. For 45 minutes, they had more or less weathered the storm. Liverpool returned for the second half only to find that Guardiola had been banished to the stands for mouthing off to the referee and that his players were running out of gas.

City’s plan went so awry that Liverpool was even able to sneak in for a couple of goals. The 2-1 victory, which made it 5-1 over the two legs, meant that on top of every other accolade, Klopp’s team also became the first to defeat a side managed by Guardiola three times in the same season.

“These numbers are usually not possible,” Klopp said. “I really think they are the best team in the world at the moment. That’s how it is. But I knew we could beat them. That doesn’t make us better than them. That’s football. That’s what makes it so cool.”

Write to Joshua Robinson at joshua.robinson@wsj.com

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I have to agree... Klopp has managed to make Liverpool a thoroughly entertaining side to watch these days... If he could sort out the defence to be a bit more disciplined you have to wonder where they could be heading provided they can keep the momentum up of course..

He's done that since January

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

I can't look past Real winning it now. I reckon Liverpool would beat them but only over 2 legs. I don't see Bayern as being anything extra special at all and will likely be beaten comfortably. 

Real Vs Liverpool final. 

Indeed... To sort out Real Madrid it's over two legs without a shadow of a doubt. But Atlético Madrid should've done it both times on a one off game and it was bad luck that it didn't occur.  Luck doesn't always side with you though.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

AS Roma released this on their official webpage last night for their fans in the usual manner so as to apply for official club tickets for games. This before the Champions League Semi-Final draw which is to be held today (Friday) at 14:00hrs bst.

They soon pulled it down but it's going to be interesting to see what occurs.

image.jpeg

The odds of prediciting correctly the club Roma will play are 1/3.

Predicting which fixture will be played at their home ground is 1/2.

Predicting whether the match will be on the 1st or 2nd of May is also 1/2.

Multiply them and we get a 1/12 chance of predicting everything correctly or 8.33%. That's pretty suspicious.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Multiply them and we get a 1/12 chance of predicting everything correctly or 8.33%. That's pretty suspicious.

Do you want a job as an accountant and business statistician? O.o

On a serious note... The fact they (Roma) posted that on their website is suspicious.

Just now, SirBalon said:

On a serious note... The fact they (Roma) posted that on their website is suspicious.

That second one is my actual job xD

And yeah that's what I'm saying. To get all of that right is fairly unlikely unless they knew beforehand.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not at all... not sure what you might be implying with those remarks... I reckon it was all just innocent and coincidental... They knew they would be in the next round and just plumped for one of the possible teams they might get.. just a random lucky guess, nothing suspicious about it! 

Good to see the powers that be are genuinely putting our minds at rest with their stance on corruption and match fixing... without them at the helm I doubt I would ever get a peaceful nights sleep...  

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Each club will have prepared for each scenario.

Just now, LFCMike said:

Each club will have prepared for each scenario.

Yeah but why release one set of 3 possible opponents to the season ticket holders? If anything it should have just been a placeholder type thing.

I mean clearly someone made a mistake, they didn't intend to release it. But it does lend itself to Sepp Blatter's claim that all of these draws are decided well before the draw. And he was president of FIFA so he knows a thing or 2million about corruption.

Sentiments aside, the clash between Liverpool v Roma is something that really does get me excited. It's a much better European tie than Liverpool v Barcelona no matter the brand names. I reckon it's going to be memorable from both parties because anyone that thinks Roma are an easy prey are very mistaken. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived