talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Question for everyone, not just the United contingent. What do you honestly think it will take for Solskjaer to get sacked? Keep thinking to myself we should be doing better than this and then I look at the side and think 9th is about right. There’s absolutely no evidence to suggest these players can do better than what they are currently delivering.

Reckon lose a few more games and continue to play turgid football. 

Think a lot may depend on where you may be at certain points in the season. Like you say 9th is about right compared to the negative press associated with OGS and how/where Utd are at right now.

But if on Jan 1st after a busy Xmas period you find yourself 14th for example, and only 1 point above relegation, maybe the axe begins to fall. Find yourself in 8/9th this time next month and is it that bad?

The other thing is probably that Man Utd don't want to fork out millions on compensation 1) for OGS if they sack him and 2) to prise a manager away from another club. Who knows - perhaps Man Utd are just waiting for the right person to be available and until that happens, Solskjaer is safe. He doesn't seem to have proverbially lost the dressing room just yet otherwise you wouldn't really be picking up many points as you have done. 

Getting knocked out of the Europa League may signal the end.

Solskjaer has to be on thin ice.   It's got to be getting to a point where top players won't come to United.  The papers have us favourites for Sancho and Haaland in January, but why would they come?  I think if we lose the next two games and the Board is finding that our run of play is jeopardizing recruitment of top talent coming in this January, then Solskjear wont make it to Christmas.   Make a deal with Ponchettino that covers any lose he will suffer if he signs and hope he can bring in some decent players in January.

13 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Question for everyone, not just the United contingent. What do you honestly think it will take for Solskjaer to get sacked? Keep thinking to myself we should be doing better than this and then I look at the side and think 9th is about right. There’s absolutely no evidence to suggest these players can do better than what they are currently delivering.

I imagine Woodward is hesitant to sack him after getting rid of Mourinho, probably keen to find some consistency. I think the odd win between these draws and losses have probably given him some time but you just can’t go into the January window with him still in charge.

14 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

It should of been enough after today's result against that cupcake team. He wont make it past Christmas if the team struggles versus spurs and citeh. 

That would be a shocker really since they can't beat anyone at the moment. Of course they will struggle mate, and i am not even taking the piss. If he doesn't manage to get results against these team and i am not talking about draws he is gone. No reason to keep him, this team has no head or tail and they look terrible in every department. 

As you said Christmas at best if he doesn't produce a miracle.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

A bad losing run. I can get what you’re saying about there’s no evidence the players can do better, but some of these performances are just inexcusable.

3-4 losses in a row and I think Ole’s a dead man walking.

Honestly though it doesn’t address the larger problem. Ed Woodward shouldn’t be making football decisions at United

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

We should lose to Spurs and Citeh at least.

The one handy thing about Spurs right now is that while Mourinho's gotten them back to winning ways again... they still look a bit wonky at the back - so there's always a chance to sneak a few goals. But if I were a United fan, what I'd be worried about is you just know Jose Mourinho would absolutely love to leave egg all over Ed Woodward's face and absolutely spank United here. And it's one of those weird situations where I fully believe the opposing manager knows the squad's strengths and weaknesses better than the manager (that comes off as a slight against Solksjaer… and it is - he's got no business managing Man Utd).

The same is actually true of City too. But the thing about City is their attack is so ridiculous that any time they go forward they look like there's a good chance you're going to score - and if Ole does the thing he's tended to do where he sets the side up to sit deep and counter, yeah I think United will have 3-4 really good chances in the match... but City will have a ridiculous number of chances and I'm not sure how your defense would do being under constant pressure from that relentless attack.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were... I'd guess you do lose to both of them. If that happens, there's a good chance you're looking weirdly close to the bottom of the table and that might be enough pressure to get rid of Solksjaer. The time to get rid of him is now - Poch is available and there's a transfer window coming up.

Tbh, this is all reminding me a lot of Hodgson's time with us. A manager that's clearly out of his depth at the level he's expected to perform. A media that's really friendly to him despite this obvious out-of-depthness - which buys him far more time than he really should have. Solskjaer's recent media comments have been strangely Hodgson-at-Liverpool-esque… recently he came out and said he's not bothered with where United are in the league table. That's absolutely absurd to me, it's a step away from Hodgson's "we're not too big for a relegation battle."

United are too big for a relegation battle and if they lose the next 2, I don't know if the reality of the league table can be ignored anymore. But this is all really why a manager like Solksjaer with really really limited experience at this level shouldn't have been given the job after a turnaround of fortunes during the honeymoon period at the club - that was the opportune time to just see out the season and ride the high of an unpopular manager being replaced by a club legend for as long as that would last, while scoping out which top tier managers would be interested in spending a serious amount of cash rebuilding United.

Instead, United have once again spent a serious amount of cash and are now looking like they'll be handing another massive pile of cash to a new manager. You don't end up with a string of expensive rebuilds that keep failing this badly without serious problems above the manager - although right now, I think the ineptitude of the current manager is probably the most pressing issue at United.

There's Poch or Allegri out there - they might not want to come into the job mid-season, but the club should be working on getting on of them into the club ASAP. The issue there is if they want to come in at the end of the season, I still think Solksjaer needs to be sacked and a new interim manager put in place. Because for as good as the form was when he first came in, that honeymoon period is well and truly over - I think he's lost the squad and tactically he's not shown anything special. So really, you'd want whoever is willing to come in to take the job right now.

Honestly, it's astounding that a club as wealthy and profitable as United has really been so mismanaged from the top down. When did David Gill step down, because if Ferguson managed to still be successful working with the current crop of morons at the club... he deserves a fucking medal of some sort ("but Gonzo, he's already been knighted"). It's honestly so careless from the Glazers because you've spent the money to be so much better than you are. There really is no excuse other than incompetence. The one silver lining is that while the club have been just so ridiculously careless... you've still got the resources to be successful if you ever do hire competent people again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Why is there a rumor going about United had planned a testimonial for Phil Jones but the player denied wanting one because he feared no one would go...?

A reporter from The Athletic reported it - and considering the reputation those journalists have, everyone else is running with it as it's likely true.

A bit sad for him, tbh, to spend 10 years at a club and have a few winners medals, but mostly being known as a lad who didn't really deliver on the potential he had as a young player (which is actually pretty mental considering how great he was when he came through at Blackburn) and instead being known for making some pretty dire errors and having a funny face while you play.

But also definitely a bit funny.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A reporter from The Athletic reported it - and considering the reputation those journalists have, everyone else is running with it as it's likely true.

A bit sad for him, tbh, to spend 10 years at a club and have a few winners medals, but mostly being known as a lad who didn't really deliver on the potential he had as a young player (which is actually pretty mental considering how great he was when he came through at Blackburn) and instead being known for making some pretty dire errors and having a funny face while you play.

But also definitely a bit funny.

xD

• Subscriber

That Ole plus a lot of other issues with that overpaid toss-pot. 

Quote.thumb.png.fe7cae96d75e110c02642389cd175aa4.png

Manchester United boss Solskjaer says he wants the club to be quicker in the transfer market, hinting that executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward left deals late last summer. (Evening Standard)

Edited by CaaC (John)

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it says something about either Solksjaer or the squad that they really only turn up for the big games and look pretty shite against clubs you'd expect them to look good against.

That's the problem in a nutshell.   Great performance today, but its frustrating that we don't show up for games against teams we should be expected to beat.   Is it that Solsksjaer can not motivate the players to turn out week to week, or is it the players can only get up for top clubs.

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

That's the problem in a nutshell.   Great performance today, but its frustrating that we don't show up for games against teams we should be expected to beat.   Is it that Solsksjaer can not motivate the players to turn out week to week, or is it the players can only get up for top clubs.

Imo part of the problem is the tactics. United seem to be at their best against the sides that are more open and come at them with possession, then being absolutely ruthless on the counter. 

But up against sides that on most days would just be content with winning a point at United that come and are going to sit back deep and force United to come at them... when typically that’s what all of us watching English football would expect United to thrive.

Tbh I don’t know if this is a problem with just Solksjaer, or an overall lack of creativity at United right now - this problem existed under Mourinho too. Or if it’s a mentality issue, because his start was pretty fucking impressive.

However you slice it, it’s certainly a strange and interesting issue. Because you certainly can’t say a side is all that bad when they perform in big matches. But it’s a weird consistency issue.

On 05/12/2019 at 05:44, Redcanuck said:

Is he still your manager for the future?

On 06/12/2019 at 10:20, The Liquidator said:

Is he still your manager for the future?

I do not think so, but I dont do the hiring and firing,    To me he has not shown he has the tactical nuance to break down sides that dont come out to play or to get players to play to their ability when we are not playing big clubs.  Beating Spurs and City has given him breathing room and he will keep his job til near the end of the season if not longer.  I suspect the board will give him the next two transfer windows to bring in the 4 or 5 top players we still need.