talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA Champions League 2017/18 - Semi Final Draw

football forum

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but why release one set of 3 possible opponents to the season ticket holders? If anything it should have just been a placeholder type thing.

I mean clearly someone made a mistake, they didn't intend to release it. But it does lend itself to Sepp Blatter's claim that all of these draws are decided well before the draw. And he was president of FIFA so he knows a thing or 2million about corruption.

Like you said, someone made a mistake

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SirBalon said:

Sentiments aside, the clash between Liverpool v Roma is something that really does get me excited. It's a much better European tie than Liverpool v Barcelona no matter the brand names. I reckon it's going to be memorable from both parties because anyone that thinks Roma are an easy prey are very mistaken. 

Didn't some Spanish paper mock Roma when Barca drew them? Calling them un bonbon or some shite.

Roma are obviously good because they knocked Barca out though. I will be in LFC clench mode until the round is over tbh. Can probably turn a lot of coal into diamonds in this short timespan.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Like you said, someone made a mistake

I mean it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it was just a lucky guess, but the odds are well against that.

Having a rigged draw doesn't necessarily mean the whole competition is rigged though.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't some Spanish paper mock Roma when Barca drew them? Calling them un bonbon or some shite.

Roma are obviously good because they knocked Barca out though. I will be in LFC clench mode until the round is over tbh. Can probably turn a lot of coal into diamonds in this short timespan.

Anything that comes from the Spanish sports press has to be analysed from the journalistic source mate.  There are first class sports journalists in Spain and then there are trol-like idiots like on El Chiringuito (who subsequently "some of them" have jobs as journalists).

It was probably a Madrid based journalist seeing as it was a reference to "ease" on the question of the draw.  Not excusing the Barcelona based sports journalists with that as they do the same thing in return to be fair.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Anything that comes from the Spanish sports press has to be analysed from the journalistic source mate.  There are first class sports journalists in Spain and then there are trol-like idiots like on El Chiringuito (who subsequently "some of them" have jobs as journalists).

It was probably a Madrid based journalist seeing as it was a reference to "ease" on the question of the draw.  Not excusing the Barcelona based sports journalists with that as they do the same thing in return to be fair.

My favourite was "Esto es Anfield, Y QUE?" When Madrid came during the Rafa era.

And then they got humiliated.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My favourite was "Esto es Anfield, Y QUE?" When Madrid came during the Rafa era.

And then they got humiliated.

That actually wasn't a journalist but the then President of Real Madrid (Vicente Boluda) which subsequently made the world's press especially the Catalan press to mock him and Real Madrid. Even to this day they're still reminded of this like when they lost the Copa del Rey Final to Deportivo La Coruña on their centenary when they mocked Deportivo beforehand making them seem like a street team.  Part of the reason (there are obviously many more reasons and more important ones) as to why I dislike Real so much. 

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sentiments aside, the clash between Liverpool v Roma is something that really does get me excited. It's a much better European tie than Liverpool v Barcelona no matter the brand names. I reckon it's going to be memorable from both parties because anyone that thinks Roma are an easy prey are very mistaken. 

this draw is very much interesting, two of this year's surprises.    Only their loyal supporters are natural to cheer for their team.   But for us neutrals, i can't decide who to applaud.    I want Roma to win due to Batistuta's ( im a fan of his ) involvement years gone past but i want Liverpool to win too coz they've beaten that stupid Pep.

Just now, SirBalon said:

That actually wasn't a journalist but the then President of Real Madrid (Vicente Boluda) which subsequently made the world's press especially the Catalan press to mock him and Real Madrid. Even to this day they're still reminded of this like when they lost the Copa del Rey Final to Deportivo La Coruña on their centenary when they mocked Deportivo beforehand making them seem like a street team.  Part of the reason (there are obviously many more reasons and more important ones) as to why I dislike Real so much. 

Wow it's much worse that he was the club president. Also incredibly unprofessional... and unnecessarily opens up the club to some deserved humiliation when the chatting shite doesn't pan out for them.

Both the Spanish giants though have a weirdly unprofessional media relationship though, in my eyes. 

Just now, bozziovai said:

this draw is very much interesting, two of this year's surprises.    Only their loyal supporters are natural to cheer for their team.   But for us neutrals, i can't decide who to applaud.    I want Roma to win due to Batistuta's ( im a fan of his ) involvement years gone past but i want Liverpool to win too coz they've beaten that stupid Pep.

Batigol is a strange phenomenon in my view because I personally associate him a lot more with La Fiore than Roma.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wow it's much worse that he was the club president. Also incredibly unprofessional... and unnecessarily opens up the club to some deserved humiliation when the chatting shite doesn't pan out for them.

Both the Spanish giants though have a weirdly unprofessional media relationship though, in my eyes. 

Both the Spanish giants are manipulated and controlled by the press. One must also remember that both clubs are owned by the fans which gives a different dimension to how the press decide to process biased "news" mate.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Batigol is a strange phenomenon in my view because I personally associate him a lot more with La Fiore than Roma.

oh yes.   Fiore and Bati will always be the husband and wife.    Roma was only his mistress to relieve him of his stress from not winning a Scudetto with his wife ( Fiore ).

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I associate him with Roma's scudetto. Man's a Series A legend though.

He's the element missing for this Argentina side up front which makes you think how overrated their front players are (obviously except for Messi who has been their everything for too long). Gabriel Batistuta is a football legend worldwide.

1 hour ago, Babycakes said:

I will be on holiday when we play Roma in the 2nd leg, I didn't time that right did I? We will have to find somewhere to watch it.

Where are you going? I've found that most places will have an Irish pub with the match somewhere.

It's really odd but I don't get why it would be fixed? The biggest draw in terms of interest is Real Madrid, a Real Madrid v Bayern Munich clash would be the biggest tie in the final followed by Real Madrid v Liverpool. It's strange but I see no reason for fixing it as it doesn't go along with any logical reasoning, also the clubs would all have to be in on it

3 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They might have set all possible outcomes up so they were ready. 

But the fixture change and ticket option (for three hours before being taken down) on the official AS Roma website was the one you see in that image.

ArtfulDodger has alluded to it and I go along with that thinking... The clubs are actually in on it which actually makes sense to be honest on why nobody has ever spoken out officially.

17 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's really odd but I don't get why it would be fixed? The biggest draw in terms of interest is Real Madrid, a Real Madrid v Bayern Munich clash would be the biggest tie in the final followed by Real Madrid v Liverpool. It's strange but I see no reason for fixing it as it doesn't go along with any logical reasoning, also the clubs would all have to be in on it

This is what I wonder as well. I have no trouble believing draws like this are or have at one point been rigged to give bigger teams an easier path to the later stages of the competition as that would increase viewership... but surely that would've meant Madrid and Bayern avoiding each other in the semi-final. Or do they want to ensure at least one of those teams is in the final?

What also makes me doubt this particular case is that the guy in charge of putting the ticket sales online is not even near the upper echelons of the organization. For a person like that to be aware of the draw before it actually takes place would imply a conspiracy that potentially involves thousands of people. It is practically impossible to keep a secret of that magnitude under the rug for even a day, let alone years.

If UEFA rigs these, only a few people in the very top of the organization would be privy to it. Even sharing this information with the administration of different clubs seems a huge and unnecessary risk.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived